Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help Picking Out First Pistol

What's the purpose of the handgun and why did you settle on those VS a lot of other very good options?

Of those you listed I'd say get the 2022 or the APX.

Other suggestions:
    Smith & Wesson M&P or SD9
    Glock
    Beretta 92 or PX4
    Anything HK
    Probably a few I'm forgetting.

Thanks guys, and thank you RevolveRob and Vcdgrips. Which ever gun I decide on, I will definitely follow your guy's advice. I plan on taking a carry conceal class at a gun shop down the street from me.

My plan for the gun is carrying and home defense. I've just never found glocks appealing. Alot of people have told me that glocks are not that accurate aswell but I don't know from personal experience.

The STEYR seemed interesting because of the angle of the grip. Seems to have a very low bore axis, so less muzzle flip. The SIG has the highest bore axis but the slide is heavier which absorbs some of the recoil. I think i have it narrowed down to these 2 guns.

Bigghoss, these are just the guns that I have seen that interested me. I've spent hours and hours looking at hundreds of guns and reading about them.

I know everyone likes glocks and m&p but I just don't want them. A buddy told me that the gun your most confident with IS the best gun, and with that being said those 2 just are not for me.

I've looked at hk and they have some very nice guns guns but the only ones in my price range is the vp9.

Get the beretta apx. Right now they have a promo where you get 4 free mags, and I’ve seen them around the $425 mark

Buy 500 rounds of brass cased range ammo and 100 rounds of sd ammo

Shoot the 500 rounds of range ammo, and 40-50 rounds of SD ammo and figure out if shooting is something you like.

I can’t disagree with everyone that says get a couple thousand rounds of ammo and holsters, mag pouches, weekends of training. But often, people can’t come out of the gate and drop $2,000 on something they might not even enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

If I were in your shoes I’d largely ignore the internet bore axis argument, especially when it comes to 9mm. It’s really only a factor with high-end competition shooters who are looking to shave fractions of a second off their times.

When I bring my Glock, 1911 or Beretta (!) to the Sig Sauer Academy classes and competitions, I am guaranteed to be outpaced by guys running P226s. Why? Practice. Others do it a lot more than I do and it shows.

With the APX vs SP2022, I’d ask what type of trigger setup you’d rather learn on- the APX’s consistent striker-fired trigger pull or the Sig’s DA/SA with a decocker. Striker guns are usually easier for new shooters to hit what they’re aiming at while DA/SA is considered safer for holstering. There is no right or wrong answer, it’s largely personal preference.

Sometimes in order to figure out what works, you simply have to choose one and get experience before recognizing why something else is popular or not. This can get expensive and frustrating at times, but sometimes it's the only way to really learn the necessary lessons. Get what you want, see if it works and switch as necessary down the road.
    Last edited by EMC; 04-11-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKHolley View Post
    Bigghoss, these are just the guns that I have seen that interested me. I've spent hours and hours looking at hundreds of guns and reading about them.

I know everyone likes glocks and m&p but I just don't want them. A buddy told me that the gun your most confident with IS the best gun, and with that being said those 2 just are not for me.

I've looked at hk and they have some very nice guns guns but the only ones in my price range is the vp9.
    You've got some great advice so far. Here are my thoughts:

My recommendation is to buy a gun that has been in production for a while, and has a solid reputation for being well-engineered. Steer clear of Unicorns. As RR already suggested only gun on your list that I would recommend is the Sig SP2022, but there are better options IMO:

CZ P-07
    HK P30
    Beretta 92 or PX4

But: do you want a striker-fired or traditional double-action gun? If striker, have a look at the HK VP-9 and Sig p320. The APX and CZ P-10c are looking promising, but for me they're not sufficiently vetted yet.

And... not everyone likes M&Ps :-)
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-11-2018 at 03:05 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter

DA/SA?

Since you do have DA/SA options on your list (the SP2022 and FNXs... Canik too? ) I figure I'll make a humble case for the hammer/decocker life...

For many, it's "more things to learn/master." For me, it's the best of both worlds: Greater peace of mind when carrying decocked + Better feel/precision with the single-action pull. That is all subjective, of course. But it may be worth trying both platforms before you buy, to see which suits you. Glocks, M&Ps, etc. are good guns... just not my personal preference.

I have no personal experience with SP2022, but it seems to be highly regarded. I can vouch for the Beretta 92c and the PX4c as excellent "intermediate" sized guns. A Sig P239 offers something a bit smaller and thinner, though with less capacity. I've run my PX4c in a few steel matches and done okay. The Sig P239 gets more carry time than either Beretta.

Good luck.

The collarary of the rule of uncommon guns is that common guns are common for a reason. Think of a Glock 19 more as a temporary training tool. For one, the world is plain full of people who know how to work on them, or sell parts and accessories. Another factor is that will probably be the gun your instructor uses. Get one, get training, then shoot it a whole lot. If you can master the various test and drills on this page, then you will have a really good idea of what you are really looking for in a gun.

Now, if you're the type of person who likes shopping around and visiting gun shows and gun shops, there's another technique. Take a day to check around your local gun suppliers. Check the used cases for 9mm service pistols in the $300-400 range- there's a lot of suggestions for models to look at, but stick to the majors (Glock, H&K, Sig, CZ, Beretta, S&W). Look for a good "shooter grade" pistol- one that's seen some finish wear, but is mechanically sound. Congrats, that's your platform. That's how I wound up with the Beretta 92 series.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    JK
    Let me be a bit more direct. Observe that in 19+ responses, no one is particularly recommending any of the pistols you outlined. A few postings have defaulted to of what you listed...then go APX or 2022.
    Multiple posters have "suggested" you consider Glock, M&P, HK and other more developed Berettas models.

Broadly speaking, the Sig 2022 is a bit of an afterthought to Sig, the market itself and accessory makers.The Steyr is a non starter.

It's your money, buy what you want. But you came here and asked. If all you are going to do is plink, buy whatever you want.

If there is any chance you are ever going to bet your life on this pistol, particularly after training with it in a 2 day class environment and ultimately carry it concealed out in the world, you have been given far better choices.

Be safe and well.

User Tag List