Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help identifying this S&W revolver

The gap at the back of the cylinder suggests it's not recessed.

.38 Specials never were.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
    .38 Specials never were.
    Correct. Only the .357 Magnums were recessed in the K-frames (along with the .22s). The N-frame Outdoorsman in .38 Special was also.
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

The .38-44 Outdoorsman in the next room does NOT have a recessed cylinder. Nor have the others I have seen or the ones shown on the S&W board.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter
    The .38-44 Outdoorsman in the next room does NOT have a recessed cylinder. Nor have the others I have seen or the ones shown on the S&W board.
    I recall that one of the two I had did (best recollection of a 61 year old brain).

Agreed- it appears to be a re-worked Combat Masterpiece (possible a model marked 15.) Any way we can see the SN#? Either on the butt or inside the cylinder frame/yoke area (which should also show the model number if there is one...)

My 1960 vintage Mod-23 Outdoorsman https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....amp-W-Model-23 is not recessed:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Det1397; 04-11-2018 at 10:37 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I would guess, without any research, if you found a factory recessed Model 15, it would probably be worth a fair amount.
    Sorry. Had to fix that in order to eliminate Bubba's Live Bait and Gunsmithing.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    Agreed- it appears to be a re-worked Combat Masterpiece (possible a model marked 15.) Any way we can see the SN#? Either on the butt or inside the cylinder frame/yoke area (which should also show the model number if there is one...)

My 1960 vintage Mod-23 Outdoorsman https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....amp-W-Model-23 is not recessed:
    Your pic makes me cry. My Outdoorsman's are both in my book of tears. And a model numbered Outdoorsman is extremely rare, with SCSW indicating there were likely less than a 100 of them.
    Last edited by Wayne Dobbs; 04-16-2018 at 07:14 AM.

User Tag List