Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: M1A worth any time?

I have a 70's manufactured Springfield, back when they had real GI parts and TRW bolts, etc. It probably needs a new barrel but is still about 1.5 MOA with my match loads. If I were getting a new one today I would go for the James River Armory version, a friend bought one and it is much better quality than what Springfield makes now based on the samples I have seen.

Not for everybody, and I don't disagree with the criticisms above at all, but I started competition shooting with one in 1986 and decided I will always have one. If you gave me a mini-14 I would only head to the pawnshop and dump it. I am sure Ruger improved it since the 80's, but back then those guns were minute of barn door POS guns.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    Given the lack of pistol grip, unscary wood stock and common ten round mags, the M1A is starting to look like a reasonable option for all but the most restrictive ban states. Obviously ammo is heavy and we're not talking great accuracy, but there are threads about social bolt guns and lever guns at this point.

What would one need to know before looking in this direction? Is there anything here worth the time and money?
    I would have no issue purchasing a current manufacture M1A. The two manufacturers I'd look at are Springfield Armory (lifetime warranty) and James River Armory. SAI has the advantage with the warranty, James River is new but are using forged receivers from BULA Defense. Price points are similar.

As far as accuracy, you are correct. The M1A is a 2-4 MOA rifle using standard ball, a little better with match grade ammo. Getting a sub-MOA rifle takes armorer/gunsmith skill and money.

I've shot enough ammo through a M1A to burn out a barrel. If ammo pricing was back to the days of South African surplus, I'd burn out another.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I have a 70's manufactured Springfield, back when they had real GI parts and TRW bolts, etc. It probably needs a new barrel but is still about 1.5 MOA with my match loads. If I were getting a new one today I would go for the James River Armory version, a friend bought one and it is much better quality than what Springfield makes now based on the samples I have seen.

Not for everybody, and I don't disagree with the criticisms above at all, but I started competition shooting with one in 1986 and decided I will always have one. If you gave me a mini-14 I would only head to the pawnshop and dump it. I am sure Ruger improved it since the 80's, but back then those guns were minute of barn door POS guns.
    The newer 500 series Mini 14's are not tack drivers but at 3 ish MOA, plus or minus. They are significantly more accurate than the old style. About the same as most commercial M1A's.

The barrels of the new ones are 16" vs 18" and are noticeably thicker in profile. The older minis often benefit from having the barrel cut back to 16". Reduces whip / barrel flex.

I only have a Garand because I think it’s cool; but I only have long guns because I think they’re cool. If I need to shoot someone, I’m not going to go get a gun.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    having the barrel cut back to 16". Reduces whip / barrel flex.
    I remember guys screwing moveable weights onto "tuning spots" the old barrels to get harmonics under control. Glad to hear Ruger finally saw the light and put a heavier barrel on those now.

Quote Originally Posted by jellydonut View Post

If I lived in a ban state, I'd get the Ares SCR instead. Perhaps one day they'll even make a big bore version.
    I live in the PRK, and I recently picked up an SCR lower. They are fairly popular here.

And at least one configuration of said rifle is NYC approved, so there is that...

http://www.guns.com/2015/05/21/ares-...-nyc-approval/

— Michael

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Interesting, thanks to those that replied. I doubt I ever actually get one, they are rather pricey for a "because it's cool" purchase that I'd probably never actually shoot enough to bother with.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Interesting, thanks to those that replied. I doubt I ever actually get one, they are rather pricey for a "because it's cool" purchase that I'd probably never actually shoot enough to bother with.
    Agree. I'd rather spend the money on a DMR clone or a long range rig.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    I only have a Garand because I think it’s cool; but I only have long guns because I think they’re cool. If I need to shoot someone, I’m not going to go get a gun.
    Very true. 98% of the guns in my safe are only there because I think they're cool. All of my rifles fall into that category and the newest is an FAL. When I could get a 1k round case of surplus ammo for $75 they were shot a lot more. Now, maybe two or three times a year. My only true working rifle is the one the State issues me and I'll turn that in, in less than a year. To each his own, but I'm primarily a handgunner because those have always had the most practical everyday input in my life.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 04-10-2018 at 08:42 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

FALs are *way* cool.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List