Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock armorer’s course: worth it for the amateur?

Glock armorer’s course: worth it for the amateur?

As the title states. Saw that a range in my area is hosting the course this summer. $250 for the day. I’m sort of ambivalent; I have already detail stripped several of my Glocks over the years, and seem to do ok with replacing connectors, respringing, etc. I’m sure I’d learn something, but I’m not sure I’d learn $250 worth for the day. Thoughts from graduates?

Thanks in advance for the input, folks.

CWM11B
    I take it every couple of years, even though I don't carry a Glock nor have I ever been issued one. I own a few, shoot them occasionally, and some of the folks I conduct training for do use them. The only advantage I see for you is the ability to buy certain OEM parts directly from them. I can't recall if it is some or all parts, but do seem to remember you have to be an armorer to buy.
    The only complaint I have about the class (and I write it on every end of course eval) is that it could be done in about 4 hours if they would ditch the infomercial that is the first half of the day. I have pointed out that if folks are in your armorer class, you probably don't need to sell them on the platform.

I did the armorer in 2004 and the two day "advanced armorer" in Smyrna back in 2008. If you know the 100% take down routine you will learn nothing in basic and I agree with CWM11B the chief reason to attend in that case is to have the OEM direct purchase discount, which is pretty decent for buying parts and stocking a repair kit, etc. But for most people I am guessing the 30-40% armorer discount is at best a break even for what they paid for the class. For people who don't know the 100% take down process it will give them confidence to do that. Glock in my opinion remains the easiest gun to work on, but there are still some things for the average owner to learn.

Advanced armorer taught over 2 full days was a whole different kettle of fish. It took trouble shooting to a whole new level, and I did learn a boatload of stuff I would have never quite understood so well about diagnosing and understanding problems. It was worth the investment. I think they only teach it at HQ mostly.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Every time this subject comes up, I mention the same thing. The Armorer's course was nice for bits of trivia here and there, and we got a demo of a Glock 18 from someone who actually knew how to run one (which was awesome), but otherwise... meh. You'll learn way more from the aforementioned link.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Benefits to taking Glock Armorers Courses ?
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?17985-Benefits-to-taking-Glock-Armorers-Courses

Glock Armorer's Class
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?27777-Glock-Armorer-s-Class
    Last edited by ST911; 04-10-2018 at 07:53 AM.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Every time this subject comes up, I mention the same thing. The Armorer's course was nice for bits of trivia here and there, and we got a demo of a Glock 18 from someone who actually knew how to run one (which was awesome), but otherwise... meh. You'll learn way more from the aforementioned link.
    I got that game because of your post. Great fun, and relaxing, with the new age music going on all the time.

Site Supporter
    I have the previous version of the book listed before Lone Wolf bought the rights from PTOOMA. I found it to be extremely helpful thru Gen 3 guns. admittedly, when I purchased the book, their were not the internet/youtube resources there are now. 20.00 plus shipping and the interwebs should get you where you want to go re maintaining a Glock pistol without having to spent 250 on an armorer's class.

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=186

YMMV Greatly.
    david of vcdgrips.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CWM11B View Post
    The only complaint I have about the class (and I write it on every end of course eval) is that it could be done in about 4 hours if they would ditch the infomercial that is the first half of the day. I have pointed out that if folks are in your armorer class, you probably don't need to sell them on the platform.
    I just redid my cert in February. The first half of the day is now dedicated to the Gen 5 and the Slim Line pistols. They listened

I took the class in the Gen3 days. Revelational? No. But I think it's always good to have that exposure on what matters from THEIR perspective. The longtime instructors see a lot of people and agencies.

I appreciated the booklet and department-level armorer function check details. We had some forensic people in the class and it made for some interesting Q&A.

I also went to try to exchange their original craptastic sight pusher tool for the improved model, so that ought to date me.

I found it worth going through-particularly with multiple generations of Glocks piled up. Once can be fine. I simply enjoy the day of tinkering and meeting different Glock folks. You will have a voice of a Glock Rep. to answer questions. If the family will not be neglected I would say go for it.

User Tag List