Thread: Bill Drill @ 7 Yards

Bill Drill @ 7 Yards

I've been putting in a lot of work on the Bill Drill. This is my fastest time so far 2.26. It's not fast for some but it was pretty fast for me. I'm not sure if the C was from this string or the previous one(s).
    Any tips or pointers?

Last edited by SC_Dave; 04-09-2018 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SC_Dave View Post
    I've been putting in a lot of work on the Bill Drill. This is my fastest time so far 2.26. It's not fast for some but it was pretty fast for me. I'm not sure if the C was from this string or the previous one(s).
    Any tips or pointers?

Sounded pretty good - looks good too. What were the splits and first shot?

Does seem like you could react a little faster. Work on a quick twitch right at the "ba"... vs. eeP (if that makes sense).
    A71593

2.26 is pretty good concealed. Your splits sounded fast. From the looks of it the draw is where you can shave some time. Like NHWPFAN said, need to post your shot times.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the critique. I invite it in fact.

Here are the times.

The only other faster first shot I have had was a 1.27 from concealment. This is where I struggle as you see. I'm an old fat guy so maybe thats as fast as I get.

SCD
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 04-10-2018 at 06:32 AM.

Thanks guys I really appreciate the critique. I invite it in fact.

Here are the times.

The only other faster first shot I have had was a 1.27 from concealment. This is where I struggle as you see. I'm an old fat guy so maybe thats as fast as I get.

SCD
    You have a couple hundreths in your reations time. Work on some micro drills of just reacting to the beep. I think the "beeeep" itself is .03 seconds long. Get in on the first part of the timer noise; perhaps you can see less and still get that first shot and break it as you come to extension. I think you could easiy shave a tenth.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    You have a couple hundreths in your reations time. Work on some micro drills of just reacting to the beep. I think the "beeeep" itself is .03 seconds long. Get in on the first part of the timer noise; perhaps you can see less and still get that first shot and break it as you come to extension. I think you could easiy shave a tenth.
    Thanks! I'll work on the micro drill as you suggest. I have watched @Mr_White videos (some in slow motion, over and over again) trying to pick up on ways to shave time. Do you think the first shot should be from index (for lack of a better term) and then pick up the dot? Or, should I have the dot before I break the first shot?
    Thanks, SCD
    Last edited by SC_Dave; 04-10-2018 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks! I'll work on the micro drill as you suggest. I have watched @Mr_White videos (some in slow motion, over and over again) trying to pick up on ways to shave time. Do you think the first shot should be from index (for lack of a better term) and then pick up the dot? Or, should I have the dot before I break the first shot?
    Thanks, SCD
    I'm not nwhpfan, and you should definitely listen to what he has to say, but my take is that that question can't truly be answered. You have to know what kind of shot difficulty/consequence you can reliably make from index. You have to know what kind of shot difficulty/consequence you need to find the dot to reliably make. In general, I'd work diligently toward finding and using the dot if you are firing the gun from extension. The only time I wouldn't look for the best aiming reference (dots/sights/laser) is when retention shooting. It may be that you still have some amount of possible time-based need to work with index in some or another instance, and I think it's worth knowing about that as part of a complete shooting skillset, but enormous profit is available for dedicated practitioners in working to be more and more efficient with the finest aiming reference on your gun.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_White View Post
    I'm not nwhpfan, and you should definitely listen to what he has to say, but my take is that that question can't truly be answered. You have to know what kind of shot difficulty/consequence you can reliably make from index. You have to know what kind of shot difficulty/consequence you need to find the dot to reliably make. In general, I'd work diligently toward finding and using the dot if you are firing the gun from extension. The only time I wouldn't look for the best aiming reference (dots/sights/laser) is when retention shooting. It may be that you still have some amount of possible time-based need to work with index in some or another instance, and I think it's worth knowing about that as part of a complete shooting skillset, but enormous profit is available for dedicated practitioners in working to be more and more efficient with the finest aiming reference on your gun.
    Thank you for responding as well Gabe. I really appreciate ALL of the input I can get.
    David

Thanks, SCD
    1.26 from concealment is very fast. The biggest challenge in concealment is getting to the gun. I tend to believe that from gripping the gun in the holster to the first shot *can be the same. I do most of my training from USPSA gear so Origami and others are better suited to breakdown how you cleared your cover garment (to me it looks great but not my lane so to speak). I do think you may find time savings in reaction to the "be" and when you take the first shot. If you can shave 2 hundreths here....

"See what you need to see" means just that. How much do you need to see of your sights.... How much in reference to the target do you need to see to make an A zone hit at 7 yards? Can you see a blury dot and the target in the background and sides? That may be another couple hundreths...

I don't just blindly index but I see the "minimum" to make the shot. Alot of the reference is blury dot, side of gun, over the top of the gun, etc.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 04-10-2018 at 03:48 PM.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    1.26 from concealment is very fast. The biggest challenge in concealment is getting to the gun. I tend to believe that from gripping the gun in the holster to the first shot *can be the same. I do most of my training from USPSA gear so Origami and others are better suited to breakdown how you cleared your cover garment (to me it looks great but not my lane so to speak). I do think you may find time savings in reaction to the "be" and when you take the first shot. If you can shave 2 hundreths here....

"See what you need to see" means just that. How much do you need to see of your sights.... How much in reference to the target do you need to see to make an A zone hit at 7 yards? Can you see a blury dot and the target in the background and sides? That may be another couple hundreths...

I don't just blindly index but I see the "minimum" to make the shot. Alot of the reference is blury dot, side of gun, over the top of the gun, etc.
    A+ Thanks very much NW. I appreciate the input. When I slow the vid to 1/2 speed it really looks like I take forever to react. I'll work on that.

User Tag List