Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Cohen and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    But didn't the land deals actually happen?
    Who knows?

However:

Neither Bill Clinton nor Hillary were ever prosecuted, after three separate inquiries found insufficient evidence linking them with the criminal conduct of others related to the land deal. The matter was handled by the Whitewater Independent Counsel, Kenneth Starr. The last of these inquiries came from the final Independent Counsel, Robert Ray, (who replaced Starr) in 2000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewater_controversy

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    If it wasn’t Berman who requested the warrant then it was probably his deputy, Robert Khuzami. He is another bright guy who happens to be a Republican (at least he spoke at the 2004 GOP Convention).

My point being that Mueller did not authorize this raid. It came from the US Attorney’s Office after being vetted by multiple layers of DOJ lawyers and at least 1 Federal Magistrate who probably called a shit load of District Judges for guidance (sarcasm). Yes, Rosenstein signed off, but the leg work was done by the US Attorney’s for the Southern District of NY.

I’m still struck by the irony that after all the talk of Russia, Russia, Russia, the single greatest threat to the Trump Presidency is the fumbled handling of payments from a BILLIONAIRE to a glorified hooker and Playboy Bunny. You really can’t make this shit up.
    One of my best friends works in the organized crime division for DOJ (he used to be one of our AUSA's). He said he imagined that Mueller was probably more involved than what you're describing, but it certainly went through all levels of the DOJ up to Rosenstein. He also said that any search warrants done on attorneys' offices has to go through OEO, like a T-III, which I didn't know. He did reiterate what a big deal this was, though I'm sure everyone knows that already.

He did say that DC is a total circus right now, and he's planning on getting out to go back to the USAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Earlymonk View Post
    Reminds me of an investigation into an Arkansas land deal culminating with lies about bagpiping behind the Resolute Desk...go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I guess I’m not terribly surprised. I seem to recall some special prosecutors investigating a land deal and ending up getting a president impeached (but not convicted) over lying about a blowjob.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk
    The Whitewater Scandle didn’t culminate in Clinton’s impeachment. It culminated in multiple Clinton business partners and close associates being convicted of felonies. In other words, the country was put through the ringer because it elected a President who liked to associate with worthless pieces of shit like the McDougals and couldn’t keep his dick out of the sewer. People who think that Whitewater, Lewinsky, et al was just about a blowjob either need a refresher on history or don’t care about their President consorting with felons prior to assuming office.

Hence the irony as I see history is repeating itself; we basically elected a less refined version of Bill Clinton. It probably explains why the two of them got along so well until politics got in the way.
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-10-2018 at 07:02 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I’m still struck by the irony that after all the talk of Russia, Russia, Russia, the single greatest threat to the Trump Presidency is the fumbled handling of payments from a BILLIONAIRE to a glorified hooker and Playboy Bunny. You really can’t make this shit up.
    Why? There's presidential precedent, i.e., investigating other shit and indicting BJC for a BJ...
    Last edited by Drang; 04-10-2018 at 07:08 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Why? There's presidential precedent, i.e., investigating other shit and indicting BJC for a BJ...
    You guys seem to be conflating the meaning of “irony” and “surprise.” I used the term irony as a subtle reference to the Clinton era scandals. I never said the I was surprised...

Capisce paesano?
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-10-2018 at 07:28 PM.

Well, I know I'm the first person to ever miss subtlety on the Internet...
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

the country...put through the ringer because it elected a President who liked to associate with worthless pieces of shit...and couldn’t keep his dick out of the sewer.
    Hence the irony as I see history is repeating itself
    You guys seem to be conflating the meaning of “irony” and “surprise.”
    Aha! Thanks for the clarity (seriously). I understand what you're saying about the sad fact that the top quote describes both Clinton and Trump. I thought you were originally saying that it was odd that an investigation about Issue A wound up ultimately being about Issue B.

Neither are literally ironic, however. Perhaps epically pathetic, strangely similar, boringly predictable, etc.
    Last edited by Earlymonk; 04-10-2018 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Earlymonk View Post
    Aha! Thanks for the clarity (seriously). I understand what you're saying about the sad fact that the top quote describes both Clinton and Trump. I thought you were originally saying that it was odd that an investigation about Issue A wound up ultimately being about Issue B.

Neither are literally ironic, however. Perhaps epically pathetic, strangely similar, boringly predictable, etc.
    Ironic in the sense that both Clinton and Trump were supposed to go down for significant crimes of fraud, conspiracy, and the like, but instead had their presidencies sidelined by sex scandles. Strikingly ironic because the country was supposed to have learned its lesson, but keeps electing the lowest common denominator. There will be a price for that.

The price of Clinton’s inattention/incompetence was arguably 9/11. I wonder what the price of Trump’s will be...

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    The price of Clinton’s inattention/incompetence was arguably 9/11. I wonder what the price of Trump’s will be...
    I'll take "The Rise of Fascism in Post-Communist Eastern Europe" for $200, Alex.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Ironic in the sense that both Clinton and Trump were supposed to go down for significant crimes of fraud, conspiracy, and the like, but instead had their presidencies sidelined by sex scandles. Strikingly ironic because the country was supposed to have learned its lesson, but keeps electing the lowest common denominator.
    Speaking of irony, how about the fact that Trump was elected because he was better than (the other) Clinton?
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List