Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gun... How do I game it?

New Gun... How do I game it?

So I could not pass up picking up a new gun. I want to shoot it as a fun / can't get over my competitive challenge mind new venture.

Background.

I shoot Single Stack in USPSA and CDP in IDPA, and am not too bad at it. I started as a supplemental range time / training / trigger time activity. I did progress pretty good. I am currently classified B class in USPSA, but often beat A class shooters in match settings. I am classified Expert in IDPA. I could easily classify Master in IDPA, but I want to achieve this by Match bump, and have yet to win a competition that has enough people to do this. My goal this year is to classify A class in Single Stack and match bump to Master in IDPA. Once I do that I was going to switch to Production and SSP, but I found a new challenge...

I picked up a Smith and Wesson 625 for a song and I like the challenge. The reason I choose to compete in Single Stack and CDP is even round counts in a comp setting. I thought shooting a wheel gun might be a good way to take that up a notch.

Here is my discussion point.

I know nothing about revolvers. I intend to shoot this in IDPA when I achieve my master goal with CDP. What do I need to know to be competitive? What nuances are important? What do I need to know gear wise to make me competitive?

Thanks for your thoughts.

First, learn to count to 6. Then realize how often you can do your reload while moving. Your goal is to be high overall at IDPA matches. Not to just beat other revolver shooters.
    Last edited by BN; 04-09-2018 at 05:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Your goal is to be high overall at IDPA matches. Not to just beat other revolver shooters.
    That sounds like a very difficult goal. Revolver reloads are pretty tough to do at the same speed as (or faster than) autoloader reloads...

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    That sounds like a very difficult goal. Revolver reloads are pretty tough to do at the same speed as (or faster than) autoloader reloads...
    Difficult, but obtainable. Many, not all, stages have 6 shots here, then 6 shots over there. With an autoloader, you will often do a standing reload. With a revolver, you plan your stage to do as many moving reloads as possible. Go for overall stage wins first, then go for the very satisfying High Overall.

It's a revolver, you don't game a revolver
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

I would get the revolver in the shop while chasing CDP Master. A go to hell trigger job (Apologies to Col. Askins.) with other action tuneup as indicated.
    After that, it is mostly practice, practice. Shooting Rev and Rev E are kind of like the shotgun phase of 3 gun, it is a reloading contest. Get good at it. And treat every stage as Virginia or Limited, you cannot spare the makeup shots you can with an auto.

You can game the ammo a little bit. USPSA Rev Major is the same as SS, just be sure to load roundnose bullets.
    IDPA Rev E power factor is only 155, so you can shade your load a bit. But be sure to keep them straight.
    I wouldn't bother if shooting both equally, but since I shoot largely IDPA, I do.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    With an autoloader, you will often do a standing reload. With a revolver, you plan your stage to do as many moving reloads as possible.
    That seems like something that's probably only true in IDPA, and likely only because of the rule that penalizes you for dropping partial mags on the ground. Actually, that brings up a question about the rules in IDPA: when shooting an autoloader, are you required to have exactly 10 rounds in each mag (or full capacity if that's less like a 1911), or can you load less in order to "game" where your reloads will happen?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    That seems like something that's probably only true in IDPA, and likely only because of the rule that penalizes you for dropping partial mags on the ground. Actually, that brings up a question about the rules in IDPA: when shooting an autoloader, are you required to have exactly 10 rounds in each mag (or full capacity if that's less like a 1911), or can you load less in order to "game" where your reloads will happen?
    Max capacity for the division, unless otherwise stated for the stage.

Doesn't mean I haven't 'missed' the target and had to reload on the move before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Watson;728025)
    And treat every stage as Virginia or Limited, you cannot spare the makeup shots you can with an auto.

You can game the ammo a little bit. USPSA Rev Major is the same as SS, just be sure to load roundnose bullets.
    IDPA Rev E power factor is only 155, so you can shade your load a bit. But be sure to keep them straight.
    I wouldn't bother if shooting both equally, but since I shoot largely IDPA, I do.
    Major revo is dead in USPSA due to primarily 8 round arrays. 8 round minor is not exactly booming either.

I love wheelguns, but not in USPSA.
    Last edited by Norville; 04-09-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Max capacity for the division, unless otherwise stated for the stage.

Doesn't mean I haven't 'missed' the target and had to reload on the move before.
    That right there is why penalizing competitors for dropping partial mags on the ground is dumb; it creates an incentive to pull the trigger when you otherwise wouldn't/shouldn't, which seems like it ought to go against the stated ethos of IDPA.

User Tag List