Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive multipurpose bolt action rifle build; input requested

Site Supporter
    I would get a .22 or a .223 for what you are talking about. .22 is so much less money, even buying bricks of $80 standard velocity match ammo, and you learn a ton about doping wind with it, even just pushing it to 100 yards. .223 is less than any other centerfire to shoot, and you can reach out to 1000 yards with the right rig and ammo. Plus it gives you a coyote killing rifle with next to no recoil that just about anybody can shoot and feel accomplished with in a short period of time.

I don't have a lot of money in my current bolt rifles: a Savage MKII heavy target barrel .22 and a Savage 11 .243. Both need better stocks. I'm auditioning a new scope on the .243 right now to play longer range and coyote hunting with, but I bet I'm back to my lighter, more compact Burris 3-9 by the time deer season comes back around. I'll either keep the PA 4-14 FFP mil dot as a second scope for swapping over when I want to do those things, put it on a new dedicated long range rig, or pop it on the .22 and get something higher end later.

I like Savage, but if I were doing this again, or getting the .270 or 6.5CM I'm thinking about, I'd be leaning toward a Weatherby Vanguard or Howa 1500. Don't need a new trigger, can live with the stock (especially on the Weatherby).
    Last edited by Duelist; 04-08-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whomever View Post
    1)When I hear '...learn marksmanship' I have kind of a knee jerk response of 'buy a 22', like maybe a Ruger American Rimfire. Even if you reload and your time is free, any centerfire is going to cost 50 cents a round or so[1]. By the time you shoot a couple of bricks of 22 you've paid for the rimfire trainer.
    Good point. I bought a Savage MK II TR for this purpose. These days I would look at a Ruger Precision Rimfire or a CZ Tacticool.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 04-08-2018 at 07:32 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    A rimfire trainer is not a bad idea at all, particularly given that it will probably end up costing about as much as the glass I'd like for a .308...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    Good point. I bought a Savage MK II TR for this purpose. These days I would look at a Ruger Precision Rimfire or a CZ Tacticool.
    The TR is basically my MKII bull barrel in a much better stock.

Site Supporter
    Tikka T3 lite, in .308 with a Vortex viper 1-6.

I'd hold back on the Magpul stock or timney trigger in favor of the .22 caliber trainer.

Get slings for both. Get to an Appleseed class.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    The TR is basically my MKII bull barrel in a much better stock.
    Yup. Does the bull barrel have the oversized bolt knob?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    The new ones should be fine. There were some teething issues when Remington took over in 2007 but they should be good now. Everyone talks about the JM stamped guns that were pre Remington but my 2006 model is no heirloom piece for sure. The Marlin owners message board would have more info. Or there's the Winchester 94. I don't have any experience with those.
    I lean to the Winchester 94 for several reasons. There are tons of clean angle eject 94s on gunbroker that can be had in the $400 range. My preference would be an early angle eject, a pre-crossbolt safety and non tang safety gun, both of which may not matter to the next guy. Many Ive handled have been some of the smoothest 94s Ive seen. A set of Leupold bases and low rings, decent low power variable or 3 or 4 power, and go.

Ive had and seen many Marlins, but dont seem to run into many i want to own or keep. i dont seem to run into many Winchesters I want to sell, and I seem to want them all.

Off topic but I saw a Winchester 94 in .44 mag at Specialty Sports in Colorado Springs last week. That was tempting.

I have no personal experience with the pistol caliber Winchester 94s, but have seen many mixed reports on their reliability, though that may be primarily 357s. They are quite reliable in the 30-30 class of cartridges. I got a grin from a late 50s/eary 60s NRA loading manuals comments about the 94s, they commented "...virtually indestructible in service..." which seems to be a fair representation of the majority of them if not dry fired.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-08-2018 at 09:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    If the CTR will do basically everything I want out of the box, maybe it makes most sense to start there - a muzzle brake will probably also go a long way with .308. That said, you do make a persuasive argument for the .223...
    A few more comments and I'll shut up.

For .223s there are of course the Ruger options and the ~$550 T3x Lite .223 (22") and Compact (shorter LOP and 20" bbl). The Ruger should have a good twist rate and I believe the T3x version has finally standardized their 223s at 1:8. Watch out for older T3 .223s as they had both 1:8, 1:12 and I believe one intermediate twist as well.

Making yourself start with a good .22 or .223 will put added pressure on achieving technique and equipment setup/use in all positions so you make the most of your future rifle. Bench shooting is for the dogs - none of this makes much sense unless you have a range you can practice positions off the bench. Heck, you may say the positional shooting is for the dogs and go a different direction!

Highly recommend good snap caps for dry fire especially with rimfire. I like the Carlson 22 or you can use shot cases or even the small size plastic drywall anchors about .22LR size.

On glass... I think the SWFA 10x beats the pants off the cheap 1-6 and 1-8 with better resolution, eye relief and no possibility of focus difference between min/max magnification. Parallax adjustment is a bonus too for your future whiz bang CTR KRG acronymicus maximus.

Good luck! Hope you find an enjoyable combo.

User Tag List