Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive multipurpose bolt action rifle build; input requested

Another vote for a Tikka T3X in 308 or 6.5 Creed if they make them. Slap one piece base on, and a Nightforce SHV in a set of Seekins rings and call it a day.

There are prefit barrels and nice chassis systems to upgrade to down the road, all nice but none necessary for what you’re trying to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    My recommendations would be either a Tikka in .308 or 6.5 creedmoor or a Ruger American Predator in the same calibers. Preferable one of the newer Rugers which take Magpul AI Pattern magazines.

The merits of the Tikka are well documented on PF.

The Ruger American is a great value. It's two weak points are the stock and the magazine. Ruger has addressed the magazine issue and there is an increasing aftermarket for the Ruger Americans including a Magpul stock which should be coming out this month.

The 308 and 6.5 are much more versatile "do it all" cartridges than 7.62 x39 or .223 even though they are cheaper to shoot.

I have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. It's a neat gun but it's a niche item (short range carbine) in the same way a lever action 30-30 is a niche item. Such carbines are great hunting guns in woods or thick brush but are not really suited to hunting in open areas with longer shots like Colorado.

Both the Tikka CTR and the Ruger American Predator are light enough to serve as GP bolt guns and to be shot off hand.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-08-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    How well made are new marlins?
    The new ones should be fine. There were some teething issues when Remington took over in 2007 but they should be good now. Everyone talks about the JM stamped guns that were pre Remington but my 2006 model is no heirloom piece for sure. The Marlin owners message board would have more info. Or there's the Winchester 94. I don't have any experience with those.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 04-08-2018 at 04:47 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    My recommendations would be either a Tikka in .308 or 6.5 creedmoor or a Ruger American Predator in the same calibers. Preferable one of the newer Rugers which take Magpul AI Pattern magazines.

The merits of the Tikka are well documented on PF.

The Ruger American is a great value. It's two weak points are the stock and the magazine. Ruger has addressed the magazine issue and there is an increasing aftermarket for the Ruger Americans including a Magpul stock which should be coming out this month.

The 308 and 6.5 are much more versatile "do it all" cartridges than 7.62 x39 or .223 even though they are cheaper to shoot.

I have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39. It's a neat gun but it's a niche item (short range carbine) in the same way a lever action 30-30 is a niche item. Such carbines are great hunting guns in woods or thick brush but are not really suited to hunting in open areas with longer shots like Colorado.

Both the Tikka CTR and the Ruger American Predator are light enough to serve as GP bolt guns and to be shot off hand.
    Between the Tikka CTR and the American Predator in the Magpul Stock + Timney, which would you lean towards?

It's tempting to go with the CTR, rings and glass, the $1400 I have priced out for the Ruger american, stock, timney, rings and a SWFA SS 3-9 FFP is certainly within budget... the CTR seems like it is the better build product, however.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 04-08-2018 at 05:08 PM.

1)When I hear '...learn marksmanship' I have kind of a knee jerk response of 'buy a 22', like maybe a Ruger American Rimfire. Even if you reload and your time is free, any centerfire is going to cost 50 cents a round or so[1]. By the time you shoot a couple of bricks of 22 you've paid for the rimfire trainer.

2)I have one of the new AR mag Ruger Americans. Mine happens to be in 300BLK. The new stock is actually OK (they changed the reinforcing in the fore end). Unlike my original RAR in 223, I'm not going to change the stock. The trigger is fine, IMHO. Both of mine shoot just over an inch (10 shot groups off bags) with minimal load development. Pairing one with any reasonable scope (SWFA works) is a lot of rifle for the money. The 3 lug bolt makes for a fast, smooth action.

IMHO, they are like Honda Civics. You can pay a lot more for not much functional improvement.

I'm not really a fan of the original rotary magazines. Either the AR or AICS versions are a step up, IMHO. Getting better mags is actually most of the reason I'm replacing the stock on the older one.

[1]OK, you can do it cheaper if you get wheel weights for free and cast your own...

Site Supporter
    Tikka T3X in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Leupold scope with the CDS elevation knob and spend the rest of the money of ammo. Lots of ammo choices for 6.5 CM from "cheap" practice ammo to "great" practice ammo plus lots of hunting ammo choices.

Site Supporter
    Between the Tikka CTR and the American Predator in the Magpul Stock + Timney, which would you lean towards?

It's tempting to go with the CTR, rings and glass, the $1400 I have priced out for the Ruger american, stock, timney, rings and a SWFA SS 3-9 FFP is certainly within budget... the CTR seems like it is the better build product, however.
    Likely the Tikka but a CTR is 2x the cost of an American Predator. The non CTR Tikkas are a bit more comparable price wise. My understanding is the Ruger Precision Rifle is basically a Ruger American action.

My LGS has the old style Ruger American predators in 6.5 Creedmoor for $379. The new style with the AI/Magpul mag is $470. You could beat the price at a new style at a big box store like Cabelas. My LGS has a Tikka T3 CTR used for $799. A new T3X CTR is likely $900-$1,000. The Tikka is nice but that money could go also into better / illuminated glass.

The trigger on the Ruger American is adjustable and can be adjusted within factory specs to 2 1/2 or 3 lbs I believe. It's not bad. The Timeny is more a want than a need.

Speaking of Cabelas, check out Mr.Guns'ngears facebook page. He has links to a online deal for Cabelas gift cards at 20% off face value.

Only reason I was leaning away from the .223 was that I ended up going right to the T3x too, and then I have a very expensive (but fun) rifle that I still can't hunt with :P
    Even with the plastic stock the CTR will shoot just fine at 200y for your training use. It's only a few pounds more than a traditional hunter (esp if you go with the 20" bbl) and the budget leaves some money for stock pack, sling, bipod if you wish. However that KRG will be calling!

I would NOT recommend a 308 hunting weight rifle (T3x Lite) for bolt gun training. I did most of my bolt gun learning on a ~6.5lb Savage 16FSS. Punishing but I was poor(er) and F4 ball was cheap.

Hence the .22LR or .223 for affordable practice like a lot of long range guys do. You will burn the same number of rounds at a cheaper price without fighting flinch. A full power rifle will then expose further technique weaknesses. Think of the .223 as a rental, you'll get most of your money back if you decide to sell for an upgrade.

Site Supporter
    Maybe a little more money than you plan to spend, but I'm pretty happy with my Remington Micro 7 300 BLK. CDI bottom metal with 10-round magazine, a definite improvement as the original internal magazine was somewhat awkward to load. AccuPower 1-4 LPV, SilencerCo Omega suppressor. I've since installed somewhat higher scope rings.

Name:  micro7_2.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  78.0 KB
    Last edited by Robinson; 04-08-2018 at 06:45 PM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Even with the plastic stock the CTR will shoot just fine at 200y for your training use. It's only a few pounds more than a traditional hunter (esp if you go with the 20" bbl) and the budget leaves some money for stock pack, sling, bipod if you wish. However that KRG will be calling!

I would NOT recommend a 308 hunting weight rifle (T3x Lite) for bolt gun training. I did most of my bolt gun learning on a ~6.5lb Savage 16FSS. Punishing but I was poor(er) and F4 ball was cheap.

Hence the .22LR or .223 for affordable practice like a lot of long range guys do. You will burn the same number of rounds at a cheaper price without fighting flinch. A full power rifle will then expose further technique weaknesses. Think of the .223 as a rental, you'll get most of your money back if you decide to sell for an upgrade.
    If the CTR will do basically everything I want out of the box, maybe it makes most sense to start there - a muzzle brake will probably also go a long way with .308. That said, you do make a persuasive argument for the .223...

User Tag List