Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Inexpensive multipurpose bolt action rifle build; input requested

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    How about a Ruger American in 7mm-08? Better range than 7.62x39, milder recoil than .308, more punch than .233.

You won’t be buying bulk ammo but it could be better as a hunting round.
    You can get the same advantages and performance from 6.5 Creedmoor with better ammo choices better cost and better availability.

You can also mitigate .308 recoil via a good break. Hence the desirability of a threaded barrel even if a suppressor isn’t in your current plans.
    Last edited by HCM; 04-09-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It doesn't look like SWFA has the 10x42 in mil/mil. That would be a dealbreaker for me.
    The 10X Mil/Mil (mil quad)is one of their most popular optics. For good reason too. It tracks great, and is a rock solid reliable optic.

I have one on my primary elk rifle, a .300wm Tikka T3. It is an outstanding scope for the type of hunting that I do.

You would be hard pressed to get a better optic than a fixed 10X or fixed 6X SWFA for the money.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post
    The 10X Mil/Mil (mil quad)is one of their most popular optics. For good reason too. It tracks great, and is a rock solid reliable optic.

I have one on my primary elk rifle, a .300wm Tikka T3. It is an outstanding scope for the type of hunting that I do.

You would be hard pressed to get a better optic than a fixed 10X or fixed 6X SWFA for the money.
    I am thinking this + CTR + score rings = gun. I don't need mags or a chassis. I can easily wait until I've got a year or two of shooting it under my belt.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I did a post awhile back about a non-standard installation of Warne rings on the T3 and why I think it's the best solution. Should be easy to find with a search.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    It doesn't look like SWFA has the 10x42 in mil/mil. That would be a dealbreaker for me.
    Looks like a bunch of the fixed are on backorder. Often found used on arfcom, snipeshide, riverofguns.

SS10X42MQ (occular parallax adj) $299 or
    SS10X42MMQ (side parallax) $399

There are "zero stop" shims available. https://www.ebay.com/p/Zero-Stop-Shi...es/21002974928

Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    Looks like his ultimate goal is a precision rifle.
    While that seems to be the way things are trending (as, for whatever reason, they always seem to in modern bolt-action discussions), I was going strictly off of this while ignoring the seemingly arbitrary "I want a bolt-action" qualifier.

1. Platform for developing very basic marksmanship skills at intermediate distances (200yd and under)
    2. Conceivably use for hunting deer (i.e. >.24cal/6mm in CO) though I accept that if I get serious about hunting I'll end up buying a rifle with more reach.
    3. A rifle useful for social purposes, of course, is never undesirable

With those goals in mind, I want a rifle with the following qualities, also in order of priority:

1. Reliable, durable, built of components backed by good CS
    2. Relatively inexpensive (Under $1k for complete rifle, not including glass)
    3. Enjoyable to shoot
    4. Inexpensive to shoot
    with the thought that if the OP, or anyone else, already had an AR in 5.56 you could accomplish all of the above for well under the budget.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    While that seems to be the way things are trending (as, for whatever reason, they always seem to in modern bolt-action discussions), I was going strictly off of this while ignoring the seemingly arbitrary "I want a bolt-action" qualifier.

with the thought that if the OP, or anyone else, already had an AR in 5.56 you could accomplish all of the above for well under the budget.
    ARs were addressed in the OP, and yes, I am more interested in a precision rifle ultimately - it seems like the CTR is just the most sensible way for me to spend my money. Out of the box it s basically ready to go - the KRG chassis is a nice idea that I can add down the line. I'm thinking the CTR with a fixed optic and a brake will give me a reasonably lightweight rifle that will be "good enough" for basically everything I could want to do with a rifle here in Colorado. I belong to a range with 1000yd steel silhouette targets, and while I probably won't be start off with ringing those back range gongs as my goal, I'd like a gun that I could use to try out that far, so long as I will be spending the money.

The SWFA fixed 10x seems like a good place to start while I save for a nice variable power optic. Then, if I end up getting really into hunting, I can always buy a T3x Lite (either in .308, .30-06, whatever) and throw the fixed power on there and now I have a decent precision rifle and a hunting rifle to match.

@Nephrology Did you ever move forward with this? I'm considering the same two (Tikka T3x CTR and Ruger American Predator) for hunting purposes only. Some good discussion in here.

I'm leaning towards the RA Predator for the simple fact that the AICS mag model (26974) can be had for $389 (no fees and free shipping) on Gunbroker right now. I'm not hyper-critical about triggers, and the few I've felt were more than adequate for hunting. Accuracy reports are good. Biggest complaint is the stock feeling cheap, but Magpul has that covered if needed. They also have 5/10rd AICS pattern PMAG's. Add a decent low power scope (likely Vortex something via Mil discount program) in some quality rings and a nice loop sling. Done. Should be under a grand all in.

Curious if you ever pulled the trigger, or if you did additional research and care to share.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost River View Post

Good thing you are not the Idaho commissioner of fish and game!
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I have looked at several Ruger Predators. Nearly all of them had rough actions and were awkward to run fast. In fact, I find many of the "economy" bolt actions have rough actions and are awkward to run fast.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-17-2018 at 10:38 PM.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List