Thread: LPV optic mount considerations

Site Supporter

LPV optic mount considerations

Hi all,

I'm researching my first LPV optic (likely a 1-4x) for my AR-15. I'm upgrading from an Aimpoint PRO. I've started researching mounts. I know that there are a few variables that determine the ideal placement of the optic (e.g. eye relief, etc). I'm seeing all types to different optic mounts available and wondering what their applications are. For example, I see low mount heights, high mount heights (which seem to be en vogue these days), 1.4" offsets, no offsets, QD, non-QD, rings with vertical screws like the Midwest Industries, rings with horizontal screws like the ADM Recon, etc, etc. So many choices. Is there a primer or tutorial on which characteristics are best for the given optic and shooting style/preference? Optics I'm considering include: NightForce NXS 1-4x with FC-3G reticle, Trijicon Accupower 1-4x with segmented circle reticle, Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24, Leupold VX6 1-6x with Firedot BDC reticle, Meopta ZD 1-4x22 RD, Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5x24 SMRS, etc. What things should I take into consideration when choosing a mount? This is pretty new to me. Thanks for your time.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm researching my first LPV optic (likely a 1-4x) for my AR-15. I'm upgrading from an Aimpoint PRO. I've started researching mounts. I know that there are a few variables that determine the ideal placement of the optic (e.g. eye relief, etc). I'm seeing all types to different optic mounts available and wondering what their applications are. For example, I see low mount heights, high mount heights (which seem to be en vogue these days), 1.4" offsets, no offsets, QD, non-QD, rings with vertical screws like the Midwest Industries, rings with horizontal screws like the ADM Recon, etc, etc. So many choices. Is there a primer or tutorial on which characteristics are best for the given optic and shooting style/preference? Optics I'm considering include: NightForce NXS 1-4x with FC-3G reticle, Trijicon Accupower 1-4x with segmented circle reticle, Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24, Leupold VX6 1-6x with Firedot BDC reticle, Meopta ZD 1-4x22 RD, Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-6.5x24 SMRS, etc. What things should I take into consideration when choosing a mount? This is pretty new to me. Thanks for your time.

Chris
    Observations from my limited experience:
    - QD doesn't hold any value for me. A torque driver and standard mount may have better RTZ than a QD mount, and generally costs less(and the mount will weigh less).
    - I've always used a "standard" height. No real complaints there
    - The Aero Precision mount is very light, but kind of a PITA to level the scope with. As you torque the ring screws down it tends to rotate the optic by 0.5-1.5 degrees. You need to pre-cant the optic before torquing, and then you need to be OK with "close enough". I'm not sure if the vertical split rings from Larue etc. have a similar issue. I use a NF mount which was super easy to set up.
    - I had a bad experience with a Vortex/Aero combo where I lost zero and didn't realize it until the middle of a match that I traveled across the country for. Some people think it was the mount, others the optic, but I replaced both with NF products and haven't had an issue since and subject the NF stuff to greater abuse. Old adage of you get what you pay for is still true here.

I want my mount to be a brick shit-house. The best optic in the world is no good if it's not zeroed. I also tend to not F with rifle/optic that's been zeroed, so my preference is for a rugged non-QD mount with a good reputation.

Site Supporter
    It depends on the optimal eye relief of the optic and how you position your head when you shoot. QD or not depends on if you want to be able to easily remove the optic, however, all of the existing QD options come at some amount of sacrifice in clamping force (and therefore potential zero retention) compared to properly executed cross bolt mounts.

If you shoot close to "nose to charging handle," you'll want an extended mount with any of the optics you mentioned.
    If you like to keep your face tight to the stock, you'll want a 1.4-1.5" height mount.

As an example, I shoot with the stock fully extended or one click in from fully extended and with my head pretty upright, so I don't generally need an extended mount. I also prefer high mounts for optics/guns where most shooting will be on 1x because of the more upright head position.
    Last edited by joshs; 04-07-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Site Supporter
    I have had good service from the Aero precision scope mounts for my ARs. I do not need the QD features of other mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris17404 View Post
    Hi all,

Chris
    If you shoot nose to charging handle you'll want a cantilevered SPR type mount with more than a 2" forward offset. 3" is the most forward and covers any needs I've seen but isn't needed for all scopes. Because different scopes have different eye relief distances there's no one size fix. For me with a Burris MTAC 1-4 that means the eyepiece is lined up with the rearmost rail slot as this photo shows.

Name:  Daniel_Defense_M4V7LW-388470.JPG
Views: 570
Size:  17.2 KB

I'm a fan of a lower head position for a more solid cheek weld. For now I'm using a couple 1" high rings on the rear half of the scope while I experiment with stuff. The lowest cantilever mounts available are 1.3" (top of rail to center of scope). Geissele makes a high dollar 1.3" high 3" offset version for $350 and PRI makes a "budget" 1.38" high 3" offset version for $150.

Both are notable for the fact that the rear ring is about even with the front crossbolt. as the photos below show.

An average offset base like the Burris PEPR does not move the scope forward enough for proper eye relief when shooting NTCH and the shooter ends up having to move their head back at least a half inch. That drives me nuts but doesn't bother some folks so YMMV.

The lower than iron height mounts allow more solid "true" cheek weld as opposed to the jaw weld a co-witness height scope mount requires. That more stable head position enhances accuracy but not everyone likes it so you may be fine with a higher head position that the more common scope mounts offer.

The most common height mount is 1.5" (top of rail to center of scope). This is roughly an exact center co-witness with irons so that your head only has to learn one height to see the sights or scope. The Burris PEPR is 1.6" high and that 1/10 inch extra height is noticeable to me and is a negative.

Here's a gif of me using both my uber-low 1" high mount and a Burris PEPR that makes the difference in height starkly obvious. I wouldn't recommend the double 1" rings for serious use but as a range gun it's awesome.

Hope all that helps.
    Last edited by Lomshek; 04-07-2018 at 11:13 PM.

User Tag List