Thread: Robert Vogel / Vogel Dynamics World Class Pistol Skills Course

Robert Vogel / Vogel Dynamics World Class Pistol Skills Course

Last weekend I went with my old partner from the Police Department, Vince Jamison, to Robert Vogel’s World Class Pistol Skills Course in Gnaw Bone, Indiana just outside of Bloomington, IN. There were mostly LEO and civilian CCW students, although one of the other LEO had a very extensive competition background in IPSC/USPSA and 3 Gun.

The first day of the class started out with work on grip and trigger control. Vogel has some unique nuances to his grip that are worth exploring. We shot slow groups from 5 to 25 yards untimed from the high ready and then timed from the high ready.following that we worked on draws, Bill Drills at various distances from 5 to 25 yards, and reloads with the Four Aces drill. After running the Ohio police qualification course, and his “super qual” version of the same with half the par times at twice the distance, we moved on to Vogel’s Dice Drill. 5 small steel targets, roll an oversized die, and engage them in the sequence dictated by the die. Each target gets a different number of hits and there is a mandatory slide lock reload. The rest of the first day was working on movement, although he also through in a “quick draw” contest.

Second day started out with Vogel and I doing his “barrel jump” trick shot. It wasn’t mandatory, and we were the only two to do it. After that there was some SHO/WHO work and we moved on to swinger targets and a LOT of more advanced movement drills, some with difficult shots, and several with the swingers incorporated. Shooting on the move + moving target = soul crushing junk punch. We wrapped up with the dueling tree.

This is an excellent class for intermediate shooters. I got a lot of value out of it as well, mostly in several drills that I plan on incorporating moving forward, and also in the tidbits of instruction, critique, and advice Vogel would pass along to me on the side throughout both days.

Here is a video with a fair amount of the class:

Last edited by Matt Little; 04-07-2018 at 10:44 AM.

Great AAR. Thanks for posting it.

Shooting on the move + moving target = soul crushing junk punch.
    My favorite part of the report. Lol.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 04-07-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Great AAR. Thanks for posting it.

Shooting on the move + moving target = soul crushing junk punch.

My favorite part of the report. Lol.
    I only speak the truth. It’s science brah.
    Last edited by Matt Little; 04-07-2018 at 05:57 PM.

User Tag List