Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new Ruger Security Six

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushytale View Post
    I was able to find a replacement hammer w/dog and mainspring w/strut on ebay with one quick search for my Speed Six as I wanted to bob the hammer and play with the mainspring tension. S&W parts are plentiful for K and N frame guns on ebay and sources like Brownells, Gun parts corp. and many others. Have no fear.
    Some parts are plentiful. Some of the most frequently replaced parts are getting a bit scarce.

This issue isn’t limited to revolvers : https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....506-Slide-Stop

I've owned a 4" stainless Security Six for 10+ years, and other that the trigger spring giving up the ghost shortly after I acquired it (ironically, immediately AFTER a visit to Ruger who diagnostically went through the gun for me to ensure it was up to factory specs and good to go immediately after I acquired it-although it wasn't their fault, they sent me a shipping label, replaced the spring, and then thoroughly went through the 'Six a second time...); there literally hasn't been anything that either went south or needed any periodic replacement that I can come up with.

The -Six revolvers are incredibly tough and well made; while they can often significantly benefit from a skilled action job and a cylinder chamber chamfering; there really isn't that much that historically goes wrong with them. Kuhnhausen's book cites this (and is a great "just in case" manual to have on hand, as is Iowagans IBOK on the Security Six if you can find one).

I also have a beautifully 'smithed GP100, but the venerable Security Six is hardly rendered obsolete by it in my opinion. While the GP100 will doubtlessly handle a diet of significant round counts of 125 gr .357 Magnum a bit better, the -Six guns are quite durable, especially with 158 grain .357 Magnums (and even more so with the 125 gr .38 Special +P cartridges that I use in both revolvers for both carry and competitions {IDPA}).

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Some parts are plentiful. Some of the most frequently replaced parts are getting a bit scarce.

This issue isn’t limited to revolvers : https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....506-Slide-Stop
    We tend to bash the interwebz and with good reason. However, without cyberspace giving me the ability to connect with other shooters and collectors in quick fashion, I would have likely purchased a door stop.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List