Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new Ruger Security Six

Site Supporter

My new Ruger Security Six

I think the first centerfire handgun I ever fired was a Ruger security six when I was about eight. I always liked the Ruger six series. I like S&Ws more but I still have a hard time passing up a nice Ruger. I have been searching for a nice stainless security six with a 2 3/4 barrel for a long time. I don’t see them for sale often but I found a sweet one last week. I think the reason you don’t see the snubby medium frame Ruger and smiths come up for sale is that even people that are not into guns recognize the sweet spot when they pick them up and decide to keep the snubby when they sell off grandpops guns. My new old carry revolver

Name:  1D79DF45-16DE-46A3-A8CB-3FE94D23C8C9.jpg
Views: 2693
Size:  46.7 KB
    Last edited by Tom_Jones; 04-07-2018 at 03:57 PM. Reason: cleaned up formatting

Site Supporter
    I don’t know what I did wrong; but I wish I had three of them

My first centerfire handgun was a stainless 6" Security Six, my first duty gun was a 4". I wish I'd bought it when we traded them in. I did manage to later buy one we had kept for sims use.
    At a gun show today I saw a NIB 2 3/4 Security Six; the guy had it tagged at $750. You are correct; it's very unusual to see the short barreled Rugers for sale.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I don’t know what I did wrong; but I wish I had three of them
    TPTB fixed it for you.

Sent from my NSA-approved tracking device using Tapatalk
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Nice. I have a 4" and a 2.75" both in stainless. I like the six series. Not as nice looking as the Smith's but they're easier to find and don't cost as much.

It is very rare to see a Security Six, Speed Six or Service Six come up for sale in my area.
    I am a devout S&W fan and not that interested in Rugers overall, but I do like the Speed Six series. An old friend passed recently and I ended up with his 2 3/4 inch stainless steel Speed Six.
    Last edited by Bushytale; 04-08-2018 at 03:53 AM. Reason: add st st
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Site Supporter
    The biggest problem with the old rugers and smiths for carry and training are the lack of parts and lack of factory support. By old old I mean made in the last 50 years. If I was starting over with revolvers I would get a Ruger GP100 and SP101 and an LCR for pocket carry
    Last edited by Poconnor; 04-08-2018 at 11:00 AM.

Site Supporter
    The biggest problem with the old rugers and smiths for carry and training are the lack of parts and lack of factory support. By old old I mean made in the last 50 years. If I was starting over with revolvers I would get a Ruger GP100 and SP101 and an LCR for pocket carry
    Yes, unlike S&W, Ruger sold off all they Six series parts and no longer supports the platform. You either scrounge the parts and find a gunsmith or Ruger will give you credit towards a GP 100.

Site Supporter
    There was a stainless 4" Six series on Gunbroker when I bought my 64-5 last December. Like the 64, the Ruger was a .38 Special only gun. I like my 64, but I still think about that Ruger. I wish Ruger still made something the same size and capacity as the six series.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I was able to find a replacement hammer w/dog and mainspring w/strut on ebay with one quick search for my Speed Six as I wanted to bob the hammer and play with the mainspring tension. S&W parts are plentiful for K and N frame guns on ebay and sources like Brownells, Gun parts corp. and many others. Have no fear.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

User Tag List