Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Getting my Crockett on.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Very nice example. How long ago did you send it in for work and what was done?
    It was sent back within 30 days of purchase (1989 IIRC) to fix weak ejection, a gritty trigger and dismal accuracy. It came back well-repaired on those three counts, to say the least.

Then about five years ago I sent the slide to Novak's for installation of their tritium sites, which were a factory option a few years after I purchased this one. This was just before I took a Rob Pincus course, where I was the only one sporting a 3rd generation Smith. As expected, Rob gave me a bit of grief over my selection of firearms but the 5906 performed admirably.

I'm thinking about a Sparks 55-BN for it, even though I have no plans to carry it. How much sense does that make?

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    I'm thinking about a Sparks 55-BN for it, even though I have no plans to carry it. How much sense does that make?
    About as much sense as the holster I just ordered for mine. (no, it's not a shoulder holster)
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

AIM Surplus just got some 915's in. Tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    It was sent back within 30 days of purchase (1989 IIRC) to fix weak ejection, a gritty trigger and dismal accuracy. It came back well-repaired on those three counts, to say the least.

Then about five years ago I sent the slide to Novak's for installation of their tritium sites, which were a factory option a few years after I purchased this one. This was just before I took a Rob Pincus course, where I was the only one sporting a 3rd generation Smith. As expected, Rob gave me a bit of grief over my selection of firearms but the 5906 performed admirably.

Be advised that most Beretta 92 holsters will fit S&W semiautos. My 645 as I type this is holstered in a Miami Classic II originally purchased for my M9.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Be advised that most Beretta 92 holsters will fit S&W semiautos. My 645 as I type this is holstered in a Miami Classic II originally purchased for my M9.
    I wish you hadn't said that.

Copper Custom offers kydex for the CHiPs 4006's with options for WML's. I should get one for the heck of it.

Sweet, great write up and welcome to Miami. I own a 1076 for similar reasons. Enjoy!

The first pistol I purchased on my brand new pistol permit was a 3913NL, which I carried in a Bianchi #3 Pistol Pocket. Eventually I ended up with a 5906 for IDPA and a 5903 for carry. I hated fat, sticky aftermarket grips but struggled to get enough palm to grip contact as well. One day I was at my local indoor range and some guy a couple of lanes down put one into the overhead and severed the cable that reels the target holder in and out, bringing everything to a halt. I had been trying to drill controlled pairs, and I was “trying harder”, by which I mean doing exactly the same thing that didn’t work the first time while making a face. So during the cease fire, because I’m that guy, I pulled Brian Enos’s book out of my range bag. I was at the point where he talks about pointing your thumbs hard at the target to clamp down your grip. It turned out to be exactly what I needed to shoot 3rd gen S&Ws more effectively.

Quote Originally Posted by TDA View Post
    The first pistol I purchased on my brand new pistol permit was a 3913NL, which I carried in a Bianchi #3 Pistol Pocket. Eventually I ended up with a 5906 for IDPA and a 5903 for carry. I hated fat, sticky aftermarket grips but struggled to get enough palm to grip contact as well. One day I was at my local indoor range and some guy a couple of lanes down put one into the overhead and severed the cable that reels the target holder in and out, bringing everything to a halt. I had been trying to drill controlled pairs, and I was “trying harder”, by which I mean doing exactly the same thing that didn’t work the first time while making a face. So during the cease fire, because I’m that guy, I pulled Brian Enos’s book out of my range bag. I was at the point where he talks about pointing your thumbs hard at the target to clamp down your grip. It turned out to be exactly what I needed to shoot 3rd gen S&Ws more effectively.
    That's my normal shooting technique and it works quite well with nearly everything. This beast is just too narrow with the factory grips. At twenty five yards it was, ten ring, ten ring, ten ring, ten ring, torgue!, eight ring. Mother fu@@er! Worse close in during speed drills. The Hoques solve that problem all together so I guess I'll just live with them.

One thing I have realized is, this old warhorse is pretty tired. It's a bit loosey goosey in the tolerances, even though accuracy is excellent and reliability is good unless the slide stop takes a walk. It's an early, first or second year, production sample and I'm sure a former duty weapon at one time. It's been shot quite a bit and I think I'll regulate it to occasional shooter and collectable status. There's a local gun show this weekend and we just received our tax return. I'm going to see if I can find a newer sample in a bit better shape that I can play with, as I really do like the gun. I fills my rice bowl.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 04-28-2018 at 05:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I wish you hadn't said that.
    I have a tale to share about that exact holster.

When I went back to school years ago it was on the GI Bill,so off campus I routinely carried. One of my classmates asked for a ride home from the bar and being a gentleman I agreed.

Under my hoodie was the Miami Classic II -a brand new design for them that year ,carrying two mags and a certain knockoff Beretta made in Brazil. We got to her place,I walked her to the door and that’s when The Hug happened.

Being that she was a proud and loud liberal , I had visions of police cars and a swat standoff . Or an awkward discussion with a campus Security the following morning. She had something else in mind.

After inviting me in , the lady decreed I take everything off- except the holster. In hindsight, I should have left Galco feedback on Yelp about their new holster.....
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List