Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting my Crockett on.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    They still do, but add some checkering and you're looking at +$100, more than I'd like to spend.
    And they are thick.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Here’s one for a younger generation, and some 4506 goodness.

This is what made me want a 4506

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    You can stipple the plastic S&W grips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    The grip panels will warp if you stipple them off of the gun. So go slow and be careful if you go that route.

civiliandefender.com
    This. Ask me how I know.

My first 3rd gen acquisition, a 3014. It has since moved on.

Then I scored a 4006 TSW that used to belong to the local sheriff's department and a month later I got my grail 4506-1 from DB

And then I was able to get a hold of a CHP edition 4006 TSW. I like this a lot more than my other 4006.

Had a really hard time resisting the 5946 at the LGS, the trigger on that is so nice. Maybe I should ask about trading my 4006 for it. Sportsmans outdoor superstore has some 5906's too. I'm seeing some 3rd gens pop up more lately. I'm wondering if the last LEO agencies are finally replacing them. I'll get more in the future but I'm trying to dial back the collecting in favor of being more practical and moving to Berettas since I carry an M9 at work.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I know they're not pretty...but I really like the Hogue's that came as OEM on my 686+ and 642-1. They simply work...and to me that's a beautiful thing.

Let us know how they work out for you.
    Well, the offensive Hogues are obviously the answer to my needs. They're much more hand filling, a better fit overall for me and nicely anchor the gun in my hand. so I guess it's function over form for now. This gun is going to be my summer project and will see a fair bit of shooting over the next few months. Once it transitions into the status of collectable/occasional fun gun, I may spring for a set of checkered wood Hoques, but for now the rubbers will do just fine.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 04-23-2018 at 07:15 PM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    I love the 3rd gens. I know... I know... it always comes up... but......

There's no profit in making these guns again?

They're more expensive to make. They'd have to sell them at a prohibitively high price. They're all re-tooled for M&Ps, etc., etc.

But people pay a grand for Wilson Berettas. People pay even more than that for Sigs. I think there would be a market--albeit somewhat niche--if they released updated versions of the guns, with premium features. A 6906 patterned pistol with a tuned trigger, melonite finish, G10 grips, low profile levers and a match barrel might be my perfect gun.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 04-24-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    I guess it's function over form for now.
    WTF is wrong with you?! Next you'll be saying that you can't execute a 3 second FAST with a Miami Classic, a linen jacket hangs up your draw, and that a Testarossa isn't tactical enough.

Getting your Crockett on is all about form...and looking for that Detonics 9mm to go with the 4506.
    Last edited by Hambo; 04-24-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    I love the 3rd gens. I know... I know... it always comes up... but......

There's no profit in making these guns again?

They're more expensive to make. They'd have to sell them at a prohibitively high price. They're all re-tooled for M&Ps, etc., etc.

But people pay a grand for Wilson Berettas. People pay even more than that for Sigs. I think there would be a market--albeit somewhat niche--if they released updated versions of the guns, with premium features. A 6906 patterned pistol with a tuned trigger, melonite finish, G10 grips, low profile levers and a match barrel might be my perfect gun.
    Consider though that, the higher priced Berettas and Sigs that you mention are upgrades to an already existing more basic priced line of pistols, sharing many of the same parts, even if said parts have additional machining. If it were just the Wilson Berettas and high end Sigs, I don't think the limited market would support an ongoing production from a major manufacturer.

To completely retool for the S&W lineup, of a much less popular / less sought after lineup of handguns, would doubtfully be a feasible venture.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Consider though that, the higher priced Berettas and Sigs that you mention are upgrades to an already existing more basic priced line of pistols, sharing many of the same parts, even if said parts have additional machining. If it were just the Wilson Berettas and high end Sigs, I don't think the limited market would support an ongoing production from a major manufacturer.

To completely retool for the S&W lineup, of a much less popular / less sought after lineup of handguns, would doubtfully be a feasible venture.
    I agree. I don't think it would make sense for S&W to retool their entire lineup for something that would be a boutique product. But, their 1911s are boutique products. And the consumer pays for it: $1200 for a scandium e-series. If Smith believed they could sell tricked-out, scandium 6906s for $1200 a pop... I wonder if they'd consider making room on the line...

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. Back to the crux of the matter: your 4506 is really cool and makes me wish I could buy one new.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 04-24-2018 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    WTF is wrong with you?! Next you'll be saying that you can't execute a 3 second FAST with a Miami Classic, a linen jacket hangs up your draw, and that a Testarossa isn't tactical enough.

Getting your Crockett on is all about form...and looking for that Detonics 9mm to go with the 4506.
    You're giving me interesting ideas for a new IDPA stage.

I agree. I don't think it would make sense for S&W to retool their entire lineup for something that would be a boutique product. But, their 1911s are boutique products. And the consumer pays for it: $1200 for a scandium e-series. If Smith believed they could sell tricked-out, scandium 6906s for $1200 a pop... I wonder if they'd consider making room on the line...

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. Back to the crux of the matter: your 4506 is really cool and makes me wish I could buy one new.
    Given the quality I see coming out of S&W these days, I'd be happy to just have a reliable supply of spare parts and service. Reintroducing the 3rd Gen. line up? Considering the 4506 went for just over $700 back in the 80's, that would roughly translate to twice that in 2018 dollars. Quality wise, they'd probably FUBAR it.

But people pay a grand for Wilson Berettas. People pay even more than that for Sigs.
    No high speed, low-drag units use a 3rd Gen S&W. No internet-famous trainer extolls their virtues on YouTube. Quality-wise, I'd stack them up there with Sig and Beretta, but that isn't the only thing that sells pistols.

If there were grainy photos of Fort Bragg Stockade Rifle and Pistol Club carrying 4506s in their drop-leg holsters, you wouldn't be able to buy them for less than a grand.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List