Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Getting my Crockett on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    No high speed, low-drag units use a 3rd Gen S&W. No internet-famous trainer extolls their virtues on YouTube.
    But Don, Kurt, Denzel, Michael and Keanu all have as Hollyweird cops. Thankfully that hasn't done to the 4506 what The Walking Dead has done to the Python.

If there were grainy photos of Fort Bragg Stockade Rifle and Pistol Club carrying 4506s in their drop-leg holsters, you wouldn't be able to buy them for less than a grand.
    How do you know there aren't? Maybe that's above your paygrade?
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've detail stripped third-gens, Sigs and a Beretta.

The Smiff frames are unreasonably complex to machine, with a multitude of expensive-looking parts in them. And lots of parts had to be fitted. And they're fragile. Just not a good, robust, modern design. Sigs are utter simplicity and dirt inexpensive to build in comparison. The world has been going to "more reliable, longer lasting, easier and faster to build" for a long time. And that doesn't mean "cheap." It's no mystery why the Smiths went away.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Yesterday I had my first shooting session with the rubber Hogues mounted and that did the trick. Does anyone have any comparative experience with the wood Hogues vs. the rubber? Is the wood close to the rubber in size or larger?

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Yesterday I had my first shooting session with the rubber Hogues mounted and that did the trick. Does anyone have any comparative experience with the wood Hogues vs. the rubber? Is the wood close to the rubber in size or larger?
    I can't answer your question about size, but I just thought I'd throw out there that the wood Hogues were forbidden at my agency. The policy pre-dated my arrival, and it's a 15 year old memory at this point, but my understanding is that somebody had experienced an impact, I believe from a fall, that cracked the grips. Since some of the working parts of the gun are in the grip, it rendered it inoperable.

Probably not a factor for your intended use, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    ... somebody had experienced an impact, I believe from a fall, that cracked the grips. Since some of the working parts of the gun are in the grip, it rendered it inoperable.
    True, then at some point Hogue changed their gen 3 design so a separate piece retained the mainspring cap instead of the grip itself and the thing could actually survive a cracked grip better than the factory grips can. I had an early version of the Hogue's that let the mainspring cap rest on a surface of the grip and a later version where it rested on the little dongle thing that was attached through the pin at the base....make sure you get a set with the later design if this is a concern...

The thing that they added to their design is called a "mainspring retainer" on those later generation Hogue's. It is the black thing in the middle of this picture, screws in place independently of the grips for both the wood and polymer versions...reminds me of the plastic retaining device on the latest generation Sig P series in terms of its function to supply a base for the mainspring that is independent of the grips

Attachment 25764
    Last edited by fatdog; 04-26-2018 at 02:18 PM.

Congrats on finding a clean 4506 and getting up and running!

As I've posted before, I purchased a 3rd gen 5906 new. Mine went back to the factory for some work immediately after purchase and it came back like the person who worked on it knew what they were doing. Mine never saw much use, remaining a safe queen. Not a pistol I want to carry but one I certainly still enjoy shooting from time to time...

Had things gone to plan,there’s be a picture of my 645 with a clean Dot Torture target.

Unfortunately,the right side safety screw detached after the strong hand only drill. :-(
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Had things gone to plan,there’s be a picture of my 645 with a clean Dot Torture target.

Unfortunately,the right side safety screw detached after the strong hand only drill. :-(
    Ah, the quirks of old guns. Better locktite that bi#@!

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Congrats on finding a clean 4506 and getting up and running!

As I've posted before, I purchased a 3rd gen 5906 new. Mine went back to the factory for some work immediately after purchase and it came back like the person who worked on it knew what they were doing. Mine never saw much use, remaining a safe queen. Not a pistol I want to carry but one I certainly still enjoy shooting from time to time...

Very nice example. How long ago did you send it in for work and what was done?

User Tag List