Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lee Precision Launching New Press--Lee Auto Breech Lock

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    The option to upgrade to a real priming system would have been nice. I wonder if this is really better than the Classic Turret (seriously, I don’t know).
    That's hard to say. The presses share a similar base price but cartridge conversions will be cheaper with the Turret since each conversion won't need a $20 shell plate.

Theoretically the Breech Loader will be faster since each pull of the handle will produce a loaded round. Priming will be just as slow on either machine.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    One neat use of the Breech Loader is rapid sizing and decapping of a batch of cases. Once sized and decapped, the batch can be primed off-press and then loaded progressively. Operated in this manner, the press should produce loaded rounds at a much faster rate than the turret version. Also this method circumvents using Lee's priming system, which appears to be an afterthought.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    One neat use of the Breech Loader is rapid sizing and decapping of a batch of cases. Once sized and decapped, the batch can be primed off-press and then loaded progressively. Operated in this manner, the press should produce loaded rounds at a much faster rate than the turret version. Also this method circumvents using Lee's priming system, which appears to be an afterthought.
    To me, "priming off of the press" means not a progressive reloader.
    #RESIST

Well, maybe someone like Inline Fabrication will come up with an adapter that allows mounting a non-Lee priming system to this press.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    To me, "priming off of the press" means not a progressive reloader.
    I'm with you on that, but there seems to a majority who prefer priming off the press, even when loading on a progressive.

I do see this new press as a good "My First Loading Press". If I hadn't already got my Load master tweaked(and it did take a little tweaking) and running smooth, I'd consider it.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    I will probably be up thru The Hartford, WI area within the next week or so. I plan on stopping into Titan and taking a look. I dont need another press, but can usually find something to buy when Im in there. Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    I'm with you on that, but there seems to a majority who prefer priming off the press, even when loading on a progressive.

I do see this new press as a good "My First Loading Press". If I hadn't already got my Load master tweaked(and it did take a little tweaking) and running smooth, I'd consider it.
    On your first statement, those guys are probably retired and not short on free time.

Agreed on your second statement, I hope this press works well.
    #RESIST

The other "benefit" to priming off press is that it allows the operator to prime up an unlimited amount of brass that can then be loaded without having to stop every 100 rounds to refill the tube.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    The other "benefit" to priming off press is that it allows the operator to prime up an unlimited amount of brass that can then be loaded without having to stop every 100 rounds to refill the tube.

Assuming a case feeder of some sort, then more time is spent handling each case by hand and then in bulk vs only in bulk. I’m assuming that someone can peck 100 primers faster than fill a tray and flip, then handle 100 pieces of brass. This is especially true if a primer tube filler is involved along with the case feeder.

I also can’t see putting 1-100 primers above my hand while shoving them into the primer pocket. Doesn’t seem like a very safe idea (and I believe there’s a thread about that on here).

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Assuming a case feeder of some sort, then more time is spent handling each case by hand and then in bulk vs only in bulk. I’m assuming that someone can peck 100 primers faster than fill a tray and flip, then handle 100 pieces of brass. This is especially true if a primer tube filler is involved along with the case feeder.

I also can’t see putting 1-100 primers above my hand while shoving them into the primer pocket. Doesn’t seem like a very safe idea (and I believe there’s a thread about that on here).
    I saw the thread with the blown up Hornady hand priming tool. Yikes!

I use a Hornady priming tool (same as the one that blew up) and have had good experiences with it. But I haven't had a primer go off while using it. I'm sure my opinion would change immediately in a case like that.

The other hand priming tool I use is the Lee Ergo Prime. It doesn't have the leverage the Hornady does so it can take more perceived force to seat. What it does have is a primer seater that is separated from the tray. Again, I haven't popped a primer using the Lee but believe it would be one of the safer options on the market in this regard.

Handling brass again is a bit of a slowdown. However, once I have a rhythm set I can feed them into the shell plate quickly.

Priming off press isn't ideal but it does save the aggravation of dealing with loaded rounds with smashed, tilted, upside down or missing primers.

User Tag List