Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Lee Precision Launching New Press--Lee Auto Breech Lock

Site Supporter

Lee Precision Launching New Press--Lee Auto Breech Lock

Looks like a 4 hole pro1000, separate seating and crimping.

I really dislike the loadmaster priming system and would pick this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jeep45238; 04-06-2018 at 05:41 PM.

I have a couple observations just from the available pics.
    1. The bullet seat station is at the back of the press and may(or may not) be a pain to hand set the bullet.
    2. It doesn't look like there would be a line of sight into the case after powder drop for visual verification.

I could be wrong. I probably am wrong, this is based solely on a couple pictures as I could find no vids of the operation.

$.02

Believe me when I say I am not looking for problems. I love my Lee reloading gear.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 04-06-2018 at 05:50 PM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Looks like a 4 hole pro1000, separate seating and crimping.

I really dislike the loadmaster priming system and would pick this

There have been a lot of complaints about the newer Safety Prime system. I have the earlier Safety prime and use it on my single stage with no issues. I also have no issues with the Load Master priming system. You just have to keep a full chute of primers. If you let the chute empty out it stops feeding reliably. I made a LED sensor alarm to let me know when the tray is empty.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

$110 @ Midway.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/27...gressive-press

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    There is an auto primer feed available called Safety Prime. Hit the link and see it on bottom margin.

Being in no big hurry, I now decap using another a dedicated single stage press. My priming is done off press using a Lee hand primer. This procedure is followed even if I choose a Dillon 550 or Square Deal B or one of my three turret presses for the remainder of the operations. This method permits preparing cases in batches. Also it frees me from the hassle of using auto primer feeds.

Over the years I've used all the major brands of reloading equipment with good success. Lee dies have also served me well.
    Last edited by willie; 04-06-2018 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    There is an auto primer feed available called Safety Prime. Hit the link and see it on bottom margin.
    Not really automatic because the operator needs to manually swing it in each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    https://leeprecision.com/auto-breech-lock-pro.html

Price seems good even without the dies and shell plate. I wonder how well it will work. Will this press be a replacement for the tired old Pro 1000 or something that'll be sold alongside the Pro 1000 and the Load Master?
    The Pro 1000 recently got a design refresh. Pictures on Lee's website now show a different base. I doubt they'll drop it so soon.

I have little to no experience with the Load Master other than helping a friend set his up. It seemed okay from what little I messed with it but he quickly sold it and bought a Dillon
    I find if I prime off press, the Loadmaster is a whole lot smoother to work with..

The Pro 1000, on the other hand, is something I've been using for years. It has its issues but what's amazing about the Pro is that, as cheap as it is, it can be used to churn out ammo at a pretty good rate. Not the most heavy duty or reliable press on the market by any means but certainly a good little press for someone who doesn't need a commercial grade unit.
    I tried and gave up on the Pro 1000 twice. Traded it straight up to a guy who was similarly tired of his Loadmaster (which I have much less trouble with).

So what do you all think? Will the Auto Breech be a decent product or pot metal junk?
    Wait and see.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    There have been a lot of complaints about the newer Safety Prime system. I have the earlier Safety prime and use it on my single stage with no issues. I also have no issues with the Load Master priming system. You just have to keep a full chute of primers. If you let the chute empty out it stops feeding reliably. I made a LED sensor alarm to let me know when the tray is empty.
    My main concern is the separation from the primer being forced into the case and the rest of the primers, and protection to the reloader.

Had 100 daisy chain on a loadmaster on me when reloading 45 (I’ll never know if it was a primer feed issue or a small primer brass that I missed). There is a shield sold after the fact for $5 to protect the loader in the case of this happening.

Essentially, there’s nothing to prevent a daisy chain from happening on a loadmaster if one goes. With it priming when all the brass is being worked by the dies, there’s no way to feel if something is wrong either.

After that experience, primer separation and feed mechanisms are something I’m critical of from a safety perspective. A carousel is better than the direct lineage system. A slider is even better. Priming movement different from the movement to send brass into dies is great (lets you feel issues).

I am on a 1050 now, and while it does prime when everything is happening, there’s a lot of primer separation and primer tube shielding just in case. I’ll live with that happily.

Quote Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
    The Pro 1000 recently got a design....
    Good catch on the base update. It looks like the Pro 1000 now has an actual tube to catch spent primers instead of having them fall down inside the press. Is this the same base as used on the new AB?

I still have a Pro 1000 but seldom use it as designed. Mostly nowadays I also prime off press. This allows me to put the powder measure at station one. I put the seater at station two and a FCD at station three. Since the Pro 1000 has a short little throw I can crank out ammo pretty fast. Especially true if I hook up the case feeder.

Last edited by Tokarev; 04-06-2018 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    A carousel is better than the direct lineage system. A slider is even better.
    The Hornady Pro Jector used a swinging arm that pivoted a primer from the tube over to the shell plate. The Lock N Load uses a slider that works in a similar manner.

User Tag List