Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: Lee Precision Launching New Press--Lee Auto Breech Lock

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Can't you install the resize die only and run hulls through it at a rapid pace and then prime off press with a tray equipped priming tool?
    A similar option might be to use something like a Pro 1000 just for sizing and priming. I don't know if I'd buy a Pro 1000 just for this use but it might be a good option if you already have one that sits in a box under your bench.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I have the Lee classic turret press and at one time had the Pro-1000.

I had a lot of problems with priming and light powder throws with the 1000. I had up until that time used just a single stage press.
    and maybe it was to much of a step up for me. Should have gotten the turret press.

Anyways, after way to many light powder throws and me tapping bullets out of the the barrels of my revolvers I sold the 1000 and bought 2 more single stage presses and deprimed the brass and hand primed them as I was either watching TV, or while sitting in a guard box at my part time job.
    Then with 3 presses I could finish the loading process and have pretty good quality rounds.

So then I upgraded to a 4 hole turret and with some tweaks with the safety prime I was able to do all of the steps at one time.
    With the turret press the safety prime is right in front of the press and I could get a clean primer drop 99% of the time.
    But it's still 4 pulls to make 1 finished round.

I just bought the Lee Auto Breech Lock press with the case feed and case collator. After getting it set up I quickly realized that for me the safety prime set up was going to be a problem. It's off the left of the station and getting a clean primer drop is pretty frustrating. I just gave up and ended up pouring the primers into a coffee can lid and putting the primers into the pocket by hand then using the press to seat the primer. The rest of the press seems to work pretty well.

So I ordered a bench priming system and a universal decapping die, and will do the decapping and priming in batches with a single stage press and the bench primer. Then run the primed brass though the press with the decapper removed so I just size the brass. I don't mind handling the brass twice, one of the things that I liked about the 3 press setup was that I could find .357 brass mixed in with my .38. And I could also find bad brass that needed to be scrapped.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I have the Lee classic turret press and at one time had the Pro-1000.

I had a lot of problems with priming and light powder throws with the 1000. I had up until that time used just a single stage press.
    and maybe it was to much of a step up for me. Should have gotten the turret press.

Anyways, after way to many light powder throws and me tapping bullets out of the the barrels of my revolvers I sold the 1000 and bought 2 more single stage presses and deprimed the brass and hand primed them as I was either watching TV, or while sitting in a guard box at my part time job.
    Then with 3 presses I could finish the loading process and have pretty good quality rounds.

So then I upgraded to a 4 hole turret and with some tweaks with the safety prime I was able to do all of the steps at one time.
    With the turret press the safety prime is right in front of the press and I could get a clean primer drop 99% of the time.
    But it's still 4 pulls to make 1 finished round.

I just bought the Lee Auto Breech Lock press with the case feed and case collator. After getting it set up I quickly realized that for me the safety prime set up was going to be a problem. It's off the left of the station and getting a clean primer drop is pretty frustrating. I just gave up and ended up pouring the primers into a coffee can lid and putting the primers into the pocket by hand then using the press to seat the primer. The rest of the press seems to work pretty well.
    My priming experiences with both Lee presses mirrors yours. Priming on the LCT is pretty easy, every now and again a primer falls out, or doesn’t drop. Its definitely more error prone on the breech lock, especially if you’re trying to reload with some speed or get into a rhythm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Site Supporter
    Small update. After getting the dies setup on the new press. I cranked out ~600. 38 special wadcutter rounds in about an hour and a half. With a break in there and spot checking throw weights. So it's a pretty good press. I did all the priming off press while I watched forged in fire the night before. Don't mind handling the brass I found some questionable ones that went into the scrap bucket.

I have the old Lee hand primer with the round primer tray it still works the best. Tried the new Lee one and it was terrible. Have the RCBS universal hand primer on the way rewiews seem good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    My priming experiences with both Lee presses mirrors yours. Priming on the LCT is pretty easy, every now and again a primer falls out, or doesn’t drop. Its definitely more error prone on the breech lock, especially if you’re trying to reload with some speed or get into a rhythm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do you also have issues with priming on the ABLP? I'm thinking this will be a good upgrade from my classic turret if I get the bullet and case feeders. I don't have any issues with priming on the classic turret

Site Supporter
    So I’m finally at the point where I just don’t have the time or patience to keep tinkering with the pro1000s priming system enough to keep it running. I have all the kit for it to use for an Auto Breach Lock but only if it has a hassle free priming system. Otherwise I’ll get the Dillon. I don’t like the idea of paying 4 times as much to get a reliable priming system and losing the case feeder.

Any word on this from those that have had it for a while? I only got 4 years out of the Pro1000. Thoughts between the square deal B and the ABL? This will be for 9mm only.
    Last edited by TOTS; 10-14-2019 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post
    So I’m finally at the point where I just don’t have the time or patience to keep tinkering with the pro1000s priming system enough to keep it running. I have all the kit for it to use for an Auto Breach Lock but only if it has a hassle free priming system. Otherwise I’ll get the Dillon. I don’t like the idea of paying 4 times as much to get a reliable priming system and losing the case feeder.

Any word on this from those that have had it for a while? I only got 4 years out of the Pro1000. Thoughts between the square deal B and the ABL? This will be for 9mm only.
    I’ll be selling a Square Deal. PM me if you’re interested.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Getting rid of mine. I can't stand it and not willing to work out the multiple problems. Its a POS as far as I am concerned. Glad some people are having good luck with it, not me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TOTS View Post

I prime off press. One time trying to run the priming system was enough for me.
    If I could have a do over it would be a Dillon.

Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    I prime off press. One time trying to run the priming system was enough for me.
    As I think I've mentioned; I have used the Pro1000 without the priming system. Put a sizing/decapping die in a tool head and run the cases through using the case feeder. Prime cases off press using a handheld tool. Take a Lee tool head and put the powder measure in station one, a seating die in station two and a factory crimp die in station three. Run primed brass through using the case feeder.

This is a very speedy way to load and has worked well for me the few times I've done it. The slowest/weirdest part of the whole process is placing the bullet into the case mouth at the back of the press on the left side of the case.

User Tag List