Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Lee Precision Launching New Press--Lee Auto Breech Lock

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    Ordered. At that low of a price, it is worth a shot. If I can double the speed of the LCT and it works, I will be a happy camper.
    I haven't ordered one yet although I'm tempted to.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Lee Precision Launching New Press--Lee Auto Breech Lock

I ordered from Kempf, with shell plates for 9/40 and 38.

I’ve been looking at adding something faster than the LCT I use for lower volume stuff. The 550 is setup for 9mm, and I’d prefer to not have to mess around with changing dies for 40 or 357.

Ive got a bunch of 40 components I’d like to use up while also loading 9mm, and for less than $200 all in, this seems like it will fit the bill
    @LittleLebowski I might have to take you up on checking out the 650.
    Last edited by richiecotite; 04-27-2018 at 01:05 AM.
    "I'm a tactical operator and Instructor and also retired military."

-read on another forum

Quote Originally Posted by richiecotite View Post
    I ordered from Kempf, with shell plates for 9/40 and 38.

I’ve been looking at adding something faster than the LCT I use for lower volume stuff. The 550 is setup for 9mm, and I’d prefer to not have to mess around with changing dies for 40 or 357.

Ive got a bunch of 40 components I’d like to use up while also loading 9mm, and for less than $200 all in, this seems like it will fit the bill
    @LittleLebowski I might have to take you up on checking out the 650.
    Mi casa su casa. I need to order some bullets. We can always bang on my Scorpion Evo in the backyard
    #RESIST

Set up the press today and cannot find the case ejector or spent primer tube setup anywhere. I think someone forgot to include them or I am going blind.

Overall the press seems decent with a mix of good steel parts and really cheap feeling plastic. You can kind of tell they were trying to shave costs wherever they felt it wouldnt matter.

Will reprt back once I get it actually up and running.
    Last edited by FPS; 05-06-2018 at 12:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post

Will reprt back once I get it actually up and running.
    Any updates?

- Lee responded quickly and sent missing parts very fast
    - Small primer arm seems to be binding at times with the shellplate. At first I thought it was getting stuck in the primer pocket but upon research, sounds like the binding has been a problem in the past on other machines. I have had it do it several times without a case in the shellplate.
    - Case feeder seems to work well in my very limited testing
    - Adding a round to stage 4 is a little awkward and slow but need to run it more.

I just havent given it enough time to troubleshoot the issues. Its kind of been a “more Lee issues” kind of thing. I can probably get it worked out with enough time and energy. Not ready to give up on it yet.
    Last edited by FPS; 05-19-2018 at 02:29 PM.

Spent a bit more time with it today:

- Binding seems to be gone. Tested with and without cases. I am wondering if something got out of alignment during die set up due to short stroking.
    - Priming system is a bit gimpy. Had several primers fall (using the new, grey triangle primer system). Need to do some more adjusting there.

Right now I am feeling it has potential but I won't really know until I use it in full progressive mode and have at least a couple thousand rounds through it.

Site Supporter
    The part that drives turning the shell plate and makes it automatic may have some type hitch. Perhaps removing and reinstalling may cure all. You'll see a plastic gear designed to break before something else does.
    Thanks for the report and keep us informed.

@FPS

Do you have any additional info for us? Thank you.

Sorry it took awhile to get back to this. Finally fired off my first 100 rds I loaded on the press. Had 1 rd with an overcharge that bulged the case and seized up the cylinder (mild .357 mag loads, no harm done but first one I've ever had in thousands of rounds loaded). Not sure how that happened since I have a Hornady powder check die but with all the futzing trying to get the press to work smoothly it is possible I missed it with some of the alterations I made having to move the cases backward to redo some stations and didn't look at the powder check die on this round.

I need more time on it to give you a really good run down to see if I can get used to the setup. My current impressions is that it is probably an improvement over the turret press if it ends up working consistently. However, my view of Lee products keeps decreasing. I guess they are fine if you are committed to a certain price point but compared my Dillon XL 650, I am beginning to believe (against my nature that always wants bang for the buck solutions) that I really should buy once, cry once and be happy with higher quality products at higher prices. The Dillon XL 650 setup wasn't cheap, but every time I use it I think how glad I am that I made the purchase. Maybe I wouldn't be so thrilled if I had to deal with caliber changes though...
    Last edited by FPS; 08-13-2018 at 05:57 PM.

User Tag List