Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lee Precision Launching New Press--Lee Auto Breech Lock

Lee Precision Launching New Press--Lee Auto Breech Lock

https://leeprecision.com/auto-breech-lock-pro.html

Price seems good even without the dies and shell plate. I wonder how well it will work. Will this press be a replacement for the tired old Pro 1000 or something that'll be sold alongside the Pro 1000 and the Load Master?

I have little to no experience with the Load Master other than helping a friend set his up. It seemed okay from what little I messed with it but he quickly sold it and bought a Dillon.

The Pro 1000, on the other hand, is something I've been using for years. It has its issues but what's amazing about the Pro is that, as cheap as it is, it can be used to churn out ammo at a pretty good rate. Not the most heavy duty or reliable press on the market by any means but certainly a good little press for someone who doesn't need a commercial grade unit.

So what do you all think? Will the Auto Breech be a decent product or pot metal junk?

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    It’s about time they came out with something new. It looks like a cross between the 1000 and the Loadmaster. I frequent an outfit called Titan Reloading up near the Lee facility in WI. Next time through, I’ll have to stop. I’m sure they will have one set up and running.

I’ve caught a LOT of grief over the years with my support of Lee equipment. My first Lee press was a Pro-1000 bought in 1984. It’s STILL on bench downstairs. It’s had a few parts replaced over the years due to wear, but I cannot even imagine how many tens of thousands of rounds that thing has cranked out for me since I bought it at Farm&Fleet. About 2 years ago, the carrier body finally developed a hairline crack in it. I decided to not fix it and get a Loadmaster for my volume work. I’m happy with that too. I continue to use the 1000 frame as a turret press. So...my bench left to right has a Lee Challenger for precision rifle loading, the old 1000 set up as a turret for low volume stuff like .300BO/.357mag/.44spl, and the Loadmaster set up for volume practice rounds for .40, 9mm and the like. Most of my general purpose dies are Lee to. The exception being the Forester and other specialty dies I use for precision rifle. The only other press I might entertain purchasing is a Co-Ax. The folks at Forester make great products that IMHO pretty much sit at the top of the heap.

One odd thing, from looking over the available info, is that this new press does not use an automated primer feeder. Primers need to be either placed in the seater cup one at a time or fed into the cup via the Safety Prime.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Looks to be an in between thing.

For the minor price difference, I'd stay with the Load Master. That is, unless this new press does something spectacularly well that is not self evident from the limited info at LP's web site.

I like to set up "tool heads" for my Load Master. I have them ready for 9mm, .45acp, .380, .223/5.56, .300blk and .30-30. Very quick to change caliber and no set up required. I also use the extra station for a Powder COP die on the rifle calibers. Can't do that with the new press.

Again, this may be a fantastic press and I just don't see the advantage. Most of Lee's stuff does exactly what it's supposed to at good prices. I was not fond of the Pro 1000. Didn't like it even a little bit after getting the Load Master. But, it worked and was cheap.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 04-06-2018 at 09:03 AM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    One odd thing, from looking over the available info, is that this new press does not use an automated primer feeder. Primers need to be either placed in the seater cup one at a time or fed into the cup via the Safety Prime.

No worries! Lee will come up with something dreamed up in an ice fishing shanty on Lake Shawano using a case of Leinenkugle as inspiration. Funny thing is that it will look like your typical Wisconsin homemade trailer you see being towed by a GMC heading “nort” but it will work just fine.

Not in stock yet but surprisingly cheap! Shell plates are showing as less than $20.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...gressive-press

$107 is insanely cheap. Is it 4 or 5 stage?

If it is 5 stage and faster than the turret press and works, I’m in.
    Last edited by FPS; 04-06-2018 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FPS View Post
    $107 is insanely cheap. Is it 4 or 5 stage?

If it is 5 stage and faster than the turret press and works, I’m in.
    Four station so nowhere to use a Powder Cop and/or separate crimp die.

It's 4 stage. Where are you seeing it for $107?

Titan has it listed at $124 and after adding the shell plate, powder drop, dies and shipping it comes in at $242.00 and the Load master set up for a pistol caliber is $267.00 delivered from Titan Reloading.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Rich@CCC View Post
    It's 4 stage. Where are you seeing it for $107?

Titan has it listed at $124 and after adding the shell plate, powder drop, dies and shipping it comes in at $242.00 and the Load master set up for a pistol caliber is $267.00 delivered from Titan Reloading.
    Check my link to Mid South Shooters above. $107 for the press. $18 for shell plate.

Adding dies and a powder measure does lean the press towards other options. I guess Lee figures most interested people have accessories previously used in the Pro 1000 or Turret.

Last edited by Tokarev; 04-06-2018 at 05:34 PM.

User Tag List