Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving magazine ejection the middle finger?

Giving magazine ejection the middle finger?

I've found that I can maintain a far better grip using my middle finger to eject a magazine instead of my thumb. I keep a far better grip on the pistol, don't have to fight to reestablish a grip before going back to target, and have a better grip when my sights arrive back at the target.

I noticed it with my Langdon M9, but it seems to work with my 17.4 (M beavertail) and my 1911.

Guns seem to be made to use the thumb, but for many folks they have to give up a ton of grip to do that. I'm wondering if anyone presents this as an alternative method, or if anyone actively argues against that.

I made a brief video to show why I think it works better for me.

I'd love to hear the reason it has been taught to use the thumb all these years, as well as why this is or isn't a valid technique. I put it into better words in the video.

-Cory

Site Supporter
    I used to use the middle finger as well but I found I was more consistent with the thumb. Dunno why. Maybe I'll have to play with it more.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The proof is in the timer. If you are sub 1.3 from an open mag pouch you are fine.
    A71593

Interesting. Like nwhpfan said, if it’s working for you...
    But, this isn’t a technique I would use. My middle finger doesn’t cover the mag release on any of my guns without a grip shift. On most (but not all) of my guns, I don’t have to shift my grip to drop the mag with my thumb. The force required to drop the mag decisively is harder for me to generate with a finger squeeze than a thumb press. Lastly, my middle finger already has a job: gripping the gun. My thumb’s only jobs are to press the mag release and operate the slide stop.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    The proof is in the timer. If you are sub 1.3 from an open mag pouch you are fine.
    I don't have an open mag pouch. I did this AIWB reload (using a Glock mag holster not 92. I'll get one at some point). I'm not at 1.3 at the moment, but that's because my reloads are rusty not the method. Thoughts?

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    I don't have an open mag pouch. I did this AIWB reload (using a Glock mag holster not 92. I'll get one at some point). I'm not at 1.3 at the moment, but that's because my reloads are rusty not the method. Thoughts?

-Cory
    Like you said...the magazine release isn't a issue. The old mag is gone long before the new one gets there... If the middle finger works for you, go for it. *The only thing I would say... Is the tension now due to your finger being wrapped all around your gun? I would suggest breaking the reload down ala "Burkert Reloads." Shoot for .6 to the mag opening concentrating on speed and a consistent presentation of the mag opening to the magazine.
    A71593

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    Like you said...the magazine release isn't a issue. The old mag is gone long before the new one gets there... If the middle finger works for you, go for it. *The only thing I would say... Is the tension now due to your finger being wrapped all around your gun? I would suggest breaking the reload down ala "Burkert Reloads." Shoot for .6 to the mag opening concentrating on speed and a consistent presentation of the mag opening to the magazine.
    I've worked Burkett in the past. These were pretty much on demand and my first reloads since 3/21 or so. I'll sure up the other stuff over time and improve the overall insert.

-Cory

I would fuck that up and be dropping mags on accident, but if it works it works.

I don't have to worry about it too much though #PaddleReleaseMasterRace
    Last edited by Peally; 04-05-2018 at 05:23 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I would fuck that up and be dropping mags on accident, but if it works it works.

I don't have to worry about it too much though #PaddleReleaseMasterRace
    Not sure how that would happen considering it's the normal firing grip while shooting. Yeah, it definitely wouldn't work with a paddle.

-Cory
    Last edited by Cory; 04-05-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    it's the normal firing grip while shooting.-Cory
    Exactly how I'd fuck it up. If my finger is constantly on it all it takes is variable tension. Probably not an actual issue though, people shoot with thumb releases all the time.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

User Tag List