Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Giving magazine ejection the middle finger?

Quote Originally Posted by cor_man257 View Post
    Yeah, it definitely wouldn't work with a paddle.
    Paddles have a different version of the same advantage, though; my thumbs are not long enough to consistently, comfortably hit most button releases without shifting my grip on the gun. I actuate paddle releases with my trigger finger, which gives me two advantages: one, just as with your middle finger button method, I don't have to shift my grip at all to do it, and two, there's no way for me to have my finger on the trigger while reloading, because it's busy doing something else. Next time I have access to a button gun, I'll have to check out your method, though; I'm curious whether or not it would work for me. My assumption for a long time has been that if I ever wanted to own a button gun, my preference would be either ambidextrous mag release buttons or a reversible one which I would switch to the "lefty" configuration and hit with my trigger finger. YMMV, of course.

Site Supporter
    I wear a medium size glove. I just tried this with my SIRT pistol. I can reach the magazine release with my thumb without shifting my grip, but reaching the release with my middle finger requires shifting my grip.

I have learned to try to grab the gun so that the central axis of the barrel is aligned with the central axis of my forearm whwn both are viewed from the top. This gives me a very consistent grip out of the holster, consistently brings my sights up aligned, and as long as I contact the trigger with the center of the pad between the first joint and tip of my index finger, facilitates a straight back trigger pull that does not push the gun to one side or the other.

Looking at the original poster's grip in the video, the gun is to the left of the position I prefer within the primary hand. Expressed differently, the original poster's hand is wrapped around the grip so that the four fingers are extended farther around the front, and the thumb is extended less far around the left side. I used to grip my guns the same way until not long ago, and I now consider this grip to be soboptimal.

For this reason, I would encourage sticking with the thumb.

From a fairly newer shooters perspective, I would ask does this work on all the guns you would carry? If not then I wouldn't switch to it (muscle memory).

As a lefty that has only ever rocked Gen 2 Glocks, the middle finger is all I've ever used.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've used the method you show for several years on Gen 4 Glocks with mildly undercut trigger guards and NDZ extended mag releases, also more recently on the Beretta PX4CC with the large mag release. Never seen anyone else do it this way until now, thought I was the only freak. My middle finger normally sits below the mag release with my normal grip so no concerns about dropping a mag prematurely. On most guns I don't have a problem getting to the mag release with my thumb, but my thumb isn't in a good position to apply firm pressure without shifting my grip a bit. Maybe it's just how my thumb is shaped or something. I found reaching around with the middle finger to be a more reliable way to release the mag without changing the position of the gun in my hand. It did take a while for the method to really take hold as my default programmed behavior...I never had any confusion in dry fire, but during the first few USPSA matches after switching I sometimes "forgot" to do it the new way.

I carry a G17 Gen4 with large beavertail. I have big enough hands that my thumb reaches the mag release without shifting the grip. Also, the mag release (stock) sits above my middle finger and cannot be touched with my middle finger without shifting my grip. Without undercutting the trigger guard, I don't even know how your middle finger reaches high enough to press the release without a shift. If your grip allows your middle finger to rest on the release (or be close enough to reach it without the shift) I'd be afraid I'd accidentally drop the mag under stress.

Tried doing 1.3 reloads again this morning. AIWB. I still need a lot more work on my inserts and magazine index. I'm using my middle finger to eject the entire time, and the magazine is always gone before I screw the reload. A few times I think I meet the par given. I'm so rusty compared to where I was.

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I don't have to worry about it too much though #PaddleReleaseMasterRace
    The paddle release on my Walther PPS M1 was a "wtf?" kind of thing seven years ago when I purchased it. Then I got used to it and kind of liked it.

Then my PPQ M1 came along earlier this year and with its larger trigger guard and release, it became a "whoa, this rocks" kind of thing.

Now I'm done with buttons.

FWIW, I use my middle finger on the paddle.
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 06-09-2018 at 05:40 AM.

User Tag List