Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI: Switching Calibers/Rifles/Platforms/Systems/Whatever (AK to AR)?

It's not challenging to mount a white light on an AK, or an optic for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I went all AR. I found the ergonomics better, and I didn't see the need to keep two manual of arms going when I'm required to be proficient in the AR. My AK was fun, but I've never missed it.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Three thoughts:

1) A rifle in hand beats one someplace else. If you want to replace it, get the replacement first.

2) While I go AR for my rifle needs, currently, my rifle needs are actually pretty limited (and I run a sub-caliber, 9mm AR). I've actually always found the AK a more intuitive and more satisfying platform to shoot. For me, personally, growing up on 10/22s, M1 Carbines, and the like, the rack the bolt with the strong hand manual arms is more hardwired. It has taken me a lot of reps to hammer home the AR manual of arms.

3) I really prefer the feel of a well built AK to an AR. It's not to say I think the reliability is significantly different, I don't really think it matters if you get a quality AR and run it wet. But to me, not hearing the buffer bounce around the stock when firing, the compactness of a side-folding AK, and the robust feel of the steel gun, "feels" right.

Quality 7.62x39 rounds, like Hornady SST are still cheaper by the round than 5.56 TAP or other choices. For the budget conscious this remains a real issue and one I think should be considered. To my mind, an Arsenal-built AK, with Magpul furniture, a weaponlight, and an Aimpoint is ever bit the equivalent of a Colt 6920 setup the same way for engagements out to 300m. Beyond that, I think an LPV equipped AR begins to gain ground.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 04-21-2018 at 11:14 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    This is more of a RFA: request for advice. My first, and only rifle, is an AK. I bought it a few years ago. At the time, it (maybe) looked like the AK was going to take off in the US. I wanted a "general purpose"/home defense rifle that I didn't need to be obsessive about maintaining (not that I couldn't/wouldn't do normal maintenance), and that would be cost effective to operate if I wanted to go out and just shoot. I also (possibly mistakenly) wanted to be a little different.

Well, now it's a few years later, and I'm having second thoughts.

The AK market, while better, didn't seem to take off as much as I thought it would. Whenever I go out shooting, I'm the only one with an AK, so, yeah, I'm the special snowflake. I'm becoming increasingly concerned that it will get harder and harder to get parts if anything goes wrong, and 7.62x39 ammo isn't that much cheaper than something like .223/5.56. This being the American market, almost everything carbine (products, training, etc.) seems slanted toward the AR-15, so I would be looking to switch to one of those.

So, on one hand, once I would get into the AR-15 market, it would be much easier to deal with, but getting my money out of what I have would be a royal pain in the ass.

Advice?

...and "get/keep both" is not really a good option for me, for various reason (financial/relationship/etc).
    If I had to cut down to one rifle, it would be an AR.

The idea that a current production, quality AR is maintaince intensive is incorrect. If you keep adding lube, they keep shooting.

The issues 50 years ago when the AR first entered service have long been resolved. The cleaning cult in the U.S. Military is about the culture of the military not deficiencies in the reliability of the AR platform.

User Tag List