Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Switching Calibers/Rifles/Platforms/Systems/Whatever (AK to AR)?

Depends on how much You get hosed on swapping to an AR. I would Just slowly pick up parts for an AR and build my own. Keep the AK.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

AKs - good AKs, at least - seem to be a more stable long-term investment than ARs. I see nothing wrong with having both, but AK costs have been slowly trending upward for years.

If it's really not something you can keep, your best bet is to dump it next time something bad happens to the AK, whether that's the announcement of more sanctions against Russia or a general panic, but I'd definitely start getting the things you need for an AR now while it's still a buyer's market. There will always be more AR parts around than AK parts (finding the correct parts for cloning/refurbishing an Egyptian AKM and Izzy AKS-74N were eas more difficult than any AR build I've done), and in my experience, ARs are much easier to maintain as well. If your intent is to have a "future-proof" rifle, it's hard if not outright impossible to beat the AR.

AKs are fuckaround guns (let's be honest, that's 95% of all firearms), if all you need it for is shooting home invaders and plinking steel at a range then it can accomplish that.

The rifle standard is an AR and that will be fact for a long time still. If you demand the "standard" then buy an AR. AKs are not going to replace them just like the BRNO isn't going to usurp all Glocks.

Do what you want.
    Last edited by Peally; 04-05-2018 at 02:17 PM.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    AKs are fuckaround guns (let's be honest, that's 95% of all firearms), if all you need it for is shooting home invaders and plinking steel at a range then it can accomplish that.

The rifle standard is an AR and that will be fact for a long time still. If you demand the "standard" then buy an AR. AKs are not going to replace them just like the BRNO isn't going to usurp all Glocks.

Do what you want.
    http://instagram.com/p/BhM0iWkDhHu/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    It's not really that I have a burning desire for an AR, it's the nagging doubt that I made the wrong choice.
    Get used to that. Not just with guns, but with every aspect of life. There is no best, just varying levels of imperfection and our ability to tolerate them.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Keep the AK, make it your spare. buy a spare parts kit. Buy mags now, they're dirt cheap. Stack ammo, especially the 8m3 which looks horrific(fantastic) in gelatin.Save up for an AR.
    Then, you're covered for whatever comes along with the 2 most common ammo/magazine rifles.

We’ve talked in the past. If you aren’t happy with the AK go for the AR.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

RFI: Switching Calibers/Rifles/Platforms/Systems/Whatever (AK to AR)?

For me the choice would be easy. A 5.56 AR is an excellent home defense gun, with the proper load. 7.62x39 in a home defense role doesn’t make as much sense to me, unless you also need to deal with large animals. See this sticky:
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...9&share_type=t

Accuracy, ergos, parts, etc. all superior on an AR.

Move on.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-05-2018 at 07:32 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

If it's just a feeling that you picked the wrong rifle, I'd stick with the AK since it's what ya got, unless it's a RAS47/C39V2/IO Inc. Then I'd dump that shit and get a current production WASR.

Aftermarket support for the AK has never been better. It's not going to surpass the AR but I don't need it to. If you think you'd be better served by an AR, make the switch. Either one can be setup however you'd like it and perform the intended task.

Pic for attention. That FDE MOE stock is getting Rit Dyed black tomorrow. Yes that's a Tapco mag. I got 24 of them for $110 shipped, all have been 100% reliable and serve the purpose of being fuckaround range mags. I've got a bunch of Magpul M3 and surplus mags too.
    Attachment 25117

As others have said, the after market support for the AK is no where near what it is in this country for the AR.

Same can be said for ammunition. More and more ammunition manufactures are spending research money to develop new bullet designs for the AR. Not so much for the AK. There are some excellent bonded rounds out there for the AR. You don't have to depend on a FMJ round for home defense within an urban area.

Ergonomics of the AR is vastly superior to the AK. The ability to mount a white light to your home defense gun is stupid simple for the AR. The AK is a bit more challenging.

If you shoot out a barrel in an AR, it's not that big of a deal to replace it. Shoot out a barrel in an AK, Better have a machine press handy.

Durability between the two...? Please... Learn how to lube and maintain an AR. It's not rocket science.

I still own an AK (one). I haven't shot it in a couple of years. I have an AR mounted next to my right elbow in my unmarked LE take home vehicle. I have an AR secured in an accessible location in the bedroom of my house. I might have a couple of other AR's in the safe.

Each of my adult children and step children were gifted a Colt 6920 AR with MagPul MOE-SL furniture. Add a white light and a RDO and this is my concept of a basic, simple general purpose rifle.

My advice would be to dump the AK and get an AR.
    Last edited by Beat Trash; 04-06-2018 at 09:35 AM.

User Tag List