Thread: Sheriff of Baghdad/SOB Tactical 2 Day Carbine

Sheriff of Baghdad/SOB Tactical 2 Day Carbine

Two Day Carbine-SOB Tactical

March 28/29 2018

Bastrop, Texas

Recently I attended the Two Day Carbine class offered by SOB Tactical. The class was coached by John Shrek McPhee. The class was held at UpTex Shooting Range in Bastrop, Texas. I had heard a little about SOB but it wasn’t until I looked at the course announcement and became aware that John used the Modern Sports Coaching method of instruction. Up to this point I had only received instruction using the traditional method.

Currently I’m a paramedic in a small ER. Previously I worked in a Level 2 Trauma Center and was an In-Charge Paramedic for the local 911 service before that. Before moving to Texas I spent 12 years as a police officer in Ohio. I have attended numerous classes from various instructors over the last decade. Most recently I attended Talon Defense/Ditch Medicine’s Combatant Casualty Care C2 and Presscheck Consulting’s Two Day Rifle and Pistol Refresher Clinic.

Gear was functional. I wore cargo pants and wet weather jacket from Duluth Trading. Magazines were run out of an Extreme Gear Labs Hizzy Belt Pouch. The rifle I used was an Arsenal SAM7SF that was moderately modified with ALG trigger, SLR Rifleworks Handguard, Krebs Safety and Magpul K2 grip. Optics consisted of a TrijiconTA33 ACOG in RS Regulate Mount. Mags were Magpul MOE 30’s and M3.

The class was very small. John caps the classes at 6 students but prefers only 5. There were just three of us for this class. We had a lefty 556 AR, a righty 300blk AR and me with the righty 762x39 AK.

TD1

Day 1 started off with quick introductions and John explained himself and his method. He went over safety rules and medical plan. We then started off by getting baseline videos of our current skill level/technique. Afterwards John went over what the video revealed and what we needed to do to fix what we found. The drill, video and debrief was repeated after every segment of instruction. We finished up the day with another baseline video to see how we had improved. This time debriefing included a comparison with our original baseline video. It was readily apparent how much we had improved with just a few minor tweaks to our presentation, stance and grip. Personally my times were more than cut in half. On the final video of the day you could see almost 4 rounds loose before breaking the first shot on my initial video. We ended a little early due to the extreme weather and range conditions. John and the three of us headed out to a late lunch together for additional debrief and socializing.

TD2

Day 2 saw much better weather and range conditions. We started off with a little competition reviewing the skills from the previous day. We then worked on reloads. John had individual procedures for each of us. For the AK he is a fan of the Mag Bash Reload. I tried running it but wasn’t quite sold. When it came time to do the videos John had me do an extra video to compare me running Thumb Sweep vs Mag Bash. Turned out Thumb Sweep was faster by .2-.3 of a second for me and John had me keep using it. We worked malfunctions next. Again John had specific procedures for each of us. After running the drills we made more videos. While each video was specific John would point out presentation, stance and grip issues whenever they appeared. We did not stop for lunch; we just snacked and worked through. Transitioning between targets was gone over and the importance of moving eyes first drilled. Movement was addressed with forward, diagonal and lateral drills. We finished up by running a drill John called “Yemen” for video. Yemen consisted of 2 targets at 5 yards. Two rounds were fired at each target, a reload performed and an additional two rounds each target. A minimum of two A zone hits were required each. A final debrief of the videos was completed and John addressed issues for us to continue to work on.

Final

This class was very low round count (270) but I made tremendous improvements in my shooting. John sent all of our videos to us via DropBox. The videos included all of the visuals and coaching he gave as we reviewed them with him. No other class have I returned home from with actual tools to continue to improve on my own. During the class John stressed that he was a Coach, not an instructor. He stated that his goal was to make us better shooters. “I can’t help you because lefty/AK/_____” was not something that was said. John emphasized that the problem could be worked through to come up with a solution. John had a seemingly endless library of videos of all types of shooters to reference as examples. The small class size allowed for a lot of individualized attention and instruction. I would take another class from John. I would like to do his pistol class. I would even take this class again next year. I didn’t experience any gear or weapon failures (unless intentionally induced) during the course. The 3x30 ACOG continues to work just fine up close, AK PMags continue to feed reliably and SAM7SF continues to function as expected. The EGL Hizzy Pouch worked perfectly and was comfortable to wear.

My before and after video on IG:

http://instagram.com/p/Bg_JMVdDMbo/

Sheriff of Baghdad
    SOB Tactical
    John Shrek McPhee
    AK47
    Kalashnikov
    762x39
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Working through a double feed:

http://instagram.com/p/BhEZk_NjrSp/
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

User Tag List