Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chest holsters and archery hunting...

An issue with a chest pack or harness is every time you want to adjust layers, you need to remove the rig. I go AIWB or a Safariland thigh rig, adjusted to ride quite high.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I agree with GJM

I really don’t get the chest rigs, plus I personally think they look dorky. If you try a chest rig I would highly recommend trying it in all the positions you could possibly find yourself shooting from. Last thing you want to do is draw back in a awkward position and realize things are not working out.

When I am hunting I carry AIWB or OWB never had a issue with comfort or access.

The recommendation to practice all draw positions you may be in is solid advice. Personally I haven't experienced any trouble drawing the bow when wearing the chest pack. Kneeling, sitting or standing I'm good. I'm bowhunting out of a tree and usually carrying a climbing stand. I hike in wearing lightweight camo and put on additional cover once I get to the tree I'm hunting. One thing I like about the kit bag is I can carry a full sized pistol concealed with good access. I'm hunting in central Virginia and will bump into a farm hand or landowner a few times a season who wants to shoot the breeze about family, etc. No need raising eyebrows if it can be avoided.

There are several factors that went into getting the kit bag. Frist and foremost is, it will be a multi-use piece of equipment and will allow me to carry on the trails that frequently hit. A chest holster or drop rig would be of limited use and would collect dust after the trip. Around my parts if you hike while open carrying, its not long before the rangers show up looking for the mad man with a gun and that gets awkward. The other major reason is the pack quiver I use has a waist belt that wears around the hips and with a 5 inch revolver on my trouser belt, I could never get the waist belt to ride where it needed to. I have a belt and holster that lets me carry down on my hips and will be going as a second option. I have been shooting the bow with the bag stuffed full and have not had any interference since I moved all of the zipper pulls to the off side.

Thanks again for the help and ideas.

I have the same HPG kit bag and I love it. I wear it backpacking, hunting, and on my tractor. Suits my needs

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    There are several factors that went into getting the kit bag. Frist and foremost is, it will be a multi-use piece of equipment and will allow me to carry on the trails that frequently hit. A chest holster or drop rig would be of limited use and would collect dust after the trip. Around my parts if you hike while open carrying, its not long before the rangers show up looking for the mad man with a gun and that gets awkward. The other major reason is the pack quiver I use has a waist belt that wears around the hips and with a 5 inch revolver on my trouser belt, I could never get the waist belt to ride where it needed to. I have a belt and holster that lets me carry down on my hips and will be going as a second option. I have been shooting the bow with the bag stuffed full and have not had any interference since I moved all of the zipper pulls to the off side.

Thanks again for the help and ideas.
    Around rural Alaska, what looks odd is if you don’t have a visible firearm, and can prompt offers to loan you one.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List