Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chest holsters and archery hunting...

Chest holsters and archery hunting...

Do they mix? I have stayed up way past my bed time looking for an answer. I have concerns if I go with a chest holster there could be a chance to hook the butt of the gun or part of the holster with the bow string at full draw. I have also been looking at the Hill People Kit Bag, it appears to be less of a chance to catch the string. The reason I'm concerned is I have popped buttons off of my shirt while practicing in the yard and I don't want to screw up on the side of a mountain in Wyoming. My first option and it is still the strong option, is one of my 2 belt holsters with or with out a dedicated belt. Thanks, Forrest

HPG and a bow do not work for me.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Is crossdraw still a thing? Every time I see somebody innocently scratching a wooden buttstock on their (strongside) pistol, I'm reminded of crossdraw.

The HPG kit bag and a compound bow work just fine for me. Killed quite a few deer wearing one and it's my preferred way to carry my gun, wallet, keys and phone when hunting. HPG kit bag does not work so well with a trad bow though, fyi.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    The HPG kit bag and a compound bow work just fine for me. Killed quite a few deer wearing one and it's my preferred way to carry my gun, wallet, keys and phone when hunting. HPG kit bag does not work so well with a trad bow though, fyi.
    My experience with HPG kit bag is identical to the above.

I am working on a setup for hiking so I am not familiar with the peculiarities of bow hunting. The HPG looks nice but I don't want to wear something on my chest that high. Have you thought of a minimalist molle chest rig and a pouch to put your pistol in. I like the idea so I can adjust ride height lower towards stomach area just above my pack's waist belt. There is enough real estate to put an additional pouch for whatever incidentals you need easy access to as well.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cool Breeze; 04-06-2018 at 12:35 PM.

How about a shoulder holster? Or a tanker holster. I've seen some guys wear the tanker holster almost under their arm.

I'm not a bow Hunter, but I still carry appendix when out in the woods. I'm in the SE US so it rarely gets cold enough to wear heavy winter clothing, and I don't use packs with hip belts.

I have a 66" and 64" recurve with a 32" DL and a wheel bow with a 31" DL and the Gunfighters Kenai works well with a G19 and G43; hopefully with have some G20 info soon but I don't think it will be an issue. I backpack hunt so I need a pack with a belt and have not grown to like the pistol on the belt.

I will try the holster and the belt again this year, due to the Kenai not exactly jiving with my bino harness.
    Last edited by PNWTO; 04-07-2018 at 08:30 PM.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I gotta Kit Bag

I dug this up instead of starting a new thread. First off, thanks for all the ideas to work with. I have experimented all summer in how to carry a revolver while hunting, most of which is listed above. I really tried a waist carry option as that would not have required a purchase of new gear. The least objectional was behind the hip in a dedicated holster/belt combo to the most objectional would be the cross draw position, too much interference with a bow in the left hand and in a kneeling position I actually got the bow cables behind the butt. I was hesitant to buy a chest rig and after weighing the options, I settled on a Hill People Original Kit Bag V2. Waiting so long to order left me with limited color options of basic black-meh not really a good camo color, coyote-I don't have the skin tones to rock it, or foliage-hey, that even sounds camo. I got the Recon harness and the Osprey 2.5 liter hydration bag from REI fits perfect. I have had it less than a week and I have it stuffed with everything that I can possible cram in there, mainly just to have weight while PTing. I've got 20 miles in so far, around 4 miles at a go, I've got no complaints. Putting the zipper pulls on the right side keeps any snags away from the bow string. The 5 inch GP100 just fits. I don't think I could get it zipped if it had a 5.5 inch barrel. I have 1 SKS speed loader and 2 speed strips that I will carry my spare ammo. Once I get to Wyoming I think I will slim down what I carry in the bag to compass, fire kit, first aid, a couple of protein bars and Mora knife, leaving room to stuff in things I might need to stow in a hurry. My main pack and pockets will get the rest. Just 3 weeks till we go.

User Tag List