Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duplicate duty pistols?

Duplicate duty pistols?

Do any of you guys have a set similar/identical duty pistols? Do you practice with one and carry the other? If so, why?

I’ve always had a spare duplicate that mirrors my duty pistol but I’m beginning to think it’s superfluous. I shoot more than most but it’s not like I’m burning through 50k rounds a year or anything.

I know some will say it’s needed if you get into a UOF but I think you will be on admin leave for long enough to procure another...
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 03-10-2018 at 10:23 PM.

I might be prompted to have a "spare" if it was my responsibility to provide my own duty gun. I didn't carry a POW too often during my career so if my "duty gun" was out of commission for any reason, they would simply issue me another one.

Am I misinterpreting the question? Disregard this post if I am.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

My finances won't let me have a suite of pistols with duplicates or triplicates, so I try to build redundancy other ways. For me, that means a family of GLOCKs, G19 (primary), G26 (BUG and off duty summer carry), and G34 (nightstand with WML). I feel if I lose any of these to reliability issues or evidence, I can press one or more of the others into service. If my 19 goes away, I can carry my 34 in a JMCK IWB for a primary carry gun until my LGS gets me another G19 in stock, or, I can "down gun" to the G26 loaded with a G19 magazine and G17/34 mags as reloads. If the G26 is out of action, I can always work a little harder at concealment and carry the G19 in its place. Holsters interchange, mags interchange, parts interchange - easy peasy.

I have a pair of Gen 4 Glock 17s with gadgets, X300s, and TrijiconHDs. One is my primary duty pistol and the other is the backup primary and training gun. I also have single copies of the Glock 26.4(back up), 19.4(Off Duty) and a pair of 43s, those are all set up with HDs and Gadgets.

I’m not comfortable carrying a dirty gun on duty, so I like having a training gun which I can go use for an hour and leave dirty between uses. It’s a little thing, but the easier and faster you make it to train the more often you will go do it.

I think psalms 144.1 makes a good point and agree for the non LE user a Glock 19 carry gun could be the back up to their USPSA, training, home defense Glock 17/34. The 19 is close enough in performance and handling I would rather own a 34 or 17 and a 19 than two 17s and not have the compact carry option.

My duty gun is issued by my agency so if it has to go into evidence the agency will provide another. I do have an identical backup to my primary off duty G19. I carry one that I vetted and do most of my practice and training with the other.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    Do any of you guys have a set similar/identical duty pistols? Do you practice with one and carry the other? If so, why?

I’ve always had a spare duplicate that mirrors my duty pistol but I’m beginning to think it’s superfluous. I shoot more than most but it’s not like I’m burning through 50k rounds a year or anything.

I know some will say it’s needed if you get into a UOF but I think you will be on admin leave for long enough to procure another...
    I carry an optional approved POW, a Gen 4 Glock 17. I have a duplicate which is identical except the duplicate has Trijicon HD XR sights vs HD on my “on the books” gun. Ok, I admit it, I have three Gen 4, 17s, plus a 17 MOS, Plus .... ok damn it I have a Blue Label problem!

Seriously, when I carried Agency issued guns (HK USPC and P229R) I normally kept a personally owned copy for training as we are only supposed to shoot GOV issued ammo in GOV guns.

Along the lines of the OP’s question, I used to work in a smaller office where a co-worker got into a shooting. We sent him home with my Agency issued gun because A) I was the only one with a second gun / POW authorized and B) the nearest Agency spares were 5 hours away. Your situation may vary.

Identical practice and carry pistols. Shoot 1000+ ball and 200 or so JHP to prove the carry pistol and put the 10,000 rounds a year on the practice pistol.
    This is with HKs and pre problem Glocks.
    If affordable have 3, Carry, practice, spare. Also when evils friends show up and pistol is in the evidence locker, I want a tested spare.

If I were vetting a system I had less experience with, I might test more.
    Last edited by 1slow; 03-10-2018 at 11:23 PM.

Once you've put your duty gun through it's paces and your confident it works, the less you mess with it the better.

If you have a range/dry fire gun you won't be putting unnecessary wear and tear on your duty gun with practice, you won't be screwing up your duty ammo cycling it, and you reduce the risk of an ND or empty duty gun from dry fire practice.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Yes to the above.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Yes. I bought a retiree's gun. Other than 4 digits of s/n, it's exactly the same.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List