Thread: Excellent article on the corrupt Baltimore gun task force

Excellent article on the corrupt Baltimore gun task force

Reminder: this is the LE forum, not the Cop Watch forum. Cops caught these guys. Policing is regional and Baltimore is corrupt as hell.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/...become_robbers
    #RESIST

I have limited experience in this arena. Once was when I found out that a detective assigned to my unit and who had been a guest in my home was actually in bed with local narcotics trafficking operations. (I had no involvement in his investigation nor arrest other than a feeling of immense disappointment.)

The one detective I actually did arrest in connection with his long term participation in a major international narcotics smuggling operation was a bad guy on many levels.

When Miami-Dade police learned that I was up on this particular detective, their OPR, (Office of Professional Responsibility / Internal Affairs), approached me to ask if they could join my investigation. They filled me in on the various home invasions and other violent crimes he and his crew were involved in and told me that they had been trying to nail him for a long time. There were some very hard feelings there.

Long story short, I eventually arrested him on a back road in the middle of the night as he came off shift and headed home. He thought he was smarter than us but he made one slip up during my interrogation and that ultimately led to his conviction at trial and a 40 year sentence.

At trial he had the balls to walk up to me on a veranda outside the courtroom where I was smoking a cigarette and tell me "you'll never convict me".

I told him that I'd take that bet, I'd never lost a case I brought to trial and wasn't going to start with a piece of garbage like him.

Bad cops are a cancer and tarnish the badge of all good LE. Even retired it still pains me every time I read of such instances.
    Last edited by blues; 04-04-2018 at 08:38 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more, not less of this type of stuff. Unfortunately with a lot of police administrators have backed themselves into a corner when it comes to reducing crime in the current de-policing environment. Good cops aren't working, and even when they are it's a slow and methodical process. It's like a large ship, it takes a long time to get up to speed and even when things come to a stop, the residual effects can last for a while. Thsoe residual effects are completely wearing off, with increasing crime, lower hiring standards and a administrators jobs depending on the ability to produce quick results, it'll will be a repeat of history with corrupt cops in small units getting a carte blanche, from the department as long as they produce results.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Site Supporter
    I skimmed the article; I’m not surprised by the conduct but I am ashamed that police officers would dishonor the profession. I wonder why American newspaper can’t publish articles like these.

User Tag List