Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical Performance Center, Handgun Mastery class

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    In for the three day class that comes close ish to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    Torn between this and one of Ben Stoeger’s classes for this year. Anybody have a sense of which might be better for a newer shooter?
    Having done both, no question the TPC is the first class to go to for a newer shooter. If you gonna come to Ben's class with grip and stance issues, he will definitely correct that but I don't think this the best use of your time and money. I think it is better to have solid foundations, have him confirm that you got it, and then have him call your errors than use 7 time Natl champ to instruct you on basics of stance and grip.

Another benefit is that TPC's take, especially on grip, is different from Ben's, or at least unique in some ways, without being visibly different. Would be nice to get TPC grip down and then receive an independent validation from Ben that you are controlling the gun alright, wouldn't it?
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Concur, this is how I’ll do it - see Ben when I’m further along, get training on earlier stuff first. I still have Ben’s books to work from too on my own time.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Having done both, no question the TPC is the first class to go to for a newer shooter. If you gonna come to Ben's class with grip and stance issues, he will definitely correct that but I don't think this the best use of your time and money. I think it is better to have solid foundations, have him confirm that you got it, and then have him call your errors than use 7 time Natl champ to instruct you on basics of stance and grip.

Another benefit is that TPC's take, especially on grip, is different from Ben's, or at least unique in some ways, without being visibly different. Would be nice to get TPC grip down and then receive an independent validation from Ben that you are controlling the gun alright, wouldn't it?

Finally remembered to shoot the TPC24 test. Ran a 14.61 HF clean with 2.68, 2.68, and 2.85 strings. My time to first shot was generally .8 which was odd for me. Not used to doing things from high ready, so definitely need to work on that. Splits were avg around .25 and could have pushed speed a bit more there.

USP9c v7 LEM
    Aguila 147
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I look forward to your AARs.

Now that I've cancelled out of Tac Con (sad face) due to work (over) commitments, I'm interested long term in other options. I have my Gabe class next month but other than monthly USPSA matches, and occasional local gun range trips, I don't have any training set up.
    Steve Anderson mentioned on a recent podcast that he has some openings for an one day class in Tampa on April Fools Day. "You will definitely do a dry fire tune up and for sure understand "match mode.""

I would check several episodes of his podcast before committing to a class. It may take a bit to jive with his style. See if his style is right for you. He's not focused on technique like TPC, but he is big on the mental game of shooting, which is what I'm into right now. If you like what you see, pick up his Refinement and Repetition book (dry fire program) and start running drills 1-12.

That's what I'm working right now and I think I'm making significant gains.

Anyway, check out That Shooting Show podcast or one of the several episodes he did on The Firearms Nation podcast with Arik Levy. It may be a good option for you.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Steve Anderson mentioned on a recent podcast that he has some openings for an one day class in Tampa on April Fools Day. "You will definitely do a dry fire tune up and for sure understand "match mode.""

I would check several episodes of his podcast before committing to a class. It may take a bit to jive with his style. See if his style is right for you. He's not focused on technique like TPC, but he is big on the mental game of shooting, which is what I'm into right now. If you like what you see, pick up his Refinement and Repetition book (dry fire program) and start running drills 1-12.

That's what I'm working right now and I think I'm making significant gains.

Anyway, check out That Shooting Show podcast or one of the several episodes he did on The Firearms Nation podcast with Arik Levy. It may be a good option for you.
    His Refinement and Repetition has been excellent for me and I’ve also seen immediate improvements. He definitely has a unique style but once he gets to his points/message it really good imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    His Refinement and Repetition has been excellent for me and I’ve also seen immediate improvements. He definitely has a unique style but once he gets to his points/message it really good imo.
    FYI. He's coming to DFW around Easter.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    FYI. He's coming to DFW around Easter.
    Oh man, I don’t think I can swing it. As much as I would love to take his class, already signed up with Ben Stoeger in April and doing the TPC completion super camp later this year. That’s going to exceed my $ quota for the year.

When and where is he coming to DFW? Any details you can share?

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not going to try to list every technique and every drill from day one, but I am going to mention one concept that was brilliant and completely unknown to me. This is the “quarter panel” technique. Ken demos how you can place your hand flat on a table, push out, and your hand slides away from you. Repeat the same thing, but put the tiniest bit of your palm on the edge of the table, and it anchors you and prevents sliding. Not surprisingly, TPC has you place the tiniest bit of your support hand behind the grip of the pistol, to anchor your support hand. It takes some adjustment, but it is an incredibly effective part of their technique.
    So I did some playing around with this, thanks for posting it up. Watched the Seeklander vid posted early in the thread too. It's pretty clear in concept. But in a manner of speaking, there's no 'effing way I can get my weak hand palm on the back strap. I guess I have paws that are just too friggin big though I was never able to palm a basketball when I played, so maybe not so abnormal afterall.

With the 1911, M&P, and P30 platforms it's a no-go. My strong hand fingers after wrapped are just too damned thick and I've always had trouble "getting to" the support side grip with my support palm. This is why I run the Hogue grip sleeve/backstrap thing on my M&Ps, it's somewhat of a sleeve and at least I can get some contact with it due to it's thickness. However, with a slight adjustment this method does help me at least do get on the support side grip a little better so it's a bit of improvement.

The only Glock I have is a 17.3 and it's a complete train wreck with it's grip angle and flat sides. It goes from no contact near the top to the opposite extreme down by the mag well in that I don't have enough hand to get around it (sticks out too far due to their goofy grip angle). I'm going to throw a grip adapter on it to see if it helps even the angle out any.

If there are any other suggestions short of appendage reduction surgery I'm all ears!
    Last edited by Spartan1980; 03-14-2019 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    Oh man, I don’t think I can swing it. As much as I would love to take his class, already signed up with Ben Stoeger in April and doing the TPC completion super camp later this year. That’s going to exceed my $ quota for the year.

When and where is he coming to DFW? Any details you can share?
    The April 20/21 class sold out and apparently there were enough on the standby list to justify a second class. He announced it on the last couple episodes, I'm pretty sure he said Wed/Thur prior (17/18). It's NE of Plano area in Whitewright, IIRC.

This is turning out to be a busy year for the DFW area.
    David S.

User Tag List