Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical Performance Center, Handgun Mastery class

Adult learning is an interesting thing. Different people learn in different ways, at different times, and with different levels of absorption. For this reason, I would not recommend just one approach, as long as you are using common sense.

I get a fair amount of training, outside shooting, because of the different aircraft I stay current in. I have worked hard at trying to keep an open mind to pull the best out of each instructor and each training experience. That is something I have gotten better at over the years. Sometimes I am amazed at what others attending the same class as me take away from it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I am going to bring this one back up to add my 2 cents. I took the Handgun Mastery last weekend, owing to a buddy pass from GJM - thank you, bud. George's description of this class on first pages is more extensive than I'd ever care to write so head back there for refreshment on details. I would point out that TPC class has had a highest level of granularity on grip and stance that I've ever heard. Their grip thing is different from most conventionally taught stuff in some aspects, partly covered by GJM above. Their theory gets backed up when a 14 year girl pulls a gun and shoots the TPC 24 in front of a class, cold, with a 16 HF using those techniques and principles. Surprisingly, I found the stance part more interesting and challenging to me although I do tend to overthink stuff so maybe that just me. It didn't sound like anything new in description until I started to think about small specific bits and kinesthesis and such. However, I found that part and issues of isolation of tension be very continuous in principle with my most important lesson from Stoeger that I've worked on since that class. I found that cross-talk very significant, and came to conclusion that I probably would benefit from smoking some weed before shooting important stages and matches.
    A point to conclude on: I didn't think that a quarter panel technique was a big deal. GJM might disagree. These class reports are as helpful in waking up readers' curiosity as they are useless in conveying what was the key part, the cool shit, and the new trick. This is just a joint in the Southern Utah that almost under the radar has been quietly producing quality shooters with some stuff one might consider proprietary of semi-proprietary, technical quality being defined in the USPSA metrics, and with an intended audience of anyone who has a handgun and understood what I wrote.
    Last edited by YVK; 03-11-2019 at 08:53 PM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Good review!

For shooting polymer pistols, my wife and I believe quarter panel technique is a game changer for recoil and trigger control.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Good review!

For shooting polymer pistols, my wife and I believe quarter panel technique is a game changer for recoil and trigger control.
    When shooting Glocks, do you and your wife apply some skateboard tape at the quarter panel where your support hand is?

Quote Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
    When shooting Glocks, do you and your wife apply some skateboard tape at the quarter panel where your support hand is?
    Won’t stick for us, so we use chalk on our support hand.

Clean runs, with .5 first hit, followed by .3 splits would be the general breakdown for a great run, correct?
    Taking a break from social media.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I just wanted to say thanks to this thread, I found out who this outfit is, and that they’re coming within 350 miles of me later this year. I will try to sign up for the class.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapid Butterfly View Post
    I just wanted to say thanks to this thread, I found out who this outfit is, and that they’re coming within 350 miles of me later this year. I will try to sign up for the class.
    They do grip and stance better than anyone I know. This is particularly important for women, who often have less mass and strength than men. My wife learned a ton there, and Justine and Jalise Williams are poster kids, literally, for their methods.

@GJM It's too bad they're so western-centric. After reading your write up it's the class I need right now in my development.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    @GJM It's too bad they're so western-centric. After reading your write up it's the class I need right now in my development.
    Agreed Alpha, if only they were somewhat closer to Tejas I’d be in.

User Tag List