Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical Performance Center, Handgun Mastery class

Tactical Performance Center, Handgun Mastery class

I added a little more grip to the support side of my Lok Bogies grip

Before:

After:
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 04-19-2018 at 02:45 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

I put some grip info and pictures here:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....4-TPC-24/page2
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

My wife and I are back at TPC repeating Handgun Mastery this weekend. The plan was to meet up with our decades long friend, SteveB, but unfortunately he injured himself and was unable to attend.

I have become such a believer in the TPC system. If you are willing to learn the system, and burn it in with dry and live fire, I believe it provides an excellent technical shooting foundation for controlling recoil, making the gun return predictably, and lock the gun up so as to help with trigger control.

Repeating the class after a month is helping us to “polish the apple,” in terms of refining what we first learned at TPC. I am seeing many examples of other shooters that have improved significantly after TPC, so it is not just my wife and I.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My wife and I are back at TPC repeating Handgun Mastery this weekend. The plan was to meet up with our decades long friend, SteveB, but unfortunately he injured himself and was unable to attend.

I have become such a believer in the TPC system. If you are willing to learn the system, and burn it in with dry and live fire, I believe it provides an excellent technical shooting foundation for controlling recoil, making the gun return predictably, and lock the gun up so as to help with trigger control.

Repeating the class after a month is helping us to “polish the apple,” in terms of refining what we first learned at TPC. I am seeing many examples of other shooters that have improved significantly after TPC, so it is not just my wife and I.
    That is a great recommendation especially considering the many different schools you have been to over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post

GJM,

Great thread. I have wanted to train with Ron since checking out his VHS tapes from the FLETC library. This just makes me want to train with him (or Ken) even more.

Serious question follows.

I see you have trained with Leatham, Langdon, Bragg and JJ, and maybe others. And now TPC. (I don't know how spread out those classes were.)

I don't know your USPSA classification, but i take it it isn't GM.

Could it be counterproductive to train with so many different instructors? I just wonder if each instructor, with his little tweaks and different methodologies, is a hindrance as you have to learn a new way each time. A pro golfer wouldn't jump from swing coach to swing coach unless something was wrong.

Surely with semi-private instruction from TGO or Bragg, you have enough knowledge to take you to GM if you just put in the practice and do what they taught you.

Yes, maybe TPC does have it figured out and has the best grip and the best method of teaching, but not using the TPC method hasn't held back JJ and the others.

Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Thanks,
    D
    Last edited by BigD; 06-23-2018 at 12:11 AM.

Interesting topic, which I don’t have time to fully respond to, as I am headed to a match in a minute.

My goal is to get some instruction each year, to go along with my practice and competition. I have learned something different from each of these instructors, and found it to be complimentary not counterproductive. For example, this year JJ really helped me with movement and TPC addressed some opportunities with my grip and stance. Outside instruction has also allowed me to help my wife, and maybe even some others.

This year, my focus has been on improving my match performance, as opposed to the pure stand and shoot skills measured in classifiers. My interest is in developing wide shooting skills and making it a life long pursuit.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post

Surely with semi-private instruction from TGO or Bragg, you have enough knowledge to take you to GM if you just put in the practice and do what they taught you.
    Nope, not really. I had a pleasure to share a semi-private instruction from JJ and TGO with GJM, and I did a full private day with Manny. You generally work on a specific issues that you feel are most important to you or you feel like this instructor is the best for. You rarely get an all inclusive instruction.

Your point is well taken; many have gotten to GM level without taking any instructions at all, and one might find that extra practice pays off better than extra class. GJM is strongly advising for me to take a TPC in September and I might not, for a number of reasons. That doesn't mean that I don't think I wouldn't benefit though if I took it, but it may not be time effective for me right now.

Another important consideration for me is an aspect of age. I am about to hit 50 and I am just a B class. I've limited time to practice as my professional career is at its peak, and I don't have a lot of time left before age or health start becoming a hindrance to my shooting skills growth. Taking classes serves a purpose of pros picking up and pointing stuff that might take me too much time to figure out myself.
    Last edited by YVK; 06-23-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Nope, not really. I had a pleasure to share a semi-private instruction from JJ and TGO with GJM, and I did a full private day with Manny. You generally work on a specific issues that you feel are most important to you or you feel like this instructor is the best for. You rarely get an all inclusive instruction.

Your point is well taken; many have gotten to GM level without taking any instructions at all, and one might find that extra practice pays off better than extra class. GJM is strongly advising for me to take a TPC in September and I might not, for a number of reasons. That doesn't mean that I don't think I wouldn't benefit though if I took it, but it may not be time effective for me right now.

Another important consideration for me is an aspect of age. I am about to hit 50 and I am just a B class. I've limited time to practice as my professional career is at its peak, and I don't have a lot of time left before age or health start becoming a hindrance to my shooting skills growth. Taking classes serves a purpose of pros picking up and pointing stuff that might take me too much time to figure out myself.
    This. 53, made my A Class, at 82% and hunting my M Class.

Yes, I have more resources, but time is a hard-earned luxury and getting better simply takes more work as you get older.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post

Point taken about the semi-private classes. I've always taken group classes that tried to hit everything from grip to draw to sight picture to trigger press to movement, etc.

Just to clarify (or belabor) my point - It's not as if I'm saying don't train. I'm just wondering out loud if taken classes from a different trainers - who are going to have different approaches, methodologies, and techniques - is the way to go. Stoeger's grip is different from Sevigny's which is different from Vogel's. Should you take a class from all three and find out which grip works best for you, or should you pick one and stick with it and not waste time and effort experimenting with the other 2 grips?

I don't know the answer to that one but GJM's experience would point to the latter. He's surely had instruction on the grip before taking a TPC class, but seems to have found a better grip with TPC.

I don't know the full history, but as I understand it Dave Sevigny was a student of Scott Warren and worked more or less exclusively with him. Would he have had gotten so good so quickly if he had taken a class from Voigt, one from Angus, a couple from TGO, etc?

This might be a round about way of pointing out that perhaps training with TPC for multiple classes is ideal, as they seem to have standardized instruction (if they have that many AIs I'm guessing Ron and Ken make sure they are all on the same page) at all levels to let you reach your potential.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Last edited by BigD; 06-23-2018 at 01:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigD View Post

Just to clarify (or belabor) my point - It's not as if I'm saying don't train. I'm just wondering out loud if taken classes from a different trainers - who are going to have different approaches, methodologies, and techniques - is the way to go. Stoeger's grip is different from Sevigny's which is different from Vogel's. Should you take a class from all three and find out which grip works best for you, or should you pick one and stick with it and not waste time and effort experimenting with the other 2 grips?
    A very fine point. I think it might become confusing. As an example, reloads are a bane of my existence and advice that I got from JJ is different from what Ben told me. I totally can relate.

The contrary, positive thing is that by training with a variety, you reaffirm some points that turn out to be universal. Those might be basic ones like gripping hard, or some subtler things that may not be apparent but when you realize that every top dog is doing it, you start paying attention to that in your own game.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List