Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical Performance Center, Handgun Mastery class

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I was trying to avoid a detailed technique description, because my words won’t do justice to what they teach. With that caveat, they start with a C clamp with the strong hand, strong hand finger tips loose, and maximal pressure set at contact in the holster (setting maximal pressure helps isolate the trigger and avoid sympathetic movement with ring and index finger). Support hand in quarter panel, then “nutcracker” tension from the base of both palms coming together, and finally the base of both hands wedging inward (their thought is power comes from base of the thumbs, not tips).

When we arrived at TPC, something my wife struggled with, was her split times increasing on shots five and six of a Bill drill. The reason is she was using muscle and not skeleton to control recoil, and recoil would eventually overpower her strength in an extended shot string. TPC completely fixed this, and on last run on the TPC 24, she shot a 15.67 hit factor test, indicating phenomenal recoil control. TPC uses your skeletal structure and not muscle to control recoil.

Enel, I shot a Walther Q5 during the course, and carried a P99. I broke the DP Pro on my Q5 number one and two pistols, and shot much of the course with an iron sighted Q5, which fortunately I had along.

I would have to try the grip sleeve, but I like the quarter panel technique combined with the other grip elements I described in paragraph one of this post.
    Look familiar??

Name:  IMAG1268R.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  37.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by mark7 View Post
    Look familiar??

Name:  IMAG1268R.jpg
Views: 1245
Size:  37.6 KB
    What does minimize leverage mean in this context? I have a guess but figured it's worth asking.

Are the 5 points of tension grip, wrists, elbows, then the lower body?

Quote Originally Posted by scw2 View Post
    What does minimize leverage mean in this context? I have a guess but figured it's worth asking.

Are the 5 points of tension grip, wrists, elbows, then the lower body?
    Minimizing leverage is to reduce muzzle flip. The five points of tension are your grip, two wrists and two elbows.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

GJM, thanks for sharing your thoughts and observations on Mr. Avery and Mr. Nelson's grip technique. Serendipitous - Ive been consumed by grip technique these last few weeks, and the notion of quarter panel technique crystallizes what was at best vague for me. Both Seeklander and Mike Hughes (who mentions Seeklander when discussing grip) allude to the quarter panel, and Leatham mentions pinching the base of the thumbs where they meet - the quarter panel!

One question - what are you doing with your strong hand thumb? Is it angled outward , permitting the base of the thumbs to pinch? That's what it appears to be in the pictures that you posted, just want to be sure.....of cpurse, more pics would be great

Quote Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
    Is it angled outward , permitting the base of the thumbs to pinch? That's what it appears to be in the pictures that you posted, just want to be sure.....of cpurse, more pics would be great
    Or more precisely phrased, is your strong hand thumb angled outwards and wrapping around the base of your support thumb, or is your strong hand thumb pointing forward while it is resting atop your support thumb?

deleted
    Last edited by gomerpyle; 04-08-2018 at 11:48 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
    Or more precisely phrased, is your strong hand thumb angled outwards and wrapping around the base of your support thumb, or is your strong hand thumb pointing forward while it is resting atop your support thumb?
    While not GLM, I've been exposed to Ron's method through several classes. The strong hand thumb can be dealt with a few ways, but it's important to remember that no matter the method you should avoid any pressure (strong tension) with the strong side thumb. Pressure/tension will push the support hand grip off the pistol during recoil. Having said that, your strong side thumb can:

- rest neutral atop you support thumb pointed towards the target

- find the natural notch on your support side wrist where your thumb bone meets the wrist (my preferred method)

Name:  IMAG1272.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  28.5 KB

Many thanks! Too late to hit the range today, sounds like I'lll try this tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by mark7 View Post
    While not GLM, I've been exposed to Ron's method through several classes. The strong hand thumb can be dealt with a few ways, but it's important to remember that no matter the method you should avoid any pressure (strong tension) with the strong side thumb. Pressure/tension will push the support hand grip off the pistol during recoil. Having said that, your strong side thumb can:

- rest neutral atop you support thumb pointed towards the target

- find the natural notch on your support side wrist where your thumb bone meets the wrist (my preferred method)

Name:  IMAG1272.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  28.5 KB

@GJM, I’ve been messing around with the quarter panel idea in dry fire over the past two days. It seems that once I establish my strong hand grip, the only way to get any of my support hand behind the gun, and not just on the side, is to open my strong hand to get the meat at the base of my thumb out of the way. I don’t like breaking my strong hand grip because I’m worried I might drop the gun under stress. Maybe it’s just the size of my hands, but I can’t figure out how to get any of my support hand on the backstrap without having to undo my strong hand master grip.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I can’t figure out how to get any of my support hand on the backstrap without having to undo my strong hand master grip.
    I went to the range Friday with this thread in mind, and I'm having this same problem. I'll experiment with dry fire this week and try again on Thursday or Friday.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

User Tag List