Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical Performance Center, Handgun Mastery class

I was trying to avoid a detailed technique description, because my words won’t do justice to what they teach. With that caveat, they start with a C clamp with the strong hand, strong hand finger tips loose, and maximal pressure set at contact in the holster (setting maximal pressure helps isolate the trigger and avoid sympathetic movement with ring and index finger). Support hand in quarter panel, then “nutcracker” tension from the base of both palms coming together, and finally the base of both hands wedging inward (their thought is power comes from base of the thumbs, not tips).

When we arrived at TPC, something my wife struggled with, was her split times increasing on shots five and six of a Bill drill. The reason is she was using muscle and not skeleton to control recoil, and recoil would eventually overpower her strength in an extended shot string. TPC completely fixed this, and on last run on the TPC 24, she shot a 15.67 hit factor test, indicating phenomenal recoil control. TPC uses your skeletal structure and not muscle to control recoil.

Enel, I shot a Walther Q5 during the course, and carried a P99. I broke the DP Pro on my Q5 number one and two pistols, and shot much of the course with an iron sighted Q5, which fortunately I had along.

I would have to try the grip sleeve, but I like the quarter panel technique combined with the other grip elements I described in paragraph one of this post.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Seeklander teaches something similar and it is one reason I prefer larger grips or grip panels.
    A rounded grip panel like the Walther makes it harder to get behind the quarter panel than for example a Glock. I added skate board tape after I got home from the class to help with the Walters.

Im gonna check there schedule out!!

And from what you have said I believe what they are saying about grip is very very similar to what I say about it so that's so cool!!!
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Great report GJM, thanks for sharing!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Site Supporter
    GJM, interested in why you shot the Walthers as I thought you were using G34.5s lately? Thanks for posting.

Had about 10 min of free time yesterday and tried to execute a quarter grip thing in dry fire. Was getting a fair amount of discomfort in support shoulder joint. It's been achy a little lately, I think mild bicipital tendinitis from working out, but it was strange how uncomfortable it felt. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Had about 10 min of free time yesterday and tried to execute a quarter grip thing in dry fire. Was getting a fair amount of discomfort in support shoulder joint. It's been achy a little lately, I think mild bicipital tendinitis from working out, but it was strange how uncomfortable it felt. Go figure.
    You want tension in your grip, wrists and elbows, but then quiet from elbows all the way to your knees. It is common to overextend your arms creating tension in your shoulders. A way to set your arms, is with no gun, bend over and let your arms hang naturally with your palms together. From that position, bring your arms up to a shooting position, and that is what you want.

I enjoy the Q5 and G34.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    You want tension in your grip, wrists and elbows, but then quiet from elbows all the way to your knees.
    Yup, that is a very long standing thing from Ron. Taadski mentioned that to me during our Rogers trip.

I think I need to let my shoulder cool off. Maybe trying something new when things are inflamed isn't the best way to go.

Browsing his YT channel, I found his comments on “sticky hands” interesting. I’m not sure I fully understand it, but I’m definitely going to play with the concept.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    I wonder if that's why a G21 is just so much easier for me to shoot than a 1911....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List