Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical Performance Center, Handgun Mastery class

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    @GJM, I’ve been messing around with the quarter panel idea in dry fire over the past two days. It seems that once I establish my strong hand grip, the only way to get any of my support hand behind the gun, and not just on the side, is to open my strong hand to get the meat at the base of my thumb out of the way. I don’t like breaking my strong hand grip because I’m worried I might drop the gun under stress. Maybe it’s just the size of my hands, but I can’t figure out how to get any of my support hand on the backstrap without having to undo my strong hand master grip.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    You set maximum pressure C clamping the front strap as the pistol comes out of the holster, with the strong thumb up to allow the quarter panel and a high left support hand to minimize leverage. TPC folks might shoot one hand with the thumb up, driving up against the beavertail area, in this exact same position, so it is quite strong.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    @GJM, I’ve been messing around with the quarter panel idea in dry fire over the past two days. It seems that once I establish my strong hand grip, the only way to get any of my support hand behind the gun, and not just on the side, is to open my strong hand to get the meat at the base of my thumb out of the way. I don’t like breaking my strong hand grip because I’m worried I might drop the gun under stress. Maybe it’s just the size of my hands, but I can’t figure out how to get any of my support hand on the backstrap without having to undo my strong hand master grip.
    This is the exact same concept that I'm struggling with. 2D pics just don't seem to do it justice and I feel it would only take 5 minutes of in person instruction to figure it out.

I emailed TPC about how to apply this to ergo grips like the H&K P30 and got this reply a few hours later.

David,

I’m always looking to have the backstop be the largest your hands can fit and still reach the trigger for a straight pull.

This technique is an optimization. Connectivity can be met by keeping the back of the hands soft (pliable - which usually means not tensing the thumbs). And the strong hand finger tips can also be used to be on the “back” of something. I’ll try to make a video on that in the near term, in there interim if you google Shannon Smith “grip” he has a video that covers it as well.

What I’ve found with most students that say they can’t or don’t have room is that they aren’t making room with their strong hand thumb, they are gripping it low or not getting it out of the way. That may be another video as well! In some cases, with gloves on or with really big paws there just isn’t room, but that usually isn’t a problem because big hands have lots of other places with friction to help hold on. They key is to maximize it with bio-mechanics that we teach like nut cracker leverage (very easy to do using skeleton but much stronger than you can do with hand muscles front to back pressure) and clam shell pressure (side to side slight pressure). I believe we have videos on these.

Regards,

Ken N.
    I'm headed to the range to play with this. I'm looking forward to messing around with the TPC 75 rd drill.
    David S.

Many thanks for sharing this

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    This is the exact same concept that I'm struggling with. 2D pics just don't seem to do it justice and I feel it would only take 5 minutes of in person instruction to figure it out.

I emailed TPC about how to apply this to ergo grips like the H&K P30 and got this reply a few hours later.

I'm headed to the range to play with this. I'm looking forward to messing around with the TPC 75 rd drill.

Thanks for posting your review. Sounds like a great class for me to take, but when I clicked on his Class Schedule nothing happened. Still I can try some of this on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary1911A1 View Post
    Thanks for posting your review. Sounds like a great class for me to take, but when I clicked on his Class Schedule nothing happened. Still I can try some of this on my own.
    Calendar is here:

https://www.tacticalperformancecente...atapp/calendar

With the normal caveats that I am not TPC, words mean different things to different people, and the internet misses the physical component of touch for describing things, here are some pictures I took just now to try to show more.

Name:  47415A7D-D874-44A0-AD0C-71B0EEB3CEE6.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  47415A7D-D874-44A0-AD0C-71B0EEB3CEE6.jpg
Views: 1247
Size:  39.3 KB

Name:  2625CF0D-F65F-4DF8-851E-453B1F8C5123.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  33.1 KB

GJM,

Thanks for the stellar review, pics and discussion. I'm not a long time member but this is one of the best grip discussions I've read on P-F.
    TPC sure sent a nice, courteous description to David S - that gesture shows how stand up an organization they just might be and probably are.
    I might get to train there in May, if Iam lucky enough. Fingers crossed.
    KT

This is Seeklander’s video on this, he gets into the weak hand grip at around the 3:50 mark.

https://youtu.be/Xl1urjYlsZM

Quote Originally Posted by KneeShot View Post
    GJM,

Thanks for the stellar review, pics and discussion. I'm not a long time member but this is one of the best grip discussions I've read on P-F.
    TPC sure sent a nice, courteous description to David S - that gesture shows how stand up an organization they just might be and probably are.
    I might get to train there in May, if Iam lucky enough. Fingers crossed.
    KT
    Shooting my CO pistol yesterday, it was so obvious watching how the dot moved in recoil, that the difference between their grip and what I used to do was night and day different in controlling recoil. Our friend, SteveB is coming out from FL to take Handgun Mastery the first week of May, and my wife and I are doing the course again with him. I am also doing Carbine Mastery the last week of April, and can’t wait for that. Two of the instructors for that course are Brian Nelson, Ken’s son and a great all around shooter, and Max Leograndis, USPSA PCC national champion.

TPC offers what they call a VIP option, where you pay $2,000 individually or $3,000 for a family, and you can do unlimited training over 13 months. Since they credit the cost of the first course, it is very attractive.

I didn't get to shoot the 75 round drill because I was fighting with some newly installed sights. But the TPC grip does seem to keep my hand anchored to the gun a bit better than what I'd been doing before. It's a bit awkward at this point and will take a ton of dry practice.

I'm going to try to make it out to one of their classes in the next year or two.
    Last edited by David S.; 04-10-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    David S.

Site Supporter
    Crap, I shouldn't have read this thread. Now I am going to the carbine class on the 27th. Who knows how much this whole thing will end up costing me.

User Tag List