Thread: AAR: John Hearne’s “Are you paranoid enough?” Webinar, 28 Dec 2022

AAR: John Hearne’s “Are you paranoid enough?” Webinar, 28 Dec 2022

Executive Summary: This webinar was 2.5 hours jam packed with useful information that enables informed decisions regarding personal security and self-defense. The presentation was polished, professional and did not encounter any technical hiccups. This was $22.85 and time very well spent.

Details, details!

John Hearne’s biography and CV are available on his website . His demonstrated skills, professional experience and uber nerd drive to acquire and process data are leavened with his affable demeanor and matter-of-fact approach. With this class, which I believe is foundational to the remainder of his curriculum, he is providing the intellectual basis and understanding for the sorts of criminal activity citizens need to prepare to defend against.

To ask the question…

A question is asked in the title of the webinar, and for most Americans the answer is a definitive “no.” They are blithely going through their lives in ignorance and while they may be carrying a gun, they are not armed with a critical understanding of what the odds of encountering criminal violence really are. “Crime is what happens to other people because XXX” is the usual mental state propelled by normalcy bias. Even my cynicism of government was challenged by the undeniable facts presented in this class. John makes the definitive case that crime stats are skewed by both methodology and agenda. He was buttressed by a guest appearance by Lee Weems, a long serving law enforcement officer in Georgia and instructor. (Look at his schedule at https://firstpersonsafety.com) Earlier in his career Lee had the unenviable task of tabulating the crime that took place in his jurisdiction. The manner in which crime is reported can easily shade the big-picture result, and even well-meaning differences in approach can result in a warped view of the frequency and severity of certain crimes. Elections are won and lost by these numbers, so there is a natural human tendency to make things look good. Extrapolate this reality of politics from a sheriff’s office in Georgia to agencies across the country, and then factor in that many major departments don’t contribute to the FBI’s crime statistics and a very grave picture appears. It isn’t paranoia if they really are out to get you.

Varieties of Violence
    John’s extensive research expands upon the work performed by the late William Aprill in exploring criminal motivations and modalities. He also draws heavily on other noted scholars of criminal activity. Rest assured that he attributes frequently and that his work is far more than the sum of his sources. You'll be both impressed and depressed.

Tips to mitigate risk and enhance security
    Interspersed through the presentation are very useful tips on a variety of topics. That “gun safe” you bought? Well, it may very well be a gun cabinet. And the way you position and secure the safe in your home can greatly enhance, or reduce, its effectiveness. His advice here alone is worth the course price.

Without a hitch
    I have attended many webinars which were undercut by technical difficulties/ineptitude. This was thanks to the involvement of the inestimable Tiffany Johnson who in additional to being chief electron wrangler also functioned as a very effective MC. More of her work can be found at https://citizenssafety.com.

Bottom Line:
    This class, as well as John’s other work, is well worth your time. As a result of his constant study, this webinar will probably be worth taking every two years or so as the situation shifts constantly. You can still purchase access by emailing him at info@twopillarstraining.com

See you on the range!

John

Full Disclosure: I am affiliated with John through our work as Rangemaster instructors. I paid for this seminar and if he were messed up, I would have said so in excruciating detail.

Great points, John.

I "purchased" the webinar after the fact and watched it today. FYI it looks like it will only be available until the end of the month, and is not downloadable.

For people looking for a broader summary, this presentation is continuation/addition/piggybacking off of William Aprill's stuff, so it's highly recommended. (I was wondering if someone was going to continue Aprill's work; now I have an answer.)
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

FYI, I'm pushing back the availability date of the webinar. I'll be cutting off access 30 days after the last ticket is sold.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Quote Originally Posted by John Hearne View Post
    FYI, I'm pushing back the availability date of the webinar. I'll be cutting off access 30 days after the last ticket is sold.
    Thank you. I had join in 30 min late, so this is useful to me. Second time through, btw.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List