Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Performance Center, Handgun Mastery class

Spartan, TPC doesn't really tell you to put your support hand on backstrap. They just want you to get around the corner, so to speak, just a little, whatever you can. As I said, I didn't perceive that to be their cardinal message, they spent a lot less emphasis on it than on C-clamp, nutcracker and elbow rotation part in my class.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Deleted
    Last edited by Dismas316; 03-15-2019 at 07:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    The April 20/21 class sold out and apparently there were enough on the standby list to justify a second class. He announced it on the last couple episodes, I'm pretty sure he said Wed/Thur prior (17/18). It's NE of Plano area in Whitewright, IIRC.

This is turning out to be a busy year for the DFW area.
    I listen to his podcast and haven’t heard that. I guess that’ll teach me to not fast forward in the beginning to get to his content,lol. Yeah Stoegers class is the same place. Actually a pretty good range, twice a month on Sundays, they will have a steel match along with a USPSA match that are pretty good. It’s a good hour drive for me but there pretty fun and challenging, you should come out. It’s put on through Collin County IDPA club which you can find there schedule here. I haven’t done any IDPA matches but like their USPSA and steel matches. https://www.ccidpa.org/#MATCH_SCHED

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Spartan, TPC doesn't really tell you to put your support hand on backstrap. They just want you to get around the corner, so to speak, just a little, whatever you can. As I said, I didn't perceive that to be their cardinal message, they spent a lot less emphasis on it than on C-clamp, nutcracker and elbow rotation part in my class.

I think that is the key to the grip - thinking of the grip as a nutcracker. the quarter panel and friction that it provides to me at least is an additional benefit of learning how to crack the nutcracker with your two handed grip....

though i am interested in what you have to say about the elbow rotation!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    So I did some playing around with this, thanks for posting it up. Watched the Seeklander vid posted early in the thread too. It's pretty clear in concept. But in a manner of speaking, there's no 'effing way I can get my weak hand palm on the back strap. I guess I have paws that are just too friggin big though I was never able to palm a basketball when I played, so maybe not so abnormal afterall.

With the 1911, M&P, and P30 platforms it's a no-go. My strong hand fingers after wrapped are just too damned thick and I've always had trouble "getting to" the support side grip with my support palm. This is why I run the Hogue grip sleeve/backstrap thing on my M&Ps, it's somewhat of a sleeve and at least I can get some contact with it due to it's thickness. However, with a slight adjustment this method does help me at least do get on the support side grip a little better so it's a bit of improvement.

The only Glock I have is a 17.3 and it's a complete train wreck with it's grip angle and flat sides. It goes from no contact near the top to the opposite extreme down by the mag well in that I don't have enough hand to get around it (sticks out too far due to their goofy grip angle). I'm going to throw a grip adapter on it to see if it helps even the angle out any.

If there are any other suggestions short of appendage reduction surgery I'm all ears!
    i assume you are doing this already but just in case you are not, are you flagging your strong hand thumb to permit your support hand room to catch the quarter panel? And I mean Fonzie high flagging of the thumb!

Name:  fonzie.jpg
Views: 1351
Size:  12.0 KB
    Last edited by gomerpyle; 03-15-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post
    i assume you are doing this already but just in case you are not, are you flagging your strong hand thumb to permit your support hand room to catch the quarter panel? And I mean Fonzi high flagging of the thumb!
    This is key to quarter panel.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I also saw a vid on the TPC facey space page that had Ken discussing alternatives to quarter panel for smaller weapons where support palm on backstrap isn’t an option. I’m trying to practice both depending on 92 versus px4c, looking forward to actually working with them on it in person.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    This is key to quarter panel.

Quote Originally Posted by gomerpyle View Post

though i am interested in what you have to say about the elbow rotation!
    They simply mentioned outward elbows rotation as a means of increasing clamping / nutcracking pressure on the gun. Didn't say it was necessary for everyone, just mentioned that as an individual choice option.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Tactical Performance Center, Handgun Mastery class

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Whelp I brought up the concept of TPC and a class there in the "fall" with SWMBO tonight. I did not receive a "NO!" so I will continue to work on this.

Positives were St George (we have travelled in/through on our way to Hurricane UT and Zion National Park several times, so we are pretty familiar) plus Vegas! (she likes the concept of a few days post-class to "do" Vegas) as well as cheap flights.

So I am in with a chance.
    I reviewed our fall vacation plans with Mrs. RJ tonight. I am happy to report I received permission attend TPC’s 3 day Handgun Mastery Program in Hurricane UT, Fri 11th to Sun 13th October 2019.

We will likely sandwich this in between a few days at Zion National Park (pretty much one of my favorite places on earth) and some time in Vegas on either end.

EDIT

I registered and paid with TPC just now. So I guess we are going.
    Last edited by RJ; 04-03-2019 at 08:49 PM.

@RJ How was the class? Would love to hear your observations......

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I reviewed our fall vacation plans with Mrs. RJ tonight. I am happy to report I received permission attend TPC’s 3 day Handgun Mastery Program in Hurricane UT, Fri 11th to Sun 13th October 2019.

We will likely sandwich this in between a few days at Zion National Park (pretty much one of my favorite places on earth) and some time in Vegas on either end.

EDIT

I registered and paid with TPC just now. So I guess we are going.

User Tag List