Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Boat Knife for Canada

RFI: Boat Knife for Canada

I'm going to be in Desolation Sound for a few days on a boat in August of this year. Small plane out of Seattle to get to Prideaux, then boat back to Seattle.

I'll be responsible for all man-related tasks on the boat, and I'm thinking of the right knife. I'll make sure there's a filet knife on board, but I'm wondering more about an EDC. I'm thinking of a fixed-blade like my little Dozier but this might be a good excuse to buy a Griptilian.

Shown for scale.

Left side.

Right side.

In the sheath.

What do I need to know about bringing a knife into Canada?

thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Hard to go wrong with Bob's work. Been a while since I last traveled into CA for backpacking and canoeing but they never had any issues with my blades when it was obvious what they were intended for.

You may end up with some minor pitting on the D2 depending on your uses.
    Last edited by blues; 04-03-2018 at 09:11 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

My first thought was a Canadian Belt knife (which I always thought was a "canoe knife"), but my second thought was "Ask @misanthropist..."
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    My first thought was a Canadian Belt knife (which I always thought was a "canoe knife"), but my second thought was "Ask @misanthropist..."
    But the Grohmnann's have much more panache and history behind them than anything from Lynn Thompson.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

I like the Spyderco Salt series for working on boats.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    You may end up with some minor pitting on the D2 depending on your uses.
    The above is what I'd worry about on a boat. D2 is a great steel for work (and Dozier's knives are superb) but resisting oxydation is not its top quality.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    But the Grohmnann's have much more panache and history behind them than anything from Lynn Thompson.
    Very true. I wound up linking to the first example, which (probably due to adverti$ing) was the Cold Steel product however I worded the search.

The Grohman's also has many options for blade material, grind, handle material, and sheath design.

I note that I was thinking "canoe knife", but an alternative to "belt knife" seems to be "boat knife". I apologize to any of our Canadian friends who were offended by my stereotyping them by thinking a Canadian boat was automatically a canoe.
    Last edited by Drang; 04-04-2018 at 12:36 PM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by secondstoryguy View Post
    I like the Spyderco Salt series for working on boats.
    Check out the Spyderco Enuff sheep foot salt. Fixed blade and serrated for cutting line etc.

Get something cheap And get a couple. Moras.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I would just take the Dozier and get a Sentry Solutions Marine Tough Cloth.

User Tag List