Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sling- single or two point?

Having conducted literally thousands of both indoor and outdoor high risk searches with a 12 ga. Shotgun, it is one of the guns I often run a single point sling. My most used gun and primary home defense gun is equipped with a single point. I have found the benefits in the field during actual real world use in urban operations with the 12 ga. favored a single point as far as pro’s versus cons.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 04-05-2018 at 09:05 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Having conducted literally thousands of both indoor and outdoor high risk searches with a 12 ga. Shotgun, it is one of the guns I often run a single point sling. My most used gun and primary home defense gun is equipped with a single point. I have found the benefits in the field during actual real world use in urban operations with the 12 ga. favored a single point as far as pro’s versus cons.
    What is your preferred 1-point sling? I'm considering this for an SBS, so maybe it won't be a terrible idea for me?

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Do you like hitting yourself in the nuts when you transition to a handgun? If so, a single point is for you.
    This times a thousand!
    Rick
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    What is your preferred 1-point sling? I'm considering this for an SBS, so maybe it won't be a terrible idea for me?
    Set up right, something like a Magpul MS 4 would be the way to go. I had one on one shotgun that could work as both a two point or single point as needed.

I guess because I never, not one single time transitioned from my gauge to a pistol by simply dropping the gun have I had an issue with harming myself. I think you have some responsibility for muzzle control which is done with the Support hand while the primary goes to the pistol. Don’t know if this has ever been done by anyone in the field of dropping an empty shotgun on single point and hitting themselves while transitioning to a pistol. The problem with not control slung guns and gear was reflected when a unarmed probed out teen was killed when a SWAT officers Benelli discharged when a center mounted knife on a vest got hung up in a trigger guard. We simply need to understand how our gear works and fits. I also know that plenty of long guns have gotten hung up on door handles in both structures and vehicles, entangled with gear and other issues that make he single point a good thing in some scenarios. Like he shotgun......it’s a niche weapon for a niche that applies to a ton of folks. The single point is one of those things that fits in far better in the field or in your home than it does doing range drills or in a military scenario or carrying the gun for long periods.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 04-05-2018 at 02:44 PM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

Set up right, something like a Magpul MS 4 would be the way to go. I had one on one shotgun that could work as both a two point or single point as needed.

I guess because I never, not one single time transitioned from my gauge to a pistol by simply dropping the gun have I had an issue with harming myself. I think you have some responsibility for muzzle control which is done with the Support hand while the primary goes to the pistol. Don’t know if this has ever been done by anyone in the field of dropping an empty shotgun on single point and hitting themselves while transitioning to a pistol. The problem with not control slung guns and gear was reflected when a unarmed probed out teen was killed when a SWAT officers Benelli discharged when a center mounted knife on a vest got hung up in a trigger guard. We simply need to understand how our gear works and fits. I also know that plenty of long guns have gotten hung up on door handles in both structures and vehicles, entangled with gear and other issues that make he single point a good thing in some scenarios. Like he shotgun......it’s a niche weapon for a niche that applies to a ton of folks. The single point is one of those things that fits in far better in the field or in your home than it does doing range drills or in a military scenario or carrying the gun for long periods.
    Makes sense. Bungee, or no? I had an MS4 and would prefer not to go down that path again.
    Last edited by Unobtanium; 04-05-2018 at 09:24 PM.

I use a Northeast Tactical bungee single point on my 870P SBS. That and an AR pistol are just about the only times that I like a single point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCountry View Post
    Good to go. The VTAC sling is the issue sling of the FBI, DHS / ICE and I believe CBP among others. I’ve been using one over 10 years.

Plus they make a replacement buckle for it with a QD point which allows you to convert it from a two point to a one point on the rare occasions that is an advantage.

http://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-2to1.htm

Not for use by people with shorter than 34" inseams.

I had, for about 10 minutes, my 870 setup almost identically. And I discovered that the sling 1) Either had to be short and tight to avoid the muzzle banging the floor. Or 2) The muzzle hit the floor.

28.5" inseam guy over here notes that if you sling a 32" long weapon such that approximately 24-26" of its length is ahead of you...you're gonna have a bad time.

Two point slings solve this issue.

Site Supporter
    I am 5’9” and have a 30 inch inseam. The muzzle of an 18-inch barreled 870 on a single point sling hanging on me doesn’t come particularly close to smacking the deck unless I suddenly crouch or drop to my knees without guiding the muzzle.

But conducting similar movement even with a 2 point sling inside a home is also liable to result in the muzzle smacking unwanted objects or surfaces if you’re just letting the weapon hang unguided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We need to be smart on this. If it does not work for you physically it is a mute conversation. Obviously if you are shorter with a long gun, it won’t work and you need to move on to something that will.

Bungee’s.....do not like them on a single point and that is where a lot of issues come from. The weight of a fully equipped 870 on a single loop bungee will result in some serious issues. Again, common sense. I LOVE bungee type slings in a two point in a very short set up like the very back of the receiver on an AR and the rearmost position on the handguard. A ton of the single point benefits without the most of the negatives.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 04-06-2018 at 07:32 AM.

User Tag List