Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sling- single or two point?

My home defense shotgun is a 20” 870P, which I have a MS3 on, is setup as single point. I leave it that way so I can leave it in a position that will not get hung up on the mount, and still be easy to toss on. I do have a mount to switch to two point, which I try to do on all of my guns.

I also have a TAC-14, which in its stock form, I have two QD points for my MS4; one on forend, one on plate in front of grip (had to modify the sidesaddle plate for it to fit). I like to have options, so I also picked up a Suarez International Folding Brace for it. Due to the design, I couldn’t run the plate because of the gap between the Magpul grip and trigger guard/safety.

To figure out the rear QD point, I pulled the sling loop on top of the folding mechanism... threaded post with a lock nut. Got the Magpul Type 1 QD mount, went to Lowe’s to get a similar bolt/hardware... and solution is found. I got stainless, but going to be a moot point, as I will be having Robar redo the entire firearm in NP3 Plus. But with the profile/weight of either setup, I prefer single point for it. If I needed to secure it better, pop the sling loop apart and put it in the forward QD point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    We need to be smart on this. If it does not work for you physically it is a mute conversation. Obviously if you are shorter with a long gun, it won’t work and you need to move on to something that will.

Bungee’s.....do not like them on a single point and that is where a lot of issues come from. The weight of a fully equipped 870 on a single loop bungee will result in some serious issues. Again, common sense. I LOVE bungee type slings in a two point in a very short set up like the very back of the receiver on an AR and the rearmost position on the handguard. A ton of the single point benefits without the most of the negatives.
    For the sake of clarity, because my weed eater comments read a little disparaging and terse....

I found that all of my issues came from the following:

1) Improper application - I was using a MS2 as a GP sling (because it was "cool"), during outdoor and carbine match use, the result of which were nut shots and beat up knees if not controlling the long gun with off hand while drawing/shooting my secondary and/or any kind of movement. In other words, not the sling's fault.
    2) Used on long guns with excessive OAL. Basically, a 16" carbine. I'm 5'11", and while the muzzle didn't come close to dragging at hang, it was too low for my liking (just below my knees) when the sling was adjusted for easy shoulder transitions. In other words, not the sling's fault.

So they didn't work for me due to "how" I was using them and with "what" I was using them on, but they have their place as DB points out. Do to my typical needs, I've chosen not to bother with SBR's, but if I did, and I used one for HD, I'd likely bring the single-point in from the garage and give it a go.
    Last edited by StraitR; 04-06-2018 at 09:00 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    We need to be smart on this. If it does not work for you physically it is a mute conversation. Obviously if you are shorter with a long gun, it won’t work and you need to move on to something that will.

Bungee’s.....do not like them on a single point and that is where a lot of issues come from. The weight of a fully equipped 870 on a single loop bungee will result in some serious issues. Again, common sense. I LOVE bungee type slings in a two point in a very short set up like the very back of the receiver on an AR and the rearmost position on the handguard. A ton of the single point benefits without the most of the negatives.
    Ever used/heard of/thought about the "PIG slider"?

I like the Magpul MS4 since most times I leave it configured as a two point sling, but in a matter of a couple of seconds I can switch over to single point and quickly adjust the fit via the slider.

Mileage and groin injuries may vary...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Ever used/heard of/thought about the "PIG slider"?
    Nope. The one gun I really want a single point on has the same sling on it that I have used for pushing 20 years. It was a bit of a one off to work with an older style side saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I like the Magpul MS4 since most times I leave it configured as a two point sling, but in a matter of a couple of seconds I can switch over to single point and quickly adjust the fit via the slider.

Mileage and groin injuries may vary...
    These days, I think these types of slings and configurations solve a lot of problems and give the user some solid options based on the situation.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

I really dislike single point slings. I can get by with 3 point slings on non-pump guns but prefer 2 points.

I was originally issued a single point sling with my 1014 and I thought it was pretty cool coming from shooting slings and modified shooting slings with duct tape and paracord at first but quickly learned to dislike them.

I just think that 2 points have a little more control over the weapon if my hands are occupied.

Trying to take a leak is easier too.

Fwiw I also seldom use slings. I typically carry long guns in my hands and only sling if I really need too.

I started deer hunting on admiralty island when I was 14 and got a few lessons on why your weapon should always be in you hands due to the high concentration of brownies. I don't even sling my 22s when squirrel hunting now.
    Last edited by 03RN; 04-06-2018 at 09:13 PM.

If you are actually carrying the gun a lot and out in the field....the single point is the wrong sling. It is a CQB thing..period. Here is what I am running on my general purpose do it all dead stock Beretta TX4. It is a rubber stretchy sling I get from a guy who sets up at the Dallas Safari Club show and is usually mobbed by the professional guides and serious hunters buying hese things in quantity. Again, different purpose, different solution.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.

My current setup is an MS4 hanging over the passenger headrest in my patrol car. I can throw it over my head prior to arriving at a call, and grab either AR or shottie while getting out of the car. The guns have QD mounts, and are racked slick, with no sling to hang up on anything. I'll attach either to the MS4 in either 1 or 2 point configuration as needed.

I'm 5'5"-ish, and have always run my sling over my right shoulder and under the left arm. When dropping the long gun, I guide it to my left, and the radio on my duty belt works decently as a catch......never knocked myself in the twins.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 04-07-2018 at 12:31 PM.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Blue Force Vickers sling or VTAC sling...

We issued 3 points for years, and our SRT guys got single points. We have issued VTACs for about 3 years now. After using all types, the 2 point is by far the most versatile “all around” sling set up. Single has its place, but overall, I am not a fan. 3 point has its place with a HK that had all the hooks and mounts in the right place, but for most other guns they suck ass.

BFG, VTAC, MagPul... in that order. Just my humble $.02 worth of experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Blue Force Vickers sling or VTAC sling...

We issued 3 points for years, and our SRT guys got single points. We have issued VTACs for about 3 years now. After using all types, the 2 point is by far the most versatile “all around” sling set up. Single has its place, but overall, I am not a fan. 3 point has its place with a HK that had all the hooks and mounts in the right place, but for most other guns they suck ass.

BFG, VTAC, MagPul... in that order. Just my humble $.02 worth of experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would agree with all of the above, so we are up to $.04.

User Tag List