Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer P226 P229 - Quality questions

Sig Sauer P226 P229 - Quality questions

I have always wanted a P226/P229 for as long as I can remember. What's the story with current production classic series Sigs (the basic variety, non-legion, etc.) I heard there were changes under the new management (and not for the better). What's the current group think? New ones gtg? Only buy used? If so what do you look for (short extractor, etc?)*

Or if there is a definitive guide somewhere on the web...feel to point in right direction.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

My P226R-9mm was made & bought in 2012; my P229R-9mm was made in 2013 and bought in 2015.

My P226R came with the long extractor and E2 grip. My example developed an intermittent failure to extract problem after a few thousand rounds. Instead of sending the slide into SIG, I changed the extractor springs myself, which cured the problem. If that didn't cure the problem, I then would have returned the slide to SIG for them to fix.

My P229R is what was called a "legacy" model which had the older frame, taking the slightly smaller P228 9mm mags, a short extractor, and the E2 grip.

Due to personal preference/feel, I've changed the grips to SIG plastic screw on grip panels. I like the E2 grip, too, I've just been using the older-type screw-on grip panels. I've also reversed the mag catch as I erroneously/intermittently drop the mag if it's configured for a normal right-handed person (on the left). I now have the mag catch protruding from the right as a left-handed person would have it.

Overall, these SIGs have been great. I've got 15,100 rounds through the P226 and 12,000 rounds through the P229.

I'm still mainly a Glock-guy, however.

Site Supporter
    The advice I was given was to hunt for a short extractor model - known quality, preferably with a german frame.

I went older and snagged an internal extractor. Zero issues - but the folded slide models have limited factory support, so if you need an extractor, you're going to pay a pretty penny for one - if you can find one.

I'm looking forward to my next Sig being a milled slide, short extractor model.

Sig is a complete dumpster fire these days, with a major design problem they refused to acknowledge, a recall they refused to call a recall, customer service that's mixed at best, and endless iterations on finishes and grip changes for premium prices.

I would imagine most of the legacy pistols are still pretty good. If you just want one because you've always wanted one, you should get one. But otherwise I have no clue why people do business with this company at this point, or why there's such a following for their most recent not-drop-safe Glock competitor. Is it just because it's a modern DA/SA and there are so few?

Honestly, why risk it? Plenty of other companies make serviceable handguns.
    Last edited by TheRoland; 04-03-2018 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    Sig is a complete dumpster fire these days, with a major design problem they refused to acknowledge, a recall they refused to call a recall, customer service that's mixed at best, and endless iterations on finishes and grip changes for premium prices.

I would imagine most of the legacy pistols are still pretty good. If you just want one because you've always wanted one, you should get one. But otherwise I have no clue why people do business with this company at this point, or why there's such a following for their most recent not-drop-safe Glock competitor. Is it just because it's a modern DA/SA and there are so few?

Honestly, why risk it? Plenty of other companies make serviceable handguns.
    Well said, couldn’t agree more. I used to love Sigs. I grew up shooting my dads 9mm P220 and watching NCIS and thought Sigs were the coolest pistols ever! I bought a P320 shortly before the drop fire issues because I had always wanted a Sig. It was ok but much more difficult for me to shoot well than other striker fired pistols. Once the drop fire issue came out and I saw how Sig handled it, I traded it for a Glock and have never regretted it. Their recent release of another so called game changer with major issues right out of the box confirms to me that I made the right choice. At this point, without major changes at Sig, nothing could persuade me to buy a Sig. I still think they are cool, but only as far as looks and function is more important to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I really liked my P226R. Shoots well and very reliable. I carried it for 5 years until I decided to move on to something lighter. I expect to have my kit up on the FSOT board mid May or so. PM me for details if you’re interested.
    David S.

The current base P226 and P229 in 9mm are very good and still among the most accurate and reliable SA/DA 9mm pistols on the market. I'd say they are on par with the base Beretta 92, FNS, etc. You run an increased chance of a lemon by straying into their bling models (tac ops, scorpion, etc.). The only manufacturer that is producing consistently more robust flagship pistols is probably HK. While it is possible that you may get a lemon, a P226 or P229 will generally serve you well provided that you do your part. By that I mean changing out the recoil springs every 3-4000 rounds or so (depending on caliber and ammo). I also replace the other springs and pens about every 15,000 rounds along with a detail strip and replacement of any worn parts. Generally, I replace my high stress small parts (extractor, ejector, etc.) at least every 30,000 rounds even if they look good. Yes, they could go longer but these are tools on which my life depends. Bruce Gray has an excellent video tutorial on how to detail strip and perform preventive maintenance on the P-series that you should get if you invest in a P-series gun.

Just my dos pesos...
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-03-2018 at 08:33 PM.
    I like my rifles like my women - short, light, fast, brown, and suppressed.

I’ve owned multiple 226’s all of them more recent productions. All of them were trouble free, extremely accurate, and a lot of fun to shoot. The last one was a Legion model that had over 10k through it. The finish wore quickly but no issues other wise.

229’s have been a little less reliable for me. The last one was an E2. I had several failures to extract in the first 2k rounds but after that it was fine. I added an SRT kit to it and G10 grips but was stock otherwise. Had the best trigger of any Sig I’ve shot.

I’m hooked on Berettas now but still have a soft spot for Sigs.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

In addition to the other comments regarding iffy quality control, current sig has also been known to replace parts that have traditionally been decent with Indian-produced MIM. The current X series guns and Legions no longer have solid tool steel gray guns triggers, but now come with "grayguns designed" triggers made in India via MIM. The change happened quietly with Sig never formally announcing it to customers. That, amongst the reasons noted above, make Sig a real hard pill to swallow these days.

Ditto on all the QC concerns previously stated. I REALLY like this 226R I had laying around for a good while and revisited it. It’s a late 2005 gun with a German frame and short external extractor. I think it was Todd that pointed out the early 00’s manufactured Sigs are the best ones, I wouldn’t go and buy a newly made Sig especially since you can get an early 00’s gun with the short extractor for the fraction of the cost of a new one if you look around websites that normally stock LE guns.

Name:  01590A16-7EBB-4981-8631-94A055DF582B.jpg
Views: 3573
Size:  97.8 KB

I got the holster a few days ago and painted the front sight earlier today and I’ll be at the range tomorrow morning then take the gun to a 2 day class very soon. I should know better than to use a Sig especially since I have better options available..

User Tag List