Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Modern Technique" and "Competition Driven Shooting"

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."
    Will Rogers

I don't want any courses beyond the beginner level to work on multiple techniques of grip and stance. I already know what I'm looking for.
    I don't think that in any way negates what Jeff and Marty said. If everyone was at that "I already know" level it might be, but the majority of shooters are not at the high end of the ladder, they are still operating lower down. And thus an instructor needs to be able to figure out what might work best for different individuals.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    I'll never go to an instructor who considers themselves to be at the end point of his learning curve when it comes to shooting technique.
    This. So many times this. Every single year that I've shot seriously, I've learned new ways to improve my shooting, whether it's my grip, stance, etc there's always something I could do better. There's no such thing as too fast or too accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
    I don't think that in any way negates what Jeff and Marty said. If everyone was at that "I already know" level it might be, but the majority of shooters are not at the high end of the ladder, they are still operating lower down. And thus an instructor needs to be able to figure out what might work best for different individuals.

True. That's pretty obvious.

Given the composition of this forum, I thought it was assumed that we're talking about teaching beyond "Handgun 101".
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    True. That's pretty obvious.

Given the composition of this forum, I thought it was assumed that we're talking about teaching beyond "Handgun 101".
    Yeah, I don't believe in teaching beginners one technique and advanced shooters another. It's so difficult to erase early programming that it is better to teach people the right technique the right way from the get go.

How does one approach teaching multiple techniques in the same class?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    How does one approach teaching multiple techniques in the same class?
    My experience with such has been in the military, and then in John Murphy's "Concealed Carry for Self-Defense," both of which experiences were geared at people who've never done more than learn how to safely handle a gun. CCSD being 16 hours, the training in the USMC being a few hours per day for just over a week.

In both instances, we were instructed on the weaver and given time to shoot it, and then instructed on iso and given time to shoot it. You evaluate which is best for you, or the instructor would note that you've been doing better/worse with one. You shoot what you want, it's up to you to realize what works better and make a decision. In both experiences I've had, the instructors gave reasons for their personal preference but let your shoot what you want so you can learn yourself instead of just being told what's black and what's white.

This way, you've got a baseline understanding and experience of what is what, and what it feels like/shoots like. The aim of those courses aren't to get you into the sub-7 second FAST range or hitting a 50/50 Dot Torture at 5 yards. They're to expose you to different methods, let you pick, and practice with it while under the tutelage of an instructor who can offer feedback on what is/isn't working for you. After you've done that, then you should go on and seek further training on techniques and proficiency like taking Todd's courses, VSM courses from our very own Jay Cunningham, or MT courses with all those who've been mentioned here. The point of these courses is to teach you a specific technique (ex: press-out), not find a different technique to work.

To take courses over and over that explore iso vs weaver or whatever would serve no purpose. You'd just be rehashing the same info, and not advancing your technique with studying a specific way to do things.

I would echo what others have said about how learning should be continuous. Learning (in any aspect of life) should only stop when you die.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-13-2012 at 04:55 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    This. So many times this. Every single year that I've shot seriously, I've learned new ways to improve my shooting, whether it's my grip, stance, etc there's always something I could do better. There's no such thing as too fast or too accurate.
    How many years is that Caleb? I have been shooting seriously for about 35+ years, competing for 30+ years, not to mention the THOUSAND + HOURS of firearms training courses I have personally attended, and the several thousand hours of firearms training courses I have taught. I think I have my own shooting figured out now. If I don't, a few hours with the next latest and greatest Guru probably won't make much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post

Why not just tweak the grip with the gun? Seems to be quite effective based on the discussions in another section of this forum.

Sorry for asking too many questions. I am a technical guy and I tend to approach things a little differently than most. Not seeing much support for Weaver makes it hard to believe there is any advantage at all.
    Why not just tweak everything then? The point is, one type of stance/grip doesn't work for everyone, with all different sized guns, and different sized hands. A little tweak here, and lttle tweak there, and pretty soon you are might have a stance that works for you, instead of following the herd.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Hayes View Post
    How many years is that Caleb? I have been shooting seriously for about 35+ years, competing for 30+ years, not to mention the THOUSAND + HOURS of firearms training courses I have personally attended, and the several thousand hours of firearms training courses I have taught. I think I have my own shooting figured out now. If I don't, a few hours with the next latest and greatest Guru probably won't make much difference.
    What kind of performance tracking do you do? Any results you are willing to disclose publicly?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List