Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: "The Modern Technique" and "Competition Driven Shooting"

Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    For CM-09-04 "Pucker Factor" this weekend, did you shoot it Weaver or Isosceles?
    Neither. I shot it "Marty" stance.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Can you describe what technique works best for the the middle of the bell curve? Then, can you describe what technique works best for the ends of the bell curve, and your reasoning for why a different techniqueis warranted there?
    No. Not in the self-imposed time I spend on these forums.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Who might be better served with a variation of Weaver?
    Someone shooting a Keltec .380 or a 2" j-frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Hayes View Post
    Someone shooting a Keltec .380 or a 2" j-frame.
    Why?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    I would wholeheartedly disagree with this.

I don't want any courses beyond the beginner level to work on multiple techniques of grip and stance. I already know what I'm looking for.

If I go to one of Todd's courses, it's because I want to study his school of ninjitsu.

If I go to Kyle Defoor's school or Vicker's (or one of his VSM instructors), it's because I want to study his ninjitsu.

And so on. As I gain experience, if something works better or shows promise of working better with a tenable training regimen, I pick up that school of ninjitsu and practice it until I find another school of ninjitsu that's better. Along the way, I might pick up little techniques here and there from other instructors. But the fact you show up to "Get SOM" and are sucking with iso doesn't mean Todd should change gears and start teaching you SOM with weaver techniques because it works better for you......that's totally against the point of taking the course.

Continuing to take courses which go over weaver vs iso would serve no purpose beyond the beginners level.
    I frankly agree with what you said. Same reason I don't take the plethora of "modern isosceles" technique driven courses. I know the stance, don't like it, and am not going to waste my money on it. In fact, I don't take any technique driven training courses, because I have worked out in my mind what works for me under what circumstances. I continue to take courses concentrating on teaching teaching and/or tactics.

Banned
    Neither. I shot it "Marty" stance.
    Do you teach this stance? What are the characteristics of this technique?

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Why?
    Assuming average or larger hands, the "modern isos" grip will roast the person's left hand thumb, and/or get the weak hand fingers too close to the muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by beltjones View Post
    Do you teach this stance? What are the characteristics of this technique?
    I don't each any stance, I teach the shooter to use what shooting techniques work best for them. If I were to describe my stance that I use with a 1911, it would be a blend of isos and weaver.

Gotta go boys, see you tonight.

Banned
    I frankly agree with what you said. Same reason I don't take the plethora of "modern isosceles" technique driven courses. I know the stance, don't like it, and am not going to waste my money on it. In fact, I don't take any technique driven training courses, because I have worked out in my mind what works for me under what circumstances. I continue to take courses concentrating on teaching teaching and/or tactics.
    I know we're all beating up on Marty, and frankly I appreciate with him still sticking around this thread.

However, good golly. I'll never go to an instructor who considers themselves to be at the end point of his learning curve when it comes to shooting technique. Whether it's shooting, cooking, fighting, driving, etc, there is never an end to the improvement of technique. Believing oneself to be finished with learning technique is the surest way to get left behind by the rest of the world.

Assuming average or larger hands, the "modern isos" grip will roast the person's left hand thumb, and/or get the weak hand fingers too close to the muzzle.
    Why not just tweak the grip with the gun? Seems to be quite effective based on the discussions in another section of this forum.

Sorry for asking too many questions. I am a technical guy and I tend to approach things a little differently than most. Not seeing much support for Weaver makes it hard to believe there is any advantage at all.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

User Tag List