Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is reloading from slide lock really slower than a speed reload?

Is reloading from slide lock really slower than a speed reload?

You be the judge. Maybe a little bit, but I don't really think so. I think the slide stop is just one more thing to do and shouldn't slow you down much.

All I know is that I know nothing. - Socrates

We are diminished
    Depends completely on the ergonomics of the gun. My in and out of battery reloads with most guns are identical.

My in battery reloads are slightly faster with my Shadow as well my 2nd shot after the reload is usually faster too as I seem to get a better grip on the gun with the in battery reloads. Could be just a mental block though.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    I don't have a shot timer

It looks like these links are talking about overhand vs. slide stop though, both on a locked back situation. That ship has sailed for me. There seems to be a common misconception though - maybe not here it looks like - that a slide lock reload is slower than an in-battery/speed reload.

1) must assume using your dominant thumb on the slide stop, as support thumb on the slide stop adds time?

2) must also assume you know the slide is about to lock back, so there is not a delay for recognition of being at slide lock versus the slide forward reload you initiate.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    1) must assume using your dominant thumb on the slide stop, as support thumb on the slide stop adds time?
    I believe this is so, especially if you adhere to the school of thought that you shouldn't present the gun forward before you've established both hands' grip on the gun after the reload.

2) must also assume you know the slide is about to lock back, so there is not a delay for recognition of being at slide lock versus the slide forward reload you initiate.
    That's a very good point. OTOH, you'd only do the in-battery reload as a voluntary step (it would never be "from surprise") so it's sort of apples & oranges.

Question on slide stop manipulation, now that I am shooting a Glock, as opposed to the M&P which only seemed to occasionally require use of the slide stop.

When trying to preload the slide stop, I induced a stoppage too much, if I had any hiccup in seating the magazine, to be comfortable with this method. Using the slide stop with my support thumb was reliable in terms of not inducing a stoppage, but slow.

Keeping my dominant thumb down off the slide stop until the magazine is seated, seems to avoid inducing stoppages, but be no detriment to speed, since my support thumb is still slower back to the frame than my dominant thumb -- this sound right?

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    When trying to preload the slide stop, I induced a stoppage too much, if I had any hiccup in seating the magazine, to be comfortable with this method.
    What kind of stoppage?

Keeping my dominant thumb down off the slide stop until the magazine is seated, seems to avoid inducing stoppages, but be no detriment to speed, since my support thumb is still slower back to the frame than my dominant thumb -- this sound right?
    Have you measured it on a timer and if so what is the difference? Especially given your extensive 1911 experience I'd think the WH thumb would be very natural for you.

Beyond that, I'm not crazy about the idea of putting my SH thumb there during the reload. You're having to move it up (to above the lever) then back down (to press the lever) then back up (to your neutral grip position). It seems like a lot of movement and opportunity to mess up other aspects of your SH grip. But if it works for you with your hands and your gun, and on the clock it's faster than using the WH thumb, drive on. First rule: if it works for you, it works.

The time it takes for the old mag to drop free and the new mag coming up to meet the gun has always been enough time for me to identify and address an unexpected slide lock reload.

User Tag List