Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not to put too fine a point on it...CA...WTF?

Not to put too fine a point on it...CA...WTF?

https://apnews.com/377caaf421964a1bb...can-shoot-guns

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Several lawmakers and the family of a 22-year-old unarmed black man who was fatally shot by police are proposing Tuesday that California become the first state to significantly restrict when officers can open fire.

The legislation would change the standard from using “reasonable force” to “necessary force.”

That means officers would be allowed to shoot only if “there were no other reasonable alternatives to the use of deadly force” to prevent imminent serious injury or death, said Lizzie Buchen, legislative advocate for the American Civil Liberties Union, which is among the groups behind the measure.

The goal is to encourage officers to try to defuse confrontations or use less deadly weapons, said Terry Schanz, a spokesman for Democratic Assemblyman Kevin McCarty of Sacramento, who is co-authoring the legislation with Assemblywoman Shirley Weber, a San Diego Democrat.

Some in law enforcement called the proposal “irresponsible and unworkable.”

Officers already use deadly force only when necessary and are taught to try to defuse dangerous situations first when possible, said Ed Obayashi, a Plumas County sheriff’s deputy and special prosecutor who trains officers and testifies in court on police use of force.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Get me out of here!!!
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Are they trying to get cops killed? What ever happened with the San Francisco proposal that cops could only shoot 2 rounds then they had to stop and evaluate before they could shoot again? My guess is that the cops became extremely efficient at evaluation.

I’m so glad I’m retired from LE. Feel sorry for my brothers and sisters who aren’t there yet.

I can’t imagine working under those restrictions and predict they will end up with the police they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Are they trying to get cops killed?

"Hey Sarge, would it be appropriate to draw my weapon yet?"
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Are they trying to get cops killed? What ever happened with the San Francisco proposal that cops could only shoot 2 rounds then they had to stop and evaluate before they could shoot again? My guess is that the cops became extremely efficient at evaluation.
    It’s just another nail in Proactive Police. And this is the stuff that results in communities getting note than what hey bargained for in unintended consequences.

Oh yay. Another stupid Leftist policy that will drive more Californian Leftist out of their state to inflict their stupidity on other peoples.

The Wall should really be built on the Ca border.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

What's the over-under on how long it will take for CA's crime rates to double?

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    What's the over-under on how long it will take for CA's crime rates to double?
    Pending passage of NIQ (nincompoopery in question): Soon™

Vending Machine Operator
    What an inane and utterly impossible-to-follow standard. Reasonableness is used throughout the law precisely because it's an objective overall standard to present to a jury. The phrasing "necessary" implies that there ever IS an objective necessity in situations like these. It entirely disregards the jurisprudential reasons we have a "reasonable" standard in the first place.

As a lawyer, it irritates me. As the brother of a cop, it infuriates me. I don't want to go to my brother's funeral because a legislature did all it could to inject doubt and fear into his defense of his own life. God am I glad not to be in California.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

User Tag List