Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heads up WST Users

Heads up WST Users

I recently switched jugs and noticed a big drop in velocity. I've been using WST behind my 150gr Blue Bullets for a couple years now, so I had a lot of historical data from jug to jug. 3.6-3.8 always got 133-135 PF out of my g17/34's.

After the switch, I was barely making 126PF on my Caldwell chrono and steel poppers at a match where a problem. I turned it up to 11(4.2 grains) and I'm barely making 130 out of my 34. It's enough that I'm dropping WST after I run this jug out(no major matches soon).

It's also worth noting that Hodgdon/Winchester does not list WST as a 9mm powder anymore on their website's data page.

Since someone will ask, I'm moving to TitsGroup.
    Blue Bullets Team dude

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theblacknight View Post
    I recently switched jugs and noticed a big drop in velocity. I've been using WST behind my 150gr Blue Bullets for a couple years now, so I had a lot of historical data from jug to jug. 3.6-3.8 always got 133-135 PF out of my g17/34's.

After the switch, I was barely making 126PF on my Caldwell chrono and steel poppers at a match where a problem. I turned it up to 11(4.2 grains) and I'm barely making 130 out of my 34. It's enough that I'm dropping WST after I run this jug out(no major matches soon).

It's also worth noting that Hodgdon/Winchester does not list WST as a 9mm powder anymore on their website's data page.

Since someone will ask, I'm moving to TitsGroup.
    I still have about a pound left from a 4 lb jug I found in a backwoods LGS during the great powder drought of 2013. I have switched to BE-86 for all of my handgun reloading, which duplicates service load velocities in the four calibers I use it for. May use the remainder of the WST for reduced power .44 magnum loads. Seven grains with a 240 grain cast bullet yields 850 fps average from a 3" S&W M29.

That TitsGroup powder is Tite
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    That TitsGroup powder is Tite
    Stinky, cheap, and awesome.
    #RESIST

W231 is sensitive to temperature changes. I’m not sure if WST is but it would be something to consider.

I went back to Bullseye and I’m really happy with it. It meters really consistently and burns cleaner than 231 for me. Seems consistent at any temperature. I always remembered Bullseye being really smokey and dirty. In hindsight it was probably attributable to lead bullets and not the powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Wst is very sensitive to temperature. One time I had keep my ammo in the ice box during two day major match. I stopped using WST for that reason even though I really like how soft it feels.

Yea WST is temp sensitive. That was it's only downside to me.
    Blue Bullets Team dude

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Stinky, cheap, and awesome.
    It's free ionbond for your internals!
    Blue Bullets Team dude

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    W231 is sensitive to temperature changes.
    It is not. (It used to be.)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    It is not. (It used to be.)
    Do you know when it was changed?

User Tag List