Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I'm getting a puppy. Any training book recommendations?

Another vote for Michael Ellis.

Dogs are pretty easy to train. People, well that's where the real work kicks in. Dogs need a job and training for them is just another job they're eager to do.

Shepard Collie mix is a good one. Both working breeds. They seem to be easier to train because it's one of the characteristics that breeders strive for. I've always worked with bird dogs but working and sporting breeds are all hard wired to work.

You have a fine looking prospect there. Good luck with your new student.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    You have a fine looking prospect there. Good luck with your new student.
    You know, despite all the advice I offered in this thread, I failed to mention this. So solly. Will endevor to improve...

pat

dont train with treats. Train for praise. As in when they get what you want and do it praise them up big time. Everytime.
    Find a trainer who follows that philosophy. If they do advanced training like protection or search and rescue or agility that would be the best bet.
    Read One Man and his Dog
    ISBN 0854565779 (ISBN13: 9780854565771)
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Nothing substantive to add but just wanted to say your new pup looks adorable and you are off to a good start getting some training. Wishing you the best with the new family member and to be honest I am a bit jealous Not enough time in the day right now but hopefully I can add one soon.

User Tag List