Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steel Target Recommendation?

Steel Target Recommendation?

Looking to get a steel target to change up from shooting cardboard bad guys all the time. I will primarily be shooting pistol but I want it to be able to handle shotgun as well. I will be using it an outdoor range with bays that are 30-35 Yards. I don’t think I can safely use an AR at those distances but if I can I would prefer one that can handle that as well.

The full size silhouette ones seem to big but I also don’t want a 8” circle. I want something that holds me accountable for accuracy as well. I found this https://www.tacticalar500targets.com...dap-1-2-ar550/ and it seems to be a good size to practice balancing speed and accuracy.

Any recommendations on targets?
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

Just my opinion, but that's too close to use a rifle on steel. Just about any steel target is going to get cratered eventually at that range and that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. I think MGM recommends 150 yards for using their steel with a rifle.

Gongshot.com has uspsa A zones that are the A zone from the "turtle" target. I have two of them and they make good accountability targets IMO. I also bought one of the MGM plate rack in a bucket sets from them that I really really like.

For a rifle, most targets recommend a minimum of 100 yards for steel.

You can consider a Rubber Dummy which is fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
    For a rifle, most targets recommend a minimum of 100 yards for steel.

You can consider a Rubber Dummy which is fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have considered that but I think I would prefer the audible feedback of steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Shooting is 90% mental. The rest is in your head." -Nils

For inexpensive steel, Defensetargets.com has a series of ready to ship products that are a great value.

Shooting rifles up close is a lot harder. The only stuff that will work 100% is expensive and from MGM.

For instance, their BC target can be shot as close as 15 yards because of the rake they put on the plate.
    https://mgmtargets.com/tactical-targ...ethbesgo45hc36

Their lolli-popper is another product that will take the abuse of rifle rounds up close. The steel will become pitted but the fact that the arms move so much mean that the fragment will go behind the target, not to the front.
    https://mgmtargets.com/gravity-movin...ethbesgo45hc36

If you want to spend the money, they make a target that combines the Lolli-popper with their BC zone.
    https://mgmtargets.com/gravity-movin...ethbesgo45hc36

Because they "flip" and send the fragment behind them, I've had good luck shooting the hostage taker plate on Defense targets stuff. You pit the steel but the frag doesn't come back at you.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    Looking to get a steel target to change up from shooting cardboard bad guys all the time. I will primarily be shooting pistol but I want it to be able to handle shotgun as well. I will be using it an outdoor range with bays that are 30-35 Yards. I don’t think I can safely use an AR at those distances but if I can I would prefer one that can handle that as well.

The full size silhouette ones seem to big but I also don’t want a 8” circle. I want something that holds me accountable for accuracy as well. I found this https://www.tacticalar500targets.com...dap-1-2-ar550/ and it seems to be a good size to practice balancing speed and accuracy.

Any recommendations on targets?
    Minimum safe distance with regular rifle ammo on steel is 100 yards. 50 with frangible ammo.

50 for slugs, 10 yards for buckshot and regular pistol ammo.

A pistol caliber carbine should let you safely shoot a long gun at the distances you describe (30-35 yards.)

We have one of the MGM BC/lollipop Combos. It's taken quite a beating and is holding up well but the BC zone might be bigger than what you want. I had a local guy make some similar but 6" shorter. So far they've held up but we've not had them as long

I have a bunch from https://www.shootsteel.com/

I hang them all from heavy enough chain that it can take a pistol hit.

I have three of their stands that just use 1" EMT conduit:
    https://www.shootsteel.com/collectio...gong-stand-kit
    a 10' piece here costs about $9, and I cut them in half. That gives me room to drill three u-bolts in, and hang a variety of plates, works best with two chains holding a plate, it lets it move but not so much you cannot double tap. They say 5' is too tall for the legs but we have been banging the hell out of them for several years now. I ended up not bothering with the pins in the legs because we tend to set them up and leave them in place for the session. The last set I bought I got them to sell me just the little tripod pieces.

I should take a picture of the setup someday, I even have a couple with a 10"x10" square with a 5" round headshot centered above it. That took a little trial and error to get right. The 5" round plate at about 30yds makes a great shot for the 9mmAR.

ETA: Their 1/4" stuff is interesting because it is cheap, can take a centerfire hit, but still moves from a 22 hit.
    PS: shooting this with the 9mmAR is a metric buttload of fun...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 04-02-2018 at 12:25 PM.

MGM has held up the best for me. The BC is my favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    We have one of the MGM BC/lollipop Combos. It's taken quite a beating and is holding up well but the BC zone might be bigger than what you want.
    My take is that the weight of the BC makes sure that the plate doesn't shift too much and allows it to stay at the angle that directs frag away from the shooter. When you go to a smaller plate, it is more likely to shift and allow the frag to travel in unpredictable directions. FWIW, I've shot the Ready to Ship from Defense Targets with 5.56 at 25 yards and haven't had and splatter but that target can't guarantee that performance the way the BC does.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

User Tag List